"You lifted your head, bro."

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
We've all met this guy. The guy who thinks, no matter what miss you or he hit, the bad shot is caused solely by head movement.

Over the years, with a lot of help from THP, I have learned to understand my misses. I know the results of too much over the top, and what happens what I get behind or in front of the ball in my swing. I've also learned how to make the most of those misses when they seem to be happening frequently. Never once have I blamed my head.

Recently I began playing with a new guy. We've become friends, and he's a lot of fun to be around, but whenever anyone in our group (whether he knows them or not) hits a poor shot he always repeats "You lifted your head, bro." He blames his own head for his two way miss as well. As if keeping your head perfectly still, and nothing else is going to save you from shanking the ball into the woods again.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I like this guy, and I am going to keep playing with him, but I tend to find this a bit annoying. ONLY because I want to have a discussion about what's really causing the miss, and not because I want to be a smart ass.

How does one broach the subject in order to prevent sounding like a know it all (which I am most definitely not when it comes to this silly game)

Active response (maybe a bit aggressive): Say something like "I'll worry about my game, you worry about yours" the next time that happens.

Passive response: pull up photos on your phone of David Duval and Annika Sorenstam at impact. His mind will be blown.

Correct him every time he says you lifted your head with what you actually did wrong.

Whenever someone says that to me I reply with "Nonsense! I lifted my whole damn upper body."

He has never seen cookie hit a shot!

When he says "you lifted your head bro" just say "nah, that wasn't it".

I can appreciate someone for trying to help, but if it generally bothers you, and you like playing with the guy, I'd flat out tell him I am not interesting in his swing auditing.

If he wants to enjoy your company on the golf course, he'll concede.

Ah, the old tips McGee.

I recently had a senior lady tell me my ball position was wrong after I topped a few hybrids. I told her that’s the ball position I’ve been training with the last 2 seasons at Golftec and the topping is from me getting too flat in my takeaway. Something I’ve been working on. She never mentioned it again.

I guess the next time you get this guy giving you the old head move, I’d politely correct him with the true swing fault. “I’m swaying in my back swing, not getting my weight forward, casting”. Whatever it is. Once he realizes you actually know what you’re talking about he’ll leave you alone.

My rules of thumb is if playing partner is much better golfer I tend pretend listening and I will give him/her benefit of doubt.
Now if he is either same or worst level of golfer I would tell him after the round.
“Hey look at that I kicked your butt without even looking at the ball” imagine what would happen if I decide to look at the ball.

I tried take my comments after the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say this about myself and my coach and buddy correct me. The thing is it is the feeling I have when I hit a bad iron shot (fat with open clubface). I feel as if I lift my head and typically thinking about staying down longer works for me.

"Stay in your lane bro"

I would say I am doing a study of common swing faults and documenting the outcomes. Add, that it will take a lifetime to complete the first draft.

Whenever someone says that to me I reply with "Nonsense! I lifted my whole damn upper body."

So true... not like our head moves our arms.. damn torso does though.

Ah, the old tips McGee.

I recently had a senior lady tell me my ball position was wrong after I topped a few hybrids. I told her that’s the ball position I’ve been training with the last 2 seasons at Golftec and the topping is from me getting too flat in my takeaway. Something I’ve been working on. She never mentioned it again.

I guess the next time you get this guy giving you the old head move, I’d politely correct him with the true swing fault. “I’m swaying in my back swing, not getting my weight forward, casting”. Whatever it is. Once he realizes you actually know what you’re talking about he’ll leave you alone.

Tips McGee, that’s good. Hahahaha

tell him thats a two stroke penalty 10.2a:act-up:

We've all met this guy. The guy who thinks, no matter what miss you or he hit, the bad shot is caused solely by head movement.

Over the years, with a lot of help from THP, I have learned to understand my misses. I know the results of too much over the top, and what happens what I get behind or in front of the ball in my swing. I've also learned how to make the most of those misses when they seem to be happening frequently. Never once have I blamed my head.

Recently I began playing with a new guy. We've become friends, and he's a lot of fun to be around, but whenever anyone in our group (whether he knows them or not) hits a poor shot he always repeats "You lifted your head, bro." He blames his own head for his two way miss as well. As if keeping your head perfectly still, and nothing else is going to save you from shanking the ball into the woods again.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I like this guy, and I am going to keep playing with him, but I tend to find this a bit annoying. ONLY because I want to have a discussion about what's really causing the miss, and not because I want to be a smart ass.

How does one broach the subject in order to prevent sounding like a know it all (which I am most definitely not when it comes to this silly game)

I'm about to lift your head with an uppercut to the chin.....that's what I'm think when someone says this to me LOL!!!

Tell him everybody including myself finds it annoying when you comment on their swing, please stop doing it immediately.

I'm more offended by him saying "bro" than offering a swing tip. I often just respond "nah, I don't think that was the problem there" and eventually they stop when I don't engage.

Correct him every time he says you lifted your head with what you actually did wrong.

I agree with this. I'd probably say - "No, I'm pretty sure I did this....."

Maybe he eventually gets the point.

I had a guy at our range say this to me one time........he hasn't spoken to me since.

Just a simple "I know what I did, no reminders needed, thanks but I'll sort it out"

Hopefully he gets the point and if not then a "it bugs me when you say this, let's just enjoy the round"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I had a guy at our range say this to me one time........he hasn't spoken to me since.

haha if someone I didn't really know came up to me at the range and started assessing my swing I'd give him the dumbest dumbfounded stare ever and see how awkward it could get.

haha if someone I didn't really know came up to me at the range and started assessing my swing I'd give him the dumbest dumbfounded stare ever and see how awkward it could get.

That's kind of how it was. I had my phone recording my swing by my bag, and I was looking at it between balls naturally. Then all the sudden I have my face buried in my phone and I hear "I think your lifting your head...." and I look up like......bruh

That's kind of how it was. I had my phone recording my swing by my bag, and I was looking at it between balls naturally. Then all the sudden I have my face buried in my phone and I hear "I think your lifting your head...." and I look up like......bruh

The only comments appropriate to strangers at the range are things like "Beautiful swing", "Dang you crushed that", "Nice day, ain't it?", etc.

Back