Camp out for golf?

slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
Listening to Michael Breed this morning and he was talking about Bethpage Black and there are people that will camp out over night for the CHANCE to play the course. No guarantee. But it made me wonder if there was a course that members here would be willing to stay overnight at for the CHANCE to play.

Are there any public courses you all are willing to hang out at overnight to possibly play the next day? What about a private course?

I personally would not hang out at a golf course for the chance to play it. If I was guaranteed a tee time, but was required to stay on the premises, I would be willing to camp out.

If I set aside the $ and time, I would be willing to camp out for the opportunity to play a course like that.
The difficult part might be finding three others to join the adventure. Would be hard for me to go solo.

I don't know, I don't think I would. I love golf, but there are plenty of really nice courses a guy can play if willing.

I was listening as well. Besides camping out, the hourly check in if you are in your car, etc seems a bit much.

I am not a fan of working hard for the opportunity to give my money to someone.

I do not see myself doing something like this any time soon, or ever, really.

Does The Hideaway count?

I would camp outside the gates there until the day I die for a chance to play those courses! :beauty:

I've camped out for tickets to Wimbledon, but that wasn't to play, only watch.

If it was the right course, possibly, but likely only if that was the only way to play it (i.e. private, etc).

I would do it for a bucket list course if that was the only way on.

Augusta National, in a heartbeat. You could add all the expected... Old Course, Pebble, Bethpage, and many, many other tour stops that I'm not willing to type out on my phone. I don't mind camping at all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I got in line to play the Old Course when it was just over freezing and it was 4am. While it was cold and I didn't end up playing, I had such a blast standing in line and chatting it up with golfers from all over the world. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

.....man I dunno if I would do this or not. Im kind of like some of you...im not a fan of having to do that to take my money to get my ass kicked on this course. But on the other hand it would be an opportunity to say I got to play it.

Ah hell what am I thinkin. I would probably do it.

Yup, I would do it. Life is all about creating memories and sharing stories. This would be a great opportunity to do both.

If i had the time and it was a course to check off the bucket list, I would absolutely camp out.

I got in line to play the Old Course when it was just over freezing and it was 4am. While it was cold and I didn't end up playing, I had such a blast standing in line and chatting it up with golfers from all over the world. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I’d do that for sure, any other course probably not.

I’d do that for sure, any other course probably not.

yeah I wouldn't do it for just any old place. I would do it for Bethpage(though I don't have to being a NYS Resident). Just have to make some fun out of it ya know?

It's silly, I live 15 minutes away from Bethpage and anyone can walk up and play the Black course at almost any time, it's frequently empty because it's so hard, people that camp out are out-of-towners that think it's cool to sleep in the parking lot for some reason, I guess they want those dawn tee times, which are probably the only times on the Black that are really busy, because of them.

I wouldn't dare camp outside of a private club. I'd much rather make my connections to play the old fashioned way and not risk being frowned upon by the membership.

Public courses: Maybe BPB, as it seems to be the only way to play there. if you're not a resident. Can you buy your way in? I'd rather do that.

Other than that, I can't think of a public track that you can't simply pay to play, even if it is expensive.

There are probably a few courses, but I would have to have the perfect scenario to want to risk getting there early with no guarantee of a tee time. Easiest for me would be Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, MD, not a "must play" for a lot of folks, but being there twice for a PGA event, I would be cool to play the same holes. If I waited all night and couldn't get a time, I'd just drive 45 mins home and go to work! If I was guaranteed a time once I showed up but still had to stay there all night, I might have a big list of courses that given the right situation (vacation already planned, or week away from family on my own), I would consider it. Bethpage would be on that list!

It's silly, I live 15 minutes away from Bethpage and anyone can walk up and play the Black course at almost any time, it's frequently empty because it's so hard, people that camp out are out-of-towners that think it's cool to sleep in the parking lot for some reason, I guess they want those dawn tee times, which are probably the only times on the Black that are really busy, because of them.

Is this true? Why does every published article I've read suggest that unless you're a resident you have no choice but to queue?

Is this true? Why does every published article I've read suggest that unless you're a resident you have no choice but to queue?

According to this article from Ashley Mayo you are able to book tee times 48 hours in advance if there are any available. Some small hurdles to go over but if you have flexibility on a tee time you can play there without sleeping in your car.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/heres-how-you-can-play-bethpage-black-and-no-its-not-difficult

I wouldn't dare camp outside of a private club. I'd much rather make my connections to play the old fashioned way and not risk being frowned upon by the membership.

Public courses: Maybe BPB, as it seems to be the only way to play there. if you're not a resident. Can you buy your way in? I'd rather do that.

Other than that, I can't think of a public track that you can't simply pay to play, even if it is expensive.

I would for a THP Event : )

I love to play golf but not enough to camp for it. While it would be nice to put something like that on the golf resume' it's not quite on my bucket list.

As a NYS resident, I can call up as a single a couple of days ahead, or even that morning and get on the Black. Not at the earliest times, but mid to late morning with little issues. Especially during the week. weekends are tougher, but I wouldn't suffer myself through a 6 hour round anyway if I didn't have too.

Even non residents can get into the online reservation system to make times. Now, if you have a group of guys, I believe they ALL have to be registered into the online system, but I could be wrong. They had that rule several years ago before they went online. you had to have your Drivers ID on file at that time.

But I think the "Tradition" of 'camping' out in the parking lot is something the course uses for the publicity. It's closed as of yesterday for the PGA, but at the end of May it will reopen and it will be walk-ups only for a week. Believe me, that will be a zoo since every "Pro from Dover" will want to see "how they match up with the Pro's". I hope they will bring back the fairly aggressive Ranger program that they put in place when the first Open came into town. If they felt you didn't belong, they asked you to leave the course and gave your money back or credit at the other courses.

Back