Cut Blue DC Golf Balls

Here are more photos from last nights session:

9344e0f0b4e9b877659ec662e5280e82.jpg
690032c78d31f3d6afaa0f97438507fb.jpg
6e4cc6fd47e891c181799dbe51b81b18.jpg
85b2b3dcaf16ba50ea32cb9516f0d61c.jpg

I got out for 9 holes late this afternoon. My thoughts regarding this ball are starting to become clear and focused. This is a very good ball. Like many other equipment choices, it is not so much whether something is good or bad, but whether it fits one’s swing. My swing flaw is that I add dynamic loft and generate too much spin. So, even though I don’t have tremendous club speed (my driver is in the low 100’s), I do much better with lower spinning equipment.

This ball spins. A lot. At least for me. It would be an extremely good ball for a player who struggles to generate spin.

I honestly think that this ball matches up as well as any other ball on the market for short game spin. I have now seen that over the first 18 holes I played it and again today. Those little 50 yard and in pitches and chips spin like crazy. I love that aspect of the ball.

Where this ball does not work quite as well for my game is with the driver. The first 18 I played with it, my drives were coming up 15 or 20 yards short of what Arccos says is my normal yardage for driver. To my eye, the ball looked like it was spinning more than I would like with driver. I thought perhaps my swing was a bit off, because I have been sick with bronchitis. However, today, I think I got my proof that the ball spins a bit much off of driver, at least for my swing.

I started my round and hit 3 drives that felt solid. Yet, they were only going between 250 and 260. See the photos. I then put one of my normal gamers on the tee for holes 8 and 9. As you can see, I hit one drive of 284 and another of 278. This is a significant difference. All 5 swings were good solid strikes, with a good club path approach to the ball. I attribute the difference in distance to the spin variance between the two balls.

I am going to continue with my feedback, but I am pretty sure that this ball is not the optimal ball for my swing, where I need to tame the spin with driver. Somebody who needs some spin will likely experience a much different result.

I do not see this discrepancy with the short game or with irons. It only seems to be with the driver.

I also continue to see very good durability with this ball. Any other questions, fire away.

Attachments

• 4C77FD7F-D76A-4B78-BB25-D4BF0631B385.jpeg
    4C77FD7F-D76A-4B78-BB25-D4BF0631B385.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3C44B22A-ACF6-4EBC-94F1-5BCEECF96A03.jpeg
    3C44B22A-ACF6-4EBC-94F1-5BCEECF96A03.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 0
  • E94BD2FD-563E-406C-989D-C4A82AC29241.jpeg
    E94BD2FD-563E-406C-989D-C4A82AC29241.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 0
  • D42D89C5-60D9-4A69-A16D-CFC070C3519F.jpeg
    D42D89C5-60D9-4A69-A16D-CFC070C3519F.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 163F37F3-ED69-4171-966D-FE06F92523F3.jpeg
    163F37F3-ED69-4171-966D-FE06F92523F3.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Would love to hear more from the other reviewers.

Good review Tenputt!

I've been trying to get this out for a round, but the weather just keeps being uncooperative. Another storm rolled through just in time for my round tonight, but I was able to hit a practice hole after they subsided. I hit this besides the Z-star for shots ranging from 100 yards and in. Like I mentioned before, the feel of the DC is definitely a hit harder, and the audible feedback more of a clicky sound, compared to the Z-star. I would still put the DC in the same category feel and sound wise at the Snell MTB-X that I've played, which would therefore put it in the category of other X type balls. I wouldn't call the feel off the club face bad, but I just personally prefer the sound and feel of a ball like the Z-Star or Snell Black. The ball has held up well for me thus far, with no real issues that I can see after 2 practice sessions with the wedges.

The DC does spin more than the Z-Star. I usually don't stop the ball and bring it back on my wedge shots, as a point of reference, as least not consistently. I was noticing more stopping power with the DC on the longer wedge shots. The wear on these has been good so far, but I'm hoping the weather finally cooperates so I can get them out this coming week. I have a scramble planned next Friday, so I'm very much looking forward to putting it through it's paces then. If I can get out before then I will provide further feedback, but work might dictate otherwise.

