PING G410 Plus LST Driver

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This one is up on the USGA conforming list now. Rumors have been out that a release later this week is happening.

20190057.jpg

This looks awesome, but I think if the companies keep doing releases and then 2nd releases with new bells and whistles they are going to train us to wait to purchase things. I don't think that is a profitable habit to teach your customers. IMO the more FOMO my customer has the better my bottom line.

Very interested in this release. My buddy has been crushing the G410. That thing just sounds solid.

• Admin
This looks awesome, but I think if the companies keep doing releases and then 2nd releases with new bells and whistles they are going to train us to wait to purchase things. I don't think that is a profitable habit to teach your customers. IMO the more FOMO my customer has the better my bottom line.

This is the question that I think a lot of people are asking.
Im usually pretty much on the fence about secondary releases.
With this one one of the interesting parts is that they have released the three together in the past.

Looking forward to the feedback on this model. Have read a lot of good buzz about the G410.

With this one one of the interesting parts is that they have released the three together in the past.

i thought they were having some trouble with this one. either conformity, qc, or something else?

personally, i don't mind a staggered release when the messages are differentiable. i don't think anyone who knows what the lst is meant to do, would be frustrated that they already bought one of the others. the lst is its own animal in my mind. also helps that they have history with the lst, so those who wanted an upgraded lst probably have been waiting, rather than buying the 410 plus and now faced with the prospect of buying another very expensive driver.

• Admin
i thought they were having some trouble with this one. either conformity, qc, or something else?

personally, i don't mind a staggered release when the messages are differentiable. i don't think anyone who knows what the lst is meant to do, would be frustrated that they already bought one of the others. the lst is its own animal in my mind. also helps that they have history with the lst, so those who wanted an upgraded lst probably have been waiting, rather than buying the 410 plus and now faced with the prospect of buying another very expensive driver.

That is a good point. It would different from you from the Max for instance, where the message is less clear.

That is a good point. It would different from you from the Max for instance, where the message is less clear.

and i think there was some negative backlash about the max. the 400 message was that it was super forgiving, high moi, best driver we've made, yadda yadda yadda. then they released the max and were like, no no no, THIS ONE is the best. that was definitely confusing and i could see it being frustrating.

You would know much more about this than I would, but how much could they have possibly put into development of this club for them to say in January at the PGA Show that it's not ready, and then it's just over 3 months later and it's ready to hit the Tour (and retail soon)? I would imagine they already had prototypes ready to go for a while for testing over the winter. I'm just curious what could have happened under the hood to cause the delay in release.

You would know much more about this than I would, but how much could they have possibly put into development of this club for them to say in January at the PGA Show that it's not ready, and then it's just over 3 months later and it's ready to hit the Tour (and retail soon)? I would imagine they already had prototypes ready to go for a while for testing over the winter. I'm just curious what could have happened under the hood to cause the delay in release.

Straddling a line here, but my answer would be that it was ready, just not ready if that makes sense. Design was done. Club heads were not. By saying it was not ready, really is an honest answer, but more by omission. If that makes sense. All my opinion here of course.

I don't mind a secondary release like this one. It's been on the horizon for some time. We knew it was coming. So, one could wait should they want to purchase. It's the releases that come out of left field that get me.

It goes back to a thread posted a few days ago. FOMO I believe it was. A secondary release doesn't render the earlier model useless. As long as we're content with what we have, it shouldn't be much worry. I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm content with what I have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Straddling a line here, but my answer would be that it was ready, just not ready if that makes sense. Design was done. Club heads were not. By saying it was not ready, really is an honest answer, but more by omission. If that makes sense. All my opinion here of course.

It is interesting, PING can get away with saying "well, we didn't bring it out until we knew it was better than the last one" because they have some background of doing that. But other companies would get hammered for staggering releases.

It is interesting, PING can get away with saying "well, we didn't bring it out until we knew it was better than the last one" because they have some background of doing that. But other companies would get hammered for staggering releases.

Very true. History gives them that I guess. I agree with McLovin in regards to LST being known entity. Could you imagine if TaylorMade, Cobra or Callaway came out with shafts they made themselves? haha
This release makes a lot of sense from the stand point of golf season.

I am for multiple releases and I love golf equipment so have no issue with this one.

This one doesn't annoy me quite as much because we knew Ping offered a Max version in the past and probably assumed it was coming.

It annoyed me much more last year when I bought my G400 and then down the road the Max model came out without any warning.

It's going to be tough for me to buy anything new from any brands in the future right at release because of the FOMO.

The G410 seems like a low spinner in its own right. Will be curious how low this one goes.

As for multiple/secondary releases, the more the merrier... that just gives golfers more opportunity to find something that fits them better.
If you were a G410 adopter, the good news is Ping holds their resale value pretty well on the used market so to sell and move to a G410 LST shouldn't be too bad a hit to the pocket book.

This one doesn't annoy me quite as much because we knew Ping offered a Max version in the past and probably assumed it was coming.

It annoyed me much more last year when I bought my G400 and then down the road the Max model came out without any warning.

It's going to be tough for me to buy anything new from any brands in the future right at release because of the FOMO.

the one that gets me is the finish options. it bothers me when one finish is released, then a few months later another finish is released without warning. if the oem is honest up front and says they're releasing one finish now, and the new finishes later in the year, i'm ok with that.

I like that they got rid of the red on the driver. Wasn’t a fan of it.

I like that they got rid of the red on the driver. Wasn’t a fan of it.

Its a black and white photo from the USGA. I would not expect the red to be absent.

I'm liking my 400 MAX to the point where it probably won't pay me to chase a few yards. Being in the short grass is good enough for me...for now.
As far as staggered releases goes, I like choices and Ping also has a history with the timing of their releases.

Its a black and white photo from the USGA. I would not expect the red to be absent.

Slightly less red than the 410+

f64136b4deb68160188f34ba7fa52c46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really want to compare this to the G400.

Slightly less red than the 410+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if that's what comes to market, it looks 1,000% better than the other 410 models

I should add that I have no problems with secondary releases. My take on it is that once you have done it a few times, you're training your customers to wait for a bit after the initial release of new clubs to make sure you aren't holding something back. Once they wait a few months the chances of them getting something else or just deciding to pass on this upgrade altogether increases. Part of a new club sell is always going to be the compulsive nature of us equipment junkies, these secondary releases seem like they might serve to train us to tame our compulsive behavior.

if that's what comes to market, it looks 1,000% better than the other 410 models

It looks like Titleist colors though. Not bad, but I would have gone a different route.

It looks like Titleist colors though. Not bad, but I would have gone a different route.

i don't know. black/white/red is pretty generic overall. i don't think anyone would confuse this as a titleist club haha

Back