Tennis Elbow - What’s next?

fufu

Reaction score
Handicap
Ive been playing golf for 17 years. Out of nowhere I developed tennis elbow late last summer. I’ve never had a single problem with this in the past.

I played my last round in early October. Played two rounds in Mesquite in Jan and was in a ton of pain. Didn’t plan again until early April. Played this last Tuesday with some light pain after the round, played Friday with more pain after the round but nothing during the round. Then it happened...

I played today and the pain was immediate. On #5 tee I felt a nasty pop. Something finally gave...I played until 12 with a sting after every strike then I could barely grip the club or move my arm. I managed to limp into the clubhouse almost in tears....yes I should have stopped on 5.

I went straight home then to urgent care. I tore the muscle where it attaches to my elbow. The pain has been intense. Anyone dealt with this? Will I have to switch to graphite once I can play again? Doc said it’s too early to tell but my golf season is likely over. I have an MRI this week to access the full damage and go from there to see if it’s surgery or just rehab. I’m extremely bummed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I dealt with Tennis elbow about 2 years ago, came out of nowhere. Some stretches and light exercise helped.
Having the muscle tear away is rough, wish you a speedy recovery. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang hope you heal quickly and can make a full recovery.

I had tennis elbow a few years ago, were treating it with cortisone shots and those helped but soon was needed it about once a month instead of the normal twice a year or so, my pain was so bad that I couldn't even grab my coffee cup without intense pain, MRI showed some tears, I ended up having surgery, very easy surgery, no rehab after, and I was probably out of commission for maybe a month, though I did do mine after golf season. You may want to see if a cortisone shot will at least get you through the golf season then if surgery is needed do it at end of year.

Don't ask that question "whats next".You may get an answer that you don't like.I had partial bicep tear last spring that put me out of golf for about 5 wks.I asked what else could happen?....so this spring I torn my meniscus in my left knee and had surgery.Between the time of the tear, and surgery and rehab it's been 5 wks so far and probably a couple more till I can play again.But then again ,I am getting old and worn out.

Sorry to hear that happened. I was getting a bad sore elbow and mentioned it to the trainer at the gym. He had me pick up some light weight resistance bands to help strengthen the tendon. I try to do a 100 a day of each exercise. I do curls and pull downs. Easy to do and it does not take a ton of time. I have noticed a pretty big improvement and hardly and soreness in the elbow area at all. Good luck to you i hope you get back out soon.

Back