Any questions on the DC vs Snell Black/MTB-X vs Z-star please let me know.

Here are more photos from last nights session:

9344e0f0b4e9b877659ec662e5280e82.jpg
690032c78d31f3d6afaa0f97438507fb.jpg
6e4cc6fd47e891c181799dbe51b81b18.jpg
85b2b3dcaf16ba50ea32cb9516f0d61c.jpg

That's in way better condition than what I experienced with last year's Cut Blue. That ball would shred just by looking at it funny. I posted a bunch of pics of it in the Cut thread.
38182de8639d3366a4048c22b9364f88.jpg

1c587e1f4c6f50b55ea0a51ddec2d714.jpg

Oh, and I'm still hitting that ball in my garage range. You can't hardly make out what kind of ball it is anymore. It looks like I dropped it in the garbage disposal. lol

So I finally made it out to the real course and put the Cut Blue DC into play against some other balls. Dumb me never replaced the sleeve of balls in my bag so I only had one (the other two were from my previous testing). Unlike @Jman, it lasted only two holes.

Great news: the driver numbers (total yards by arccos) were within the range where I expect to see them. No visible tears or durability issues over the two holes (yup, wish I could stop losing balls).

Good news: the green I hit held it’s place and maybe only rolled out a yard on some decently baked greens. The ball also felt good off the putter (although more indoor testing is needed to really get the true sound).

Bad news: I lost it prematurely? I forgot to reload before the round?

Really though, on course we have a so far, so good situation. I’m content so far. It is definitely a better ball than the last Cut ball I reviewed.

So I finally made it out to the real course and put the Cut Blue DC into play against some other balls. Dumb me never replaced the sleeve of balls in my bag so I only had one (the other two were from my previous testing). Unlike @Jman, it lasted only two holes.

Great news: the driver numbers (total yards by arccos) were within the range where I expect to see them. No visible tears or durability issues over the two holes (yup, wish I could stop losing balls).

Good news: the green I hit held it’s place and maybe only rolled out a yard on some decently baked greens. The ball also felt good off the putter (although more indoor testing is needed to really get the true sound).

Bad news: I lost it prematurely? I forgot to reload before the round?

Really though, on course we have a so far, so good situation. I’m content so far. It is definitely a better ball than the last Cut ball I reviewed.

Good feedback.

Good feedback.

I should have plenty more coming after Sunday’s round (assuming I survive the heat). And I already reloaded the sleeve into the bag!

I should have plenty more coming after Sunday’s round (assuming I survive the heat). And I already reloaded the sleeve into the bag!

Good to have ammo. Will you be “cocked and loaded” or “locked and loaded?”

I have played the ball enough now and used on the chipping and putting greens to be able to make some definitive conclusions for how it works for me.

1. Durability - I would give it a B. I have gotten more than 18 holes out of a ball, but it does cut a little more than the premium balls I typically game, either a Pro V1X or Bridgestone Tour B XS.

2. Putting - A. It is fine. To me, a ball is a ball for putting. Once you adjust to whether it is more clicky or softer sounding, they are pretty much the same in performance. I will say that the ball feels softer than its stated compression.

2. Short game - A+. This ball is as good as any ball I have ever played for short chips and pitches. It is extremely lively.

3. Irons. A. It yields the same distance and performance as any other of the “X” type balls. It is a high ball flight for me and stops well.

4. Long game. I am not going to grade this component of performance because it is not that the ball is bad or good, it simply does not fit my swing as much as some other balls. It definitely spins a little more than my normal ball and it costs me some distance with driver, but for somebody who needs that extra spin, the ball would be an “A.”

Overall, I think it is a very good offering at its price point. My best score with the ball was a 74, which ties my lowest round of the year. Since the score is the bottom line for me, the ball clearly performs.

I have played the ball enough now and used on the chipping and putting greens to be able to make some definitive conclusions for how it works for me.

1. Durability - I would give it a B. I have gotten more than 18 holes out of a ball, but it does cut a little more than the premium balls I typically game, either a Pro V1X or Bridgestone Tour B XS.

2. Putting - A. It is fine. To me, a ball is a ball for putting. Once you adjust to whether it is more clicky or softer sounding, they are pretty much the same in performance. I will say that the ball feels softer than its stated compression.

