Putting Sweet Spot - Your Game

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Sitting down with some putter people with mikedean441 over the last few weeks and had some really interesting conversations regarding putters, sweet spots and distances. My question to THPers is an interesting one.

How often do you think you find the dead on sweet spot with your putter during the round? 50% of the time? 10% of the time? What do you think the percentage is?

Oh man that is a good question. I would guess im on the low end and probably a reason why im so inconsistent with an insert putter

Sitting down with some putter people with mikedean441 over the last few weeks and had some really interesting conversations regarding putters, sweet spots and distances. My question to THPers is an interesting one.

How often do you think you find the dead on sweet spot with your putter during the round? 50% of the time? 10% of the time? What do you think the percentage is?
I think that needs to start with does everyone know where their sweet spot is on their putter.

That said I find it probably 15% of the time I would say that is dead perfect I am sure I find around it a much higher percentage though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would say I'm pretty consistent on the sweet spot. Probably like 50% but my flaw is in the stroke.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Admin
Oh man that is a good question. I would guess im on the low end and probably a reason why im so inconsistent with an insert putter

Dont let the insert thing fool you. Manipulation can be done with an insert the same as metal to help in these cases. Some would argue even more so.

I would say I don't find it very often. I have a suspicion that when I blow the ball by the hole that I actually hit the sweet spot on that putt.

Dont let the insert thing fool you. Manipulation can be done with an insert the same as metal to help in these cases. Some would argue even more so.
Well there goes my excuse haha

I feel pretty confident in saying I find the true "assumed" sweet spot less than half the time - wouldn't be able to put a more accurate number on it myself.

I'm not sure how often I find the dead on sweet spot. But I think with my current putter, there is enough forgiveness that missing the sweet spot is very rarely why I miss a putt.

Only time I really notice a poorly hit putt is when I really screw it up, such as hitting the ground or damn near topping the putt. Usually only happens on very long putts or when putting from off the green.

Man I would probably have to say under 50% and one of the reason I've been working on the stroke. I would assume the sweet spot is dead center on both axis' right?

Haha I'd say 10-15% for me

Not all that often. 25% of the time maybe.

I honestly have no idea

The EXACT sweet spot I would say 15% of the time. Hitting almost the sweet spot (ball contact sounds nice and flush) I would say 50%.

Tough one to say. I like to think I hit it more often than I hit the sweet spot on the driver. But I'm going to guess 30 to 40 percent of time at best.

based on feel and sound, not very often

Not really sure but if it's over 30-40% I would be surprised!

I guess to me there are some questions I would need to know first...how big is the typical sweet spot on a putter? And where is it typically located? Does it change from putter to putter? I'd actually say I find it fairly often, and the reason I miss most putts has to do with reading the right line. I'm a very good lag putter, which I think in order to do that you have to find the same spot often. When ever I can see a mark or I'd get some sort of grass stuck in my Fusion RX insert, it's more often than not in the same spot in the center.

I guess to me there are some questions I would need to know first...how big is the typical sweet spot on a putter? And where is it typically located? Does it change from putter to putter? I'd actually say I find it fairly often, and the reason I miss most putts has to do with reading the right line. I'm a very good lag putter, which I think in order to do that you have to find the same spot often. When ever I can see a mark or I'd get some sort of grass stuck in my Fusion RX insert, it's more often than not in the same spot in the center.

Percentage?

Percentage?

I'll go 75%. Would I be shocked if it's much lower? A little. It's one of those things I don't think a ton about or really know where the true sweet spot is or how big it is. But I'm very confident in my putting, and finding the center is never a concern for me.

I'll lowball and say like 10%, I don't think I'm a bad putter, but dead on center, I'm probably not hitting it as often as I should and maybe that's why the VLine has been so good to me with its stability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On course: no idea. 25%?
I do use foot spray from time to time while practicing outside on a green.
In practice. I would guess dead on 40% of the time... Left to right.. 60% up & down.
This is the main reason for my using a Cure or any high MOI putter. It really reduces the penalty of a poor stroke, makes a decent pass good and and spot on putt spot on.
Would be interesting to know what the SS contact is like for different levels of golfers. I am sure someone like Pelz has some stats somewhere.

I have some of the same questions cbaker has...size of the sweet spot? how much does the sweet spot vary from putter to putter? I would have to assume that higher MOI putters have a larger sweet spot thus allowing for a higher "hitting it in the sweet spot" percentage.
Personally, I use a White Ice #9 as my gamer and my putting is below average. That being said, I would say that I hit the sweet spot 50% of the time but my poor results come from factors other than missing the sweet spot.

perhaps some should go out with some impact tape, or spray the front of your putter with foot spray. Take 25-30 putts, and report back.

Back