Everything you've wanted to know about golf but were afraid to ask.

Okay...this is a great thread, so since I'm no longer a stranger, what does it mean when they say he got a par with a "pop"? What does the word "pop" mean?
A "pop" is a handicap stroke, to my understanding. Thus a par with a pop is a gross par net birdie.

A pop/dot/blow is just a stroke on a hole when you're playing in a handicapped event. Scoring a 5 with a pop vs a 4 would halve the hole with net 4s.

A "pop" is a handicap stroke, to my understanding. Thus a par with a pop is a gross par net birdie.

To be honest this is confusing.
So a pop is a par scored via the fact that you received a stroke? You scored 5 but because you got a stroke its a 4? Is that right for a "pop"?

Next question.... Soft stepping is cutting the tip down (tipping) to intentionally increase flex so the shaft is between stiffness profiles? So a stiff flex that's been soft stepped would sit between an s and an x flex ( of the same model).

That is not correct on soft stepping. Soft-stepping is a method that is used in irons to make a shaft play a little softer than the stated flex. Say that you have 5-PW in your set of irons. If you wanted your iron shafts to be soft-stepped, you would take a shaft that is normally in a 4 iron and put it in your 5 iron, then the 5 iron shaft goes into the 6 iron, and so on. So for your question, a stiff flex that has been soft-stepped will sit between a regular and stiff flex, not being a stiff and a extra stiff.

So a pop is a par scored via the fact that you received a stroke? You scored 5 but because you got a stroke its a 4? Is that right for a "pop"?

You got it. Your gross score is the number of strokes that it takes to get the ball into the hole. Your net score is your gross score minus any strokes/pops/dots that you're getting (usually 1, but can be 2 in some cases with a very good player vs a not so very good player).

A pop is just a handicap stroke.

If you are a 10 handicap playing against a 5 handicap. You would get 5 strokes or pops.

If you are playing match play in that scenario... you would get strokes on handicap holes 1 through 5 and would play 6 through 18 straight up.

If you both made a bogey on handicap hole number 3, you would win the hole because your stroke gave you a net par.

Pop is just another term for a handicap stroke.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

Can I use an Orange Whip once the round begins? Say standing on the tee box waiting for someone to hit? Or is it considered a training device?

No, no and yes.

So... while we're on the subject of shafts, I hear guys talking about 70 gram shafts, etc. I'm assuming that's weight.

If so... how does the weight help, hurt or otherwise influence the club?

Can I use an Orange Whip once the round begins? Say standing on the tee box waiting for someone to hit? Or is it considered a training device?

Nope. It's a practice tool or swing aide.

Everything you've wanted to know about golf but were afraid to ask.

Ok so what's the proper ruling or what do you do when your ball is situated in a place where there is an obstruction that does not let you make a full swing or even a partial swing. Essentially you have no play... i.e. A tree, bush, butted up next to a cart path, etc..

Ok so what's the proper ruling or what do you do when your ball is situated in a place where there is an obstruction that does not let you make a full swing or even a partial swing. Essentially you have no play... i.e. A tree, bush, butted up next to a cart path, etc..
Unplayable lie. 1 stroke for every club length from the unplayable location of the ball.

Always the option of stroke and distance and replay the previous shot also.

Unplayable lie. 1 stroke for every club length from the unplayable location of the ball.

Always the option of stroke and distance and replay the previous shot also.

That's not right.

And you don't have to take an unplayable from a cart path. Nor from the other spots, though you may want to. But you get relief from the cart path. Only thing I am not sure about yet is the butted up against part rather than sitting on the actual cart path. Looking that up now!

That's not right.

And you don't have to take an unplayable from a cart path.
Ooops... my bad, 1 stroke for every 2 club lengths.

Cart path is a free drop within 1 club length (I believe) of the nearest point of full relief.

The other situations are natural obstructions and my original post with the revision above applies.

That's not right.

And you don't have to take an unplayable from a cart path. Nor from the other spots, though you may want to. But you get relief from the cart path. Only thing I am not sure about yet is the butted up against part rather than sitting on the actual cart path. Looking that up now!

24-2 says if the obstruction interferes with the stance or intended path of the swing, relief under 24-2b applies.

Free relief within 1 club of the nearest point of full relief not nearer the hole.

Ooops... my bad, 1 stroke for every 2 club lengths.

Cart path is a free drop within 1 club length (I believe) of the nearest point of full relief.

The other situations are natural obstructions and my original post with the revision above applies.

When you take an unplayable (not in a bunker), you can, under penalty of one stroke, drop anywhere to infinity behind you on a straight line of the ball and the hole. That might be into the woods, and stroke and distance might be the better play. Or you can drop within two club lengths no nearer the hole with one stroke penalty. I guess you technically could keep saying it is unplayable, take another penalty and move it two more clubs, but why would someone ever do that?

Not right either. When you take an unplayable (not in a bunker), you can, under penalty of one stroke, drop anywhere to infinity behind you on a straight line of the ball and the hole. That might be into the woods, and stroke and distance might be the better play. Or you can drop within two club lengths no nearer the hole with one stroke penalty. I guess you technically could keep saying it is unplayable, take another penalty and move it two more clubs, but why would someone ever do that?
I actually just saw that. I had no idea you could go on a straight line backwards. Good to know for the future!

Typically, my unplayable lies fall in the woods and backwards is not an option. I take my 2 club lengths and the stroke. I have had to take a second unplayable once... but the 2 strokes were better than the result ever would have been.

Thanks for the heads up!

I think you have three options.