2. Short game - A+. This ball is as good as any ball I have ever played for short chips and pitches. It is extremely lively.

3. Irons. A. It yields the same distance and performance as any other of the “X” type balls. It is a high ball flight for me and stops well.

4. Long game. I am not going to grade this component of performance because it is not that the ball is bad or good, it simply does not fit my swing as much as some other balls. It definitely spins a little more than my normal ball and it costs me some distance with driver, but for somebody who needs that extra spin, the ball would be an “A.”

Overall, I think it is a very good offering at its price point. My best score with the ball was a 74, which ties my lowest round of the year. Since the score is the bottom line for me, the ball clearly performs.

Great feedback - largely in line with what I’ve seen (with some minor changes). I hope to have more thoughts Sunday after my round.

As a global note, The $30 price tag is a bit interesting because that is a crowed price point with some big names.

As a global note, The $30 price tag is a bit interesting because that is a crowed price point with some big names.

This is very insightful, and something others have touched upon. You hit that price point and the field begins to fill.

9 holes of Cut, 9 holes of one of my normal gamers in the books today. This baby spins a healthy amount off all the clubs. Mostly that’s a ton of fun, other than the few that zipped back on approaches that I wish they hadn’t. The low checking chip was working really well too.

Durability was a minor concern again - a fullish 60* swing put some nice marks in the cover. I also made sure to donate one into someone’s backyard so they can use it.

My biggest head scratcher was the driver. I was still in the range I expect to see but I was consistently at the lower end of the range. When I switched balls, I was closer to middle or occasional the higher end. We aren’t talking life changing distance differences but it mattered sometimes. All told, however, they were still within the expected range so I’m having a hard time faulting the ball without more time.

9 holes of Cut, 9 holes of one of my normal gamers in the books today. This baby spins a healthy amount off all the clubs. Mostly that’s a ton of fun, other than the few that zipped back on approaches that I wish they hadn’t. The low checking chip was working really well too.

Durability was a minor concern again - a fullish 60* swing put some nice marks in the cover. I also made sure to donate one into someone’s backyard so they can use it.

My biggest head scratcher was the driver. I was still in the range I expect to see but I was consistently at the lower end of the range. When I switched balls, I was closer to middle or occasional the higher end. We aren’t talking life changing distance differences but it mattered sometimes. All told, however, they were still within the expected range so I’m having a hard time faulting the ball without more time.

I appreciate your thoughts. As you mentioned in a prior post, they are not so different from my conclusions. I see about 15 yards less with this ball than my gamers when hitting driver. It must be the spin. I don’t know what else it could be. Do you see that spin difference on your launch monitor at home? Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a launch monitor at this juncture.

I appreciate your thoughts. As you mentioned in a prior post, they are not so different from my conclusions. I see about 15 yards less with this ball than my gamers when hitting driver. It must be the spin. I don’t know what else it could be. Do you see that spin difference on your launch monitor at home? Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a launch monitor at this juncture.

My driver sample size is too small on the Quad to draw conclusions and I can’t use it for a short time due to travel. The god honest truth is my driver swing was so bad when I was testing (with a good iron swing) that I got frustrated and gave up on it to focus on irons and wedges.

The spin is the likely culprit but I’d still play the ball for its iron and wedge numbers so far.

Alright I go these out for a full round over the weekend, and here's what I came away with. I give some comparisons to the Snell Black and Srixon Z-Star since I'm currently using both of those.

Spin: I've been playing mostly with Snell Black and Srixon Z-star this year, and the Cut DC spins a lot more. I had 3 shots, one with a PW and two with 8i, that spun back at least 10-15 feet. Great, if I had played it that way. Typically I get much less backspin, so the balls landed around pin high, but spun back and 2 were off the green. I really couldn't believe it when I walked up there how much it spun back, as this has never been my result into a green. Not a fault of the ball, I would just need to adjust my club choice and club up as a result. I saw some spin back with the Snell MTB-X I trialed, but not nearly this much. That said, I hit some of the best irons shots so far this season with my Srixon Z765's during this round. The feel of the ball off the club is good, just need to adjust to that spin.

