Camp out for golf?

I'm a creature of comfort. Hotel, tee times around 10:00 so I can enjoy a leisurely breakfast and morning constitutional. If that precludes me from a course, that's OK. I understand the once-in-a-lifetime memory making and all, but those memories would come with sleep-deprivation & screaming back pain. I ain't a youngster anymore, lol.

For a while I had a Ford Transit Connect van that was fitted with a full sized bed in the back. I used it to travel the east coast making my work, I am a photographer. I had a dream trip where I would hit a number of Donald Ross tracks and sleep in the course parking lot... unfortunately, the trip never came around as I foolishly traded in the van for my new truck. We were pregnant and the thought of a car with no backseat was not smart. Unfortunately we lost the baby and have yet to get pregnant since, puts a lot of things into perspective.

I think half the fun would be meeting everyone else in line camping out. Reminds me of the days camping out for an Xbox 360 lol

I have slept in my car plenty times years ago. not for anything special but just to play my county courses as early as possible. I know plenty other who did it and people still do it. basically when my kids were small and life had too many more obs if i couldnt be out there and be home early enough i just couldnt play. Id drive to the lot , put my name on the list with the others waiting and it was the the only way to be among the first walk ons of the day. been a lot of years and dont do it anymore lol. But i could and would do it if i felt was the only way to do something i really wanted to do.

It's silly, I live 15 minutes away from Bethpage and anyone can walk up and play the Black course at almost any time, it's frequently empty because it's so hard, people that camp out are out-of-towners that think it's cool to sleep in the parking lot for some reason, I guess they want those dawn tee times, which are probably the only times on the Black that are really busy, because of them.

That's hilarious. I've always heard about people camping out to play there and how it was the only way to get one.

Yes. I will probably try and do Bethpage someday.

Nah....

Sort of locally.... I would only camp out to play Pebble Beach

I will be doing it in two weeks or so at the Old Course so yes, I totally would/will.

I will however try the ballot and see if I can avoid it somehow, but if I am unsuccessful at the ballot, you can bet I'll be there waiting bright and early

Yes. I will probably try and do Bethpage someday.

I'd join you for that!

Should definitely make it a thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny, I was setting up a bucket list trip for this summer and my Brother in Law suggested that we go to Bethpage because he doesn't want to travel that far. It's only about an hour and a half from us. I told him it would be a great idea but it's a really tough course. I also told him from what I've heard, you have to get there really early and sometimes have to stay all night to get a tee time on Saturday morning. That's the last time he mentioned it. I think I'd be willing to do it once but like other posters, I think I'd have a hard time getting my usual partners to do the same.

I camp out overnight for Kentucky Basketball's midnight madness, so I would probably do it for a place like Bethpage and some others.

Its more about the overall experience than just waiting for a tee time.

Its more about the overall experience than just waiting for a tee time.

exactly, when I think about waiting in line at the old course, spending the night chatting with golfers from all over the world makes it as interesting as playing the course itself

Nope. If they don't have time for me, then I don't have time for them.

~Rock

It's funny, I was setting up a bucket list trip for this summer and my Brother in Law suggested that we go to Bethpage because he doesn't want to travel that far. It's only about an hour and a half from us. I told him it would be a great idea but it's a really tough course. I also told him from what I've heard, you have to get there really early and sometimes have to stay all night to get a tee time on Saturday morning. That's the last time he mentioned it. I think I'd be willing to do it once but like other posters, I think I'd have a hard time getting my usual partners to do the same.

Like I said, weekends are the full on overnight stay scenario. If you can do it on a weekday, chances are much better to call a couple of days ahead. But just walking up early can get you on the Red or Green (I prefer the Green- kind of like a poor mans Black) if Black is full.

Back