Cobra KING Utility Iron Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Cobra Golf, a leader in golf club innovation and technology, today introduced the KING Utility Iron, the brand’s first adjustable hollow body utility iron that offers multiple loft settings in a single club. The KING Utility is available in a 3-iron, featuring a large sole with a hollow head, and is packed with COBRA Golf’s game-changing metalwood technologies including MyFly8 that allows golfers to seamlessly adjust the loft to best fit their games.

The KING Utility Iron provides the feel and performance of an iron, combined with the forgiveness and slightly higher flight of a hybrid. The club’s 17-4 hollow body design and a new 455ss L-Cup Face, combined with its 67 gram tungsten weight strategically positioned low and back in the head, deliver optimal Center of Gravity (CG) and high MOI. The new L-Cup face design produces increased speed and higher launch, the key performance benefits golfers look for in a utility iron.

The true game-changer in the KING Utility 3-iron is the use of MyFly8 Technology in an iron. A first for COBRA and a first for golf, this proprietary technology affords golfers an ability to fine-tune their designed launch conditions from a 3 iron at 21[SUP]o [/SUP]down to a 2 iron at 18[SUP]o[/SUP].

“This club is perfect for the golfer whose last iron stops at 4 and needs a 3i, or the golfer whose longest iron stops at 3i and needs 2i distance somewhere throughout the round. The KING Utility iron allows a player to perfectly gap his long iron game and offers three draw settings to fine tune trajectory,” said Tom Olsavsky, Vice President of R&D, COBRA Golf. “We designed this Utility iron with Rickie Fowler in mind – he currently uses this iron at courses he deems a match for this style of play.”

The KING Utility iron (MAP: $199 steel; $219 graphite), available in RH only, will be available May 1, 2016. It comes equipped with a Steel KBS C-Taper Lite shaft in X-stiff or Stiff flexes ($199); or a Graphite Aldila Rogue Black 85g in X-stiff, Stiff or Regular flexes ($219). Loft range: 18[SUP]o[/SUP], 18.5[SUP]o,[/SUP] 18.5[SUP] o[/SUP] draw, 19.5[SUP]o[/SUP], 19.5[SUP]o [/SUP]draw[SUP],[/SUP] 21.5[SUP] o[/SUP], 21.5[SUP] o[/SUP] draw and 22[SUP] o[/SUP].

CevIwMHW4AAKDFE.jpg:large

Wow. Was wondering when we would see our first ever adjustable iron. Cobra gets it done first. Amazing. Not sure this would suit my game, but I love the innovation.

Was wondering if they were going to come out with a utility. As always cobra sounds interesting in the tech department.

Hmmm, very intriguing! I like the idea but I just don't know if I'd get much benefit out of it, can't wait to hear more and definitely hope to try one sometime!

I have not hit a club of this type, it looks great. Would you say it is as easy to hit as a 3 hybrid, or do you need more skill than that??

I have not hit a club of this type, it looks great. Would you say it is as easy to hit as a 3 hybrid, or do you need more skill than that??

This is very similar to what I have in the bag. Is it easier? I wouldn't say so, but it's really up to the individual. For me it's a beast off the tee, and excellent for long par 5's when I'm looking to play to a number. Accuracy and confidence with it through the roof.

I really would love to be able to hit clubs like these

Aldila Rogue Black is a shaft I've never tried, but I'm very confident in T.O's ability to make it a successful build. I will be trying this out!

this is something I would have expected them to introduce in July, just in time for The Open.

Well now. Adjustable utility iron. I will be trying this as a possible 4i/4h replacement

Wow finally and adjustable iron and its a 2/3! Price is not bad, might have to check this one out. Curious to see how it adjusts. Is the shaft just screwed in like a driver and the hosel is adjustable?

Damn I like what I am hearing. Gives players options of opening up another spot in the bag. Cobra is bringing it this year. First the drivers, then the F6 irons and now the Utility Iron! Love it!!!

Let the Cobra homer re-emerge!!!

Pretty cool concept there, I dont have a need for a 2/3i, but imagine some golfers are going to love this.

This is something that I am really intrigued by. I am not a very good hybrid/fairway wood player but these utility irons are something that I can play. Price is decent too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah. Just give me the hybrid. My game is better using a hybrid than driving irons, or "utility" irons.

Oh yeah...going to give this one a look see.

Really interesting to see an adjustable utility Iron. Just don't see a place in my bag, games not good enough for one. But really cool to see none the less.

looks great and makes sense. kudos to cobra for pioneering adjustable loft in an iron presentation. don't think it would work well for me, though.

Looks interesting!

I love the idea around adjustable utilities, and hope this opens the door for adjustable irons in the future.

Since I'm not much for C-taper, I'd be all about ripping this one with some rogue in it.

I love the idea around adjustable utilities, and hope this opens the door for adjustable irons in the future.

Since I'm not much for C-taper, I'd be all about ripping this one with some rogue in it.

The CTaper Lite is a curious decision IMO.....but I'm with you, adjustability in a iron would be kind of awesome.

We will have it in hand later this week or early next week.

I have a soft spot for Utility irons. I will have to put this on my "need to demo" list.

I've not hit a utility iron, I'm really happy with having the FlyZ hybrid in this slot. I hope to try one, but I can't see ever buying one.

This looks SICK! I think this might top off my bag...

Back