As a result of this spin, I also saw my drives taking off more on my fade, turning into a slice. I usually have a little fade on my drives, but this seems to be worse with the DC. I'd been messing around with my drives this year, and got them pretty straightened out. Obviously it could have been a bad swinging day, but nearly every drive seemed to really take off left to right. The ones that I did hit straight, weren't nearly as long as typical. Again, maybe it was a bad day with the driver, but I didn't feel like I hit one good shot, and more often I was missing way right.

Durability: I wish I had gotten a picture of this before I lost the ball, but one of the balls had a pretty big cut out of the cover after just a 3 or 4 holes. It went into the trees once, but other than that it was only hitting my clubs. A couple others seemed to mark up pretty easily. I will dig through my bag when I get home tonight to see if I can get any good pictures of the durability issues I've mentioned. This to me is a big concern. At this price I want my balls to last longer than a few holes before noticeable marks show up. When compared to the Snell and Srixon, it falls short of their durability, by a wide margin, IMO.

Pricing: Since this is a big marketing point, the price, I thought it would be good to bring it up. The Cut DC is in-line with the price of the Snell, and less than the Srixon (unless you got the BOGO sale). So to me, for my swing, the Snell at retail price is what I'd be buying, but the Srixon at BOGO would be my best option. Regardless of swing, I would still put the Cut DC 3rd, based on durability alone.

Overall: This is an ok ball for me, but does not fit my driver swing at all. If you are looking for more spin into the greens, I think this definitely gives you that, no question about it. I really don't want to use this ball anymore off the tee, because I think I was sacrificing too much in terms of distance, and finding fairways. My main concern is the durability. I'm newer to the idea of playing one ball, instead of whatever ball I find in the woods and throw in my bag. But, in my short experience, I've only seen issues with the Cut DC. The Snell and Srixon are much more durable, and the covers seem to hold up much better than this.

Any other questions on the Cut DC vs Snell Black/MTB-X or Srixon Z-star please ask!

Alright I go these out for a full round over the weekend, and here's what I came away with. I give some comparisons to the Snell Black and Srixon Z-Star since I'm currently using both of those.

Spin: I've been playing mostly with Snell Black and Srixon Z-star this year, and the Cut DC spins a lot more. I had 3 shots, one with a PW and two with 8i, that spun back at least 10-15 feet. Great, if I had played it that way. Typically I get much less backspin, so the balls landed around pin high, but spun back and 2 were off the green. I really couldn't believe it when I walked up there how much it spun back, as this has never been my result into a green. Not a fault of the ball, I would just need to adjust my club choice and club up as a result. I saw some spin back with the Snell MTB-X I trialed, but not nearly this much. That said, I hit some of the best irons shots so far this season with my Srixon Z765's during this round. The feel of the ball off the club is good, just need to adjust to that spin.

As a result of this spin, I also saw my drives taking off more on my fade, turning into a slice. I usually have a little fade on my drives, but this seems to be worse with the DC. I'd been messing around with my drives this year, and got them pretty straightened out. Obviously it could have been a bad swinging day, but nearly every drive seemed to really take off left to right. The ones that I did hit straight, weren't nearly as long as typical. Again, maybe it was a bad day with the driver, but I didn't feel like I hit one good shot, and more often I was missing way right.

Durability: I wish I had gotten a picture of this before I lost the ball, but one of the balls had a pretty big cut out of the cover after just a 3 or 4 holes. It went into the trees once, but other than that it was only hitting my clubs. A couple others seemed to mark up pretty easily. I will dig through my bag when I get home tonight to see if I can get any good pictures of the durability issues I've mentioned. This to me is a big concern. At this price I want my balls to last longer than a few holes before noticeable marks show up. When compared to the Snell and Srixon, it falls short of their durability, by a wide margin, IMO.

Pricing: Since this is a big marketing point, the price, I thought it would be good to bring it up. The Cut DC is in-line with the price of the Snell, and less than the Srixon (unless you got the BOGO sale). So to me, for my swing, the Snell at retail price is what I'd be buying, but the Srixon at BOGO would be my best option. Regardless of swing, I would still put the Cut DC 3rd, based on durability alone.