The first option is to drop within two club lengths, no nearer the hole, of the location of the unplayable ball.
The second option is to hit your ball from the original location orcas close as possible. Effectively stroke and distance.
The third option is to drop the ball along a straight line from where the ball was initially deemed unplayable and the flag, but no nearer the hole. You may go back as far as you like.

So... while we're on the subject of shafts, I hear guys talking about 70 gram shafts, etc. I'm assuming that's weight.

If so... how does the weight help, hurt or otherwise influence the club?

When someone says they are playing a 70 gram shaft, it's roughly the weight. But a model number (say 70x) doesn't guarantee that it's actually 70 grams. Usually it's somewhere in the 70-79 gram range when uncut which is generally 46" raw/uncut. My Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 70x shaft is 73 grams uncut. The stiff version is 71 grams uncut. The torque difference is 3.1 in mine and 3.2 in the stiff. Both are considered low launching shafts.

As far as how it helps/hurts a player, that is dependent upon the individual using it and his/her swing. Generally the heavier you go, the stiffer the shaft is and the lower the torque is. But that's not always the case and does not always correlate between different brands and models. Generally the heavier shafts in the same make/model produce lower ball flights and less spin compared to their lighter counter parts.

So for example, if you hit a 70 gram stiff shaft in one model too low or with too little spin, the 60 gram version may be better for you. But it's no guarantee and requires some testing on your part to find out what gives you optimal numbers with the clubhead you are playing.

When someone says they are playing a 70 gram shaft, it's roughly the weight. But a model number (say 70x) doesn't guarantee that it's actually 70 grams. Usually it's somewhere in the 70-79 gram range when uncut which is generally 46" raw/uncut. My Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 70x shaft is 73 grams uncut. The stiff version is 71 grams uncut. The torque difference is 3.1 in mine and 3.2 in the stiff. Both are considered low launching shafts.

As far as how it helps/hurts a player, that is dependent upon the individual using it and his/her swing. Generally the heavier you go, the stiffer the shaft is and the lower the torque is. But that's not always the case and does not always correlate between different brands and models. Generally the heavier shafts in the same make/model produce lower ball flights and less spin compared to their lighter counter parts.

So for example, if you hit a 70 gram stiff shaft in one model too low or with too little spin, the 60 gram version may be better for you. But it's no guarantee and requires some testing on your part to find out what gives you optimal numbers with the clubhead you are playing.
That makes sense! Thanks!

That is not correct on soft stepping. Soft-stepping is a method that is used in irons to make a shaft play a little softer than the stated flex. Say that you have 5-PW in your set of irons. If you wanted your iron shafts to be soft-stepped, you would take a shaft that is normally in a 4 iron and put it in your 5 iron, then the 5 iron shaft goes into the 6 iron, and so on. So for your question, a stiff flex that has been soft-stepped will sit between a regular and stiff flex, not being a stiff and a extra stiff.
After that you trim the butt end of the club so the shaft length is correct.

When you take an unplayable (not in a bunker), you can, under penalty of one stroke, drop anywhere to infinity behind you on a straight line of the ball and the hole. That might be into the woods, and stroke and distance might be the better play. Or you can drop within two club lengths no nearer the hole with one stroke penalty. I guess you technically could keep saying it is unplayable, take another penalty and move it two more clubs, but why would someone ever do that?

I had this twice yesterday afternoon. Driver off the tee and pulled it left. The ball ended up against the boundary fence (but not out of bounds) and it was impossible to get a back swing due to the fence. I could not go backwards in line with the ball and hole due to the fence. A 2 club length drop ended up on the cart path, which then I thought gave me a 1 club length free relief no nearer the hole? So despite having two drops I thought I'd only get one penalty, the guys I was playing with said that was incorrect and I had to take a 2 shot penalty, one for the original unplayable and a second for being on the cart path.

I couldn't be bothered with the arguing it would have caused and took the 2 shot penalties......

I had this twice yesterday afternoon. Driver off the tee and pulled it left. The ball ended up against the boundary fence (but not out of bounds) and it was impossible to get a back swing due to the fence. I could not go backwards in line with the ball and hole due to the fence. A 2 club length drop ended up on the cart path, which then I thought gave me a 1 club length free relief no nearer the hole? So despite having two drops I thought I'd only get one penalty, the guys I was playing with said that was incorrect and I had to take a 2 shot penalty, one for the original unplayable and a second for being on the cart path.

I couldn't be bothered with the arguing it would have caused and took the 2 shot penalties......

I don't think so. You take a one shot penalty for the unplayable lie. If moving two club lengths puts you on the cart path, then you're entitled to a free drop as allowed in cart paths.

However, you need to drop the ball, shoulder level, arm length, two club lengths away for the unplayable lie, unless it's obvious that the ball will fall on the cart path.

Generally the heavier you go, the stiffer the shaft is and the lower the torque is. But that's not always the case and does not always correlate between different brands and models. Generally the heavier shafts in the same make/model produce lower ball flights and less spin compared to their lighter counter parts.

This is only accurate in steel.
Weight and flex have no correlation in graphite, which is one of the reasons that brands can manipulate shaft profiles so much differently in graphite.
As its been stated by many of the shaft experts on THP (The ones that make the shafts), one of the great things about composite materials is that a company can make a shaft the same flex regardless of weight. Its about material used and flag placement.

I don't think so. You take a one shot penalty for the unplayable lie. If moving two club lengths puts you on the cart path, then you're entitled to a free drop as allowed in cart paths.

However, you need to drop the ball, shoulder level, arm length, two club lengths away for the unplayable lie, unless it's obvious that the ball will fall on the cart path.
Even if it's obvious the ball will land on the path, you still need to drop it on the path. the ball could end up off of the path, and as long as it's within 2 club lengths of where it first landed, it is a fair drop.

Back