So face shaving, whats that all about and who does it

We know there's tolerances in the equipment industry and that the COR limit is .830. What I've always wondered is does each driver sold hit that .830 mark or are some .820, .825, .832, etc.

If you knew your driver fell short of .830 and it was economically feasible (I have no idea what that costs) would you have your driver brought to the legal limit via face shaving? Or if you found it was over the legal limit would the manufacturer be obligated to replace it?

I few years ago I hit a nonconforming driver head from Wishon golf that supposedly had a "hotter" face ... oddly I did not hit any farther than my driver now ... using a nonconforming club would just eat at me, even for a fun round.

I am not a big hitter to start with, so I am find being the first guy to hit after we all tee off ...

HAHAHA yes I have a full on beard and will NEVER SHAVE MY FACE...but if your not keeping score, just playing to play, is that a bad thing? I see guys bad mouth people for having fun on the course and just swinging for the fences. If one can play for a handicap to be used for.....what? What do you use a handicap for? I am going to get one shaved and one non shaved, make a comparison with numbers distance and accuracy on the course to see if its working. I also heard that pros used to do this years ago on tour before COR was setup. this true?

No idea on what pros used to do, but I like playing in a few tournaments to get some competition in my life. This reason plus the reason that I would think shaving the face would void any warranty plus cost more money to have it customized. I am not worried about resale on the club, but if I happened to crack a shaved face I would hate that I would be screwed and be buying a new club.

Besides that, if I was playing in a money game (I never play for much) and I think it would be unfair no matter who is using it.

I don't have any problem with others doing it and won't criticize but not my thing.

I get it. probably the same reason why a racecar driver wants to go faster than he's ever gone before.

For some, the goal of golf is score. For others, it's distance. Clearly, VinceRKG is a bomber and the fun of golf is about hammering drives, and that's awesome.

Exactly this...

Not my cup of tea, but I understand the perspective.

I would like to hear about the differences you see if you can get the same head side by side, one altered the other stock. I've seen what it can do for a softball bat and would jump at the chance to hit a club that has had this done. Don't think I could do it myself for fear of the head not lasting very long but it would be cool as heck to see it in action.

I can't wait to see your results. I've heard people say it works but have never seen any hard numbers. Any way you can get before and after numbers on a LM?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This used to be fairly popular but if you have a high swing speed they can crack if they are shaved too much.....

https://www.worldshottestdrivers.com/

This exactly, the higher your swing speed the less you can shave without having to worry about cracking the face. Now me being a slow SS player I can shave a whole bunch off. If the OP hits his 7i 225 then he won't be able to shave much off. I'm not sure how much would be gained at his SS because of this.

I'm not a long hitter and would never consider doing this because I play in tourney's and keep a handicap.

However, I have considered ordering an illegal driver head for my mom. She plays just for fun and a great drive for her is about 150 yards. These are the type of people that I think should use the technology. I would guess her swing speed is 60-70 mph max.

I can see the appeal if I had some older drivers laying around that had little or no resale value already.
It would be kind of fun to use when I play with my brother in law who is about a foot taller than I am.

It certainly wouldn't replace my normal gamer though.

I keep a handicap and play in THP Events, so wouldnt want to use a driver that does not let me post scores.

Plus face shaving makes the face super thin and if you have any SS at all, you will smash the face. Total waste of money.

I recently got into looking around at getting my driver and face shaved down from World Hottest Drivers, I do get some softball sticks shaved and rolled for HR derby and bigger events, all bats in uppers are done some how do no judging lol I have talked with the owner Steve a lot past couple weeks about what it does and how durable it is. Anyone have luck with this?

It's cheating. One of our starters at the course did it to his driver, and he really didn't need to. He's 76 and still hits it 250 without an illegal club. Not sure why he decided it was necessary.

If I don't do it weekly, I look like a caveman......

i see zero issue with it, as he's stated that he's not going to try and use it in competition or anything like that. Ive got a x-hot pro down in the basement that i might send off to screw with my ridiculously long hitting buddies (2 of them carry the ball 315+ at times) They have different levels according to the website based on your swing speed. I'm about a 105-107mph swing speed, and they recumbent .870COR for that swing speed, it would be very interesting to see just how far it went, as i know my best drive with that driver was 280 carry.

I would say you could accomplish the same exact thing by just moving up a tee box.
Assuming the goal is to hit it further, IE closer to the hole.

Yes, and a LOT less risky with your equipment I would say.

JM

I'd be interested to try one just to mess around with to see what it could do at the range. Probably never spend the money to get it done, but would be interested to see. lol

Well like many have said, play the game as you would like to play it.

I can't and I won't, because I play in tournaments and bet with my buddies. I also let my stubble grow until it looks unruly, then it's easier to shave it off than trim.

I've never heard of shaving a golf club or bat before.

Totally thought this was going to be another shaving ones face thread when I opened it. I'm 0-2 today in opening new threads and expecting to see something different.

You're officially out of challenges. :D

I will be posting up numbers as I have two heads in each one I want to get done. So will be fun to see if it really workds and holds up. I know softball bats do hold up depending on what COR ball you use and how oftern you hit it. I have had some crack in a year, while others in months. just depends. I still keep competition alive by playing my buddies for rounds or whatever we want.

Yes in softball they shave bats to come off faster and hotter, or they get them rolled to break them in faster rather than hitting hundreds of balls to get it broken in. They try to get the bats right at the limit of being illegal, so after a couple tournies they wont be able to use them. But might save them for bigger events or championship games and what not. So just thought it would be same for golf. I can swing easy keeping my longest shots now, and swing faster to go even further. Again just fun.

I am really looking forward to the comparison!

Yes in softball they shave bats to come off faster and hotter, or they get them rolled to break them in faster rather than hitting hundreds of balls to get it broken in. They try to get the bats right at the limit of being illegal, so after a couple tournies they wont be able to use them. But might save them for bigger events or championship games and what not. So just thought it would be same for golf. I can swing easy keeping my longest shots now, and swing faster to go even further. Again just fun.
Using those shaved bats for important or championship games is just wrong.

I understand just messing around with your driver for the fun of it or even using a shaved bat for a hr Derby if it's allowed.

But using those bats in a game that matters is just wrong. Even if the league has an open bat policy, they are assuming all bats are stock

You don't want to be that guy that accidentally shoots the box and nails the pitcher with your illegal bat.

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

I've cracked an alum bat in my little league days; the last thing I'd want to do is shave down an already thin club-face

Back