Overall: This is an ok ball for me, but does not fit my driver swing at all. If you are looking for more spin into the greens, I think this definitely gives you that, no question about it. I really don't want to use this ball anymore off the tee, because I think I was sacrificing too much in terms of distance, and finding fairways. My main concern is the durability. I'm newer to the idea of playing one ball, instead of whatever ball I find in the woods and throw in my bag. But, in my short experience, I've only seen issues with the Cut DC. The Snell and Srixon are much more durable, and the covers seem to hold up much better than this.

Any other questions on the Cut DC vs Snell Black/MTB-X or Srixon Z-star please ask!

You, @Molten and I are seeing similar performance characteristics, with the exception for me that the ball is plenty durable for me.

You, @Molten and I are seeing similar performance characteristics, with the exception for me that the ball is plenty durable for me.

I’d venture a guess that you are keeping it clear of trees, sand, and the exact yardage for a full 60* wedge more frequently than I am then. On course I’m seeing durability creep up but it tends to survive the round or until I donate it to the golf gods. It’s only concerning to me, not s deal breaker.

Your reviews have hit the home page. Looking forward to more thoughts.
Thanks everybody.

Apologies all, I’ve slipped on posting in here but that’ll be rectified fast and furious for a bit.

I’ve got a lot of rounds and practice in on these, I mean a LOT, I may not have been updating adequately but I’ve been playing like a beast.

I want to start on two things that were mentioned early...

1) Color - they’re very “eggshell” according to Doctor Miles and her expert opinion haha. Honestly though, it’s only noticeable when next to one of my Bridgestone or TM’s. Even then, I’ll trade the overly glossy and cheap looking previous gen look for off white any day of the week.

2) I do have durability concerns. I put pics in here of the wild 54 hole round on one ball, but I’ve also cut three others, one after 36, two after 18, and another after 6 holes. Take it for what it’s worth, the 6 hole one was with a new grooved 60 hi-Toe. Either way it’s worth discussing imo.

More soon.

Cut Blue DC Golf Balls

Got sidetracked on this however, hang in there with me as I have a major amount of Golf coming up and I'll give round by round reviews of this ball starting tomorrow.

Last edited:
Cut Blue DC Golf Balls

Wanted to add very quickly some stats that I’ve accumulated on ShotScope. I’ve noted along with other testers that the Cut DC has a lot of spin.
Here are stats on two rounds using the Cut DC
ab62f2e2619a0b40c93fbe6139b7e855.jpg

1516a4bb8a5c0e5bc50cb4562417a621.jpg

Here is today’s round with this years Z-Star XV:
f274dc5676898064ab3e0e026e3ccaa2.jpg

My take, big spin off the Driver and Wedges. My up and down with the DC were better than the XV, but the driver....Too much spin for me to control.

Wanted to add very quickly some stats that I’ve accumulated on ShotScope. I’ve noted along with other testers that the Cut DC has a lot of spin.
Here are stats on two rounds using the Cut DC
ab62f2e2619a0b40c93fbe6139b7e855.jpg

1516a4bb8a5c0e5bc50cb4562417a621.jpg

Here is today’s round with this years Z-Star XV:
f274dc5676898064ab3e0e026e3ccaa2.jpg

My take, big spin off the Driver and Wedges. My up and down with the DC were better than the XV, but the driver....Too much spin for me to control.

It is interesting that all of the reviews coming in have been fairly consistent.

It is interesting that all of the reviews coming in have been fairly consistent.

In another interesting twist, I did not see the same driver spin issue. It spun more than Chrome Soft, but only 200 rpms different than Pro V1X.

In another interesting twist, I did not see the same driver spin issue. It spun more than Chrome Soft, but only 200 rpms different than Pro V1X.

That is interesting. I have now played this ball enough, including hitting this ball and a Pro V1X off the tee with driver to know that it is at least 10 yards shorter on average for me. I don’t have a launch monitor, so don’t know the spin numbers relative to each other, but my guess has been that the spin must be the underlying reason. If I could get the same distance out of this ball as my normal gamers with driver, I could easily have it in my bag permanently. In every other aspect, it is a great ball. I haven’t even seen the durability issues some other reviewers are reporting.

Back