Your Biggest Golf Equipment Questions

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
If you could know the answer to ANY question related to golf equipment, what would you ask?

Is it why certain materials are used when others are not? What about the behind-the-scenes secrets you're dying to know?

List your questions here!

This is a really good topic. We try to get as many answered as possible for THPers at our events and content shoots too.
So many good ones. Looking forward to hearing what THPers have to say.

Why is it so expensive to get it right? Is it ALL about the profits? Do manufactures fully expect people to drop coin after coin buying off the rack trying to purchase a fit or fix and they are feeding off of this? Is R&D so costly that the prices of shafts, heads, irons, putters that the spend has to be offset to the consumer?

Why can my X2 hot driver head still perform just as well if not better than current iterations.

I'm not sure if this qualifies but I think I'm most curious about where OEM's will go with a subscription-based model for clubs and club fittings. I know Taylormade has dabbled but didn't make it enticing enough for many people to jump aboard.
I think that it could become the new normal for many "early adopters" if done right.

I'm not sure if this qualifies but I think I'm most curious about where OEM's will go with a subscription-based model for clubs and club fittings. I know Taylormade has dabbled but didn't make it enticing enough for many people to jump aboard.
I think that it could become the new normal for many "early adopters" if done right.

I actually agree with this. Subscription-based models are quickly becoming the go-to in many industries. Golf equipment seems to be a little behind, but not without multiple attempts by many companies. I suspect a brand will figure it out sooner or later.

With every company being so obsessed on distance, I wonder if any of these companies spend any time making non-conforming clubs - just to see how far they can push the limits of the materials they are using? And what happens to those clubs? Obviously they don't go to production, but do they ever see a time where their might be a market for that?

This is a really good topic. We try to get as many answered as possible for THPers at our events and content shoots too.
So many good ones. Looking forward to hearing what THPers have to say.

+1
BB.jpg

Why can my X2 hot driver head still perform just as well if not better than current iterations.

This is a popular topic of conversation among my friends. What I'd love to do is incorporate more statistical significance testing (hypothesis testing) in long-term comparisons between new products and those of the last few years. The challenge is always sample size, but it's a minimal setback.

In shorter versions of the test I describe above, I've only EVER seen two instances of statistical significance (p=0.05 for my fellow nerds out there) comparing a new release to my previous gamer:

The TaylorMade M3 driver
The Srixon Z 785 driver

Why can't the OEM's come together to make a dang standard (length, lie, swing weight, grip weight, etc.) for fitting purposes? I get that loft has to be different based on CG location in the club head design, but the others could be standardized so that you have the same necessary adjustments (if any) across all brands (e.g., 1* upright, -1/2", etc.).

Why can't they come together on subject matter. For example, "Roger F'n Cleveland" says wedge grooves don't matter (* for spin on a clean lie) in a video - so we are to take it as the God given truth. Then Titleist comes out with a test on a clean lie on a monitor and says grooves absolutely do affect spin on a clean line as they wear over time. Some take it as truth, while others say Titleist just wants to sell more wedges. That's just one of many where companies push different ideas:

* Best groove shape/size for loft
* Driver face - smooth was fine, but now we need milled?
* The amount of bulge and roll (e.g., Twist Face)
* Soft or firm is better for golf balls
* Fit the ball from tee to green, or green to tee

What was some of the technology that you tried and liked, but decided not to use and why?

What technology from competitors did you think was interesting or innovative?

Why the 14-club limit? It seems such an arbitrary number, and you'd think the club manufacturers would lobby heavily to have it increased. I would love to see it moved to 15 or 16, as that would help tremendously with filling gaps and/or having multiple drivers for various holes.

Would love to hear about spectacular failures. When did they push the envelope so far that, while it may have been a cool idea, it bombed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back