Would You Rather?

Would You Rather?

• Fun & Super Slow

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • Non Talker & Fast

Votes: 147 84.5%

• Total voters
While I voted fun and super slow, I must admit it would have been easier if the choice were fun but slow, the super description made the choice a bit more difficult. I certainly understand the issue of slow play and what appears to be the majority opinion against it. Fortunately, slow play does not bother me, it doesn't upset me if I'm on the course an extra hour, for example, because the social aspect of the game is what draws me to the game. What does bother me about slow play is the impact it has on others, its just does not show consideration for others and that I don't like. But if I am behind a slow group, I am not going to make an issue of it, I'll just relax, enjoy the day and the company. But then, being the hillbilly I am, I tend to take life slowly on and off the course.

Will always take fast over slow. Him being a nice guy is just an extra bonus.

I want to play fast and conversation isn't an important factor when paired with a stranger

I don't mind a slow player if were having a good time. I'll take the fun slow guy. If he's a cigar and Whisky guy even better

On a scale of 1 being dead and 10 running from shot to shot I'm about an 8. My game is best served when I'm in a rhythm. Slow play allows the "thought demons" to creep in.

In general if I'm going out as a single I'd rather just get through the round as quick as possible.

It also really depends on how slow the person is. If it's so slow that it's causing us to hold up other people, then I'd get annoyed no matter how nice and fun the other person was. If it was slow but we were keeping a reasonable pace and not slowing anybody up, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

those of you who have played in thp events, would you consider the round to have been fast or slow? i haven't played in many, but i want to say there were comments about it being common for the thp event rounds to be on the slower side. but everyone is having a great time because they're getting to know each other. so as much fun as you have had playing thp events, would you have preferred to play faster and not said more than a few words to your cartmate for the round?

Quiet and fast. I can usually warm up someone enough to have some polite conversation.

I'm out to play golf. Move it along.

Quiet and fast here. I'm courteous, but I stay focused on the round.

those of you who have played in thp events, would you consider the round to have been fast or slow? i haven't played in many, but i want to say there were comments about it being common for the thp event rounds to be on the slower side. but everyone is having a great time because they're getting to know each other. so as much fun as you have had playing thp events, would you have preferred to play faster and not said more than a few words to your cartmate for the round?
They can get slow but the one's I've been to have not been because of us. Since we are playing at peak tee times during the weekend the course is busy anyway so we are waiting just like any other Saturday or Sunday morning round. If THPers are holding up the course, JB drops the hammer and we get moving.

I like to play fast as much as the next guy but when it comes to being a nice person, it's no doubt I'll take that! Hopefully, my playing partner will enjoy the time and have fun also. Isn't that why we play in the first place??

I like to play fast as much as the next guy but when it comes to being a nice person, it's no doubt I'll take that! Hopefully, my playing partner will enjoy the time and have fun also. Isn't that why we play in the first place??
I'm good with that too as long as we are not playing slow and holding up the course.

Easy choice, quiet and fast. I played a public course with 3 of my good buddies a couple days ago and the 4:20 minute round was painfully slow. We watched guys fish balls out of a par 3 green side water hazard for 5 minutes that were 4 holes ahead of us and there was a group waiting on the tee. After they fished balls out they still had to putt out! After 6 years straight of mostly rounds under 3:40 and many around the 3 hour mark I really dislike playing rounds over 4 hours. I would quit the game if even half my rounds were over 4 hours.

Last edited:
Let's say you go out as a single. You are paired with another single on the first tee. Would you rather he be a really nice guy, but painfully slow or quiet and does not say much, but quite fast?

Take the poll above.

I picked the most common choice. Nothing worse than a chatty foot dragger.

Quiet and fast...chatter will make its way in and that's good. Going out as a single speed is key for me.

Non talker and fast. Hands down. Slow is painful for me.

Non Talker and Fast for me.. I get impatient when someone is super slow.

Non-Talker & Fast:

This is how the conversation should go...

-Hi, my name is Marco.
-Nice shot.
-Good round.

I've got enough people talking in my head during the round and need to focus on my game.

Let's say you go out as a single. You are paired with another single on the first tee. Would you rather he be a really nice guy, but painfully slow or quiet and does not say much, but quite fast?

Take the poll above.

I don't really prefer either one. I don't like the golfer who channels Chatty Cathy (I know a couple of them and they drive me nuts), but I also don't care for the player who is so uncommunicative that he makes others around him uncomfortable. I also abhor slow play, so I guess given the choice I'd have to take speedy, but it certainly wouldn't be the most fun round I ever played.

I really like to play with fun and social guys, but ultimately if he's super slow I won't be able to get over it so I'll go with the fast Buddhist monk.

As someone who labored through a 5:15 round this weekend (course issue, not the company), I'll take the quiet fast golfer every time. I don't mind jawing it up on the course, but long golf is just brutal, and if I'm rolling as a single, I'm probably going to be moving quick.

Don't care how nice he is. I'll take the guy that plays quicker.

while this is 100% true, it's not the reason for the answer. I dislike slow golf more than I do people.
I know.

Back