Does Tiger Beat Snead?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking at the record books, Tiger only needs three victories to tie Snead's all time record of 82 PGA Tour Victories (What an incredible stat!!!!). I know we've seen Tiger swing vids and all the rest, but can he come back and be genuinely healthy enough to beat these fields 3-4 more times in his career?

If yes, how many more does he have in him?

As much as I would love to see Tiger come back and be in the mix week in and week out, I just don't think he has it left in the tank.

Yes, I think he does. As long as he is fully healed. I think he has tried to come back too early after injury and that's why he gets his set backs. If he stays away until fully healed, then yes he can win 3-4 more times before he hits the Champions tour.

tough question. I don't know that he can do it. I think he needs to back off on his swing and become more of a precision player, and I don't know that he can do that. If he doesn't i think he hurts himself again.

No. Biggest reason is I don't see Tiger playing in the smaller events that would give him the best chance. I only see him playing the bigger events, and there are too many world class golfers out there right now, and I can't event remotely put him in that category with his current state. Maybe gets 1 more win if he gets healthy, but I don't see him winning 3-4 more.

Yes he will get 4 more wins to pass Snead. Look at guys like Stricker, Mickelson and others, golfers can have success in their mid 40's. TW will as well. I'm sure he's not done yet.

Yes I think he does. While I don't think he will ever gain his former glory, if he can get healed up I see no reason he can't get some confidence rolling in his short game and win a few tournaments. While it seems like distant history, he won 8 times in 2 years just a few years ago, and that was post layoff.

Only way I see him getting those wins is if he is completely healthy and ready to play again. There are too many young guns out there playing well. I think Tiger has the tools still, but its not going to be as easy as it was in the past for him.

Nope ... pretty sure he's done physically. Plus there are a lot of good golfers out there. Very hard to win on a consistent basis

i say yes, but i don't think he will win any more majors. so snead's record gets broken, but jack's stays in tact and never gets broken.

It will depend on how he approaches his return. Does he play in an opposite field event. Does he go to lesser events that he hasn't played yet and have a field without a lot of top 20 golfers?

as much as I woukd like to see him get those 3 or even 4 to break it, I don't think tiger has what it takes to get the job done.

Nope..

I'm not sure he ever plays competitively again but if he does then I think he will win 8-10 more events!

I am not sure he can.. If the back is fully healed and he is healthy, where is his game at this point? I think he will have to increase his schedule and that might work against his health. If he chooses to play a limited schedule with most of those being big events that draw most of the best in the field, I think his chances will decrease.

I don't think Tiger wins another PGA tournament. But that is ok for me.

If Tiger is able to stay healthy for a long period of time (say 4-5 more years of full-time (for him) playing schedule), then I see him breaking the record without question. He's not going to get back to his early 2000's level of play, but he doesn't need that to win on tour.

Right now though, that's a huge 'if' for him based on the past couple of years.

Yes he will get 4 more wins to pass Snead. Look at guys like Stricker, Mickelson and others, golfers can have success in their mid 40's. TW will as well. I'm sure he's not done yet.
That was my thought as well, even if it's here or there, I think he'll get enough to pass him.

I don't think Tiger can get it done.

A lot of nagging injuries to overcome though. One after another after another after another. He may have the talent to do it but I am not sure he has the health to execute it.

Is it so much age as it is health?

I think he's doing the right thing in sitting out for an extended period of time now to give himself the best chance of being healthy moving forward. Personally I'd see him sit out this entire season, let the focus shift off him even more and come back next season fully healthy and fully committed to practicing and playing at the highest level. I think he's got that competitive drive still and that will propel him to another 5-6 wins at least.

Yes, if he comes back healthy he will break Snead's record. The last time tiger was healthy and his swing wasn't that great was 13 and he won 5 tournaments. He'll win bay hill and win at firestone. If he plays 10 more years i'd avg roughly 10 total wins

I think physical health, even though it's a big issue, is not the main reason why he will have trouble winning on tour again. It's his mental game. I think his head is so screwed right now that he won't have the mental ability to close if he was ever in position to do it

I don't think he does, honestly. I'd be willing to alter my answer if he can play almost a full season, with decent scoring and avoiding injuries, but I can't see that happening, right now.

Back