The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying out a stiff driver shaft again. Put the LZ handcrafted 6.0 in the legacy black driver head and hit big fades all day Wednesday night. Going to give it a go in the Great Big Bertha with the weight set to draw and see how it goes. The GBB seems a little more draw bias in general, so if I can get straight ball flights with it then I will keep it in there. Stiff driver shafts just seem to load so much better for me, but I can't control them as well. Want to get this settled before the season starts for us April 1st.

My next experiment taking my old stiff SLDR shaft and tipping it an inch or so, hopefully that works or will give x a try.

The answer is in the dirt! Had a great range session this morning. Have been coming in steep and hitting the ball too high, weak and to the right. I shallowed out my swing and my soft draw came back with the lost distance. Hit about 250 balls, simulated a round and worked on some green side chipping. Very productive practice, can't wait to bring it to the course.

After a good long conversation last night, I got a much needed range session in this morning.

Really worked on keeping my lower body still while getting a good turn in my backswing and then really exploding through the ball. I wanted to make sure my weight really got forward and for the most part - liked what I saw.

Only hit my PW, 9, 8, 7 and 6 irons but that was enough. Still could see a few swings that the ball stayed out left and that was because my weight was behind on the swing.

Feel much better about the changes and it is scary how much of the changes my instructor is trying to make, coincides with what I am doing in my fitness workouts.

Feel really good about where the swing changes are going.

On a side note, got to hit next to a young kid who was a lefty. We chatted a little bit and turns out he started playing about 3-4 months ago. Ended up buying him a bucket of balls so he could keep working while waiting for his parents to come get him. Nice to see young lefties in the game.

Slow day after being sick yesterday. Spent about 2 hours on the range. 1.5 hours full swing 30 minutes putting. Was really focusing on my body lines, my trajectory control and hanging back on the driver. Altered how I start my driver set up to something that will make sure my lines match as well as hang back and not let my right hand get in front of my left too soon. Was also working on using my left hand grip to get the desired shot shape on the driver.

Spent about a third of the time on iron trajectories and the last third of the time playing the course in my head so I wasn't hitting the same shot over and over.

Nothing very interesting on the putting green. 25 straight 3 footers in a row, 25 straight 5 footers in a row and some lag putting.

Had a really good range session right before I played today. Worked on making as full a turn as I can at this point. Seemed to really help as long as I turn and shifted my weight correctly. Do only one and it was not so pretty!

After spending most of Easter with Dawn and her family, made it to the range for some work. Worked on the same thing as yesterday - getting a really good turn and then really making that I got my weight through the swing.

Tough gauging distance and ball trajectory as wind was straight into my face on the range, so worked on the swing and making good contact. Finished just on time before the rain and hail came in.

Got out to the range today since I was off of work. I've decided that to take another step forward in my game that I need to have more narrowly focused practice sessions. Being that I had a physical day on the mountain on saturday and played 18 in some chilly conditions yesterday, I was feeling a bit sore and tight so I decided to focus on wedges today.

After loosening up with some chipping then stretching, I proceeded to pitch about 200-300 balls at 3 targets (55yds, 66yds & 95yds) with my 3 wedges (see sig). I alternated between the targets, hitting different shots into each target. I practiced choke-down, low, drawing, hop and stop shots to the shorter two targets and a smooth 3/4 shot to the longest with the 52°, Lofted pitches to the shorter two targets with the 58°, and a choke-down, knockdown draw to the long target with my 48°. What I specifically didn't do was hit a full 58° to the 95yd target. That is how far a full 58 would go, but I don't want to swing my wedges full anymore if I can help it.

These knockdown draws are quite a bit easier to hit for me that full wedges, and I feel more consistent and confident having these shots in the bag.

I switched clubs and targets often so I could try to develop some recall on how I was working the shots, and the improvement in dispersion as I went along made me want to keep hitting more.

I'm excited to keep working on these shots and really proud of myself for keeping all of the other cubs in the bag. Great session.

My buddy in Florida showed me a little tempo drill that I cant wait to try out on the range. I am hoping it helps me with my iron play this season.

My buddy in Florida showed me a little tempo drill that I cant wait to try out on the range. I am hoping it helps me with my iron play this season.
Can you share?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Can you share?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think I put it in the Breaking 90 thread.

It is really simple, set up and address the ball 3 to 4 inches behind the ball. Then hover the club over the ball forward then back over the ball. Now hit.

I liked it because you could get a little preview of the club face at impact, not perfect but good enough. I tend to rush my downswing and swing so hard and this helped me slow down a bit and focus.

Hit the range at lunch in strong winds and had no real plan of attack other than to continue the feel I had with my irons during Sat round and work on getting driver squared away. Iron work went good and driver just got in my head. Couldn't put the same move on consecutive swings.

Will spend end more time working on tips from my lesson

I hate going to the range when there is tons of wind, especially silly left to right cross wind. I do like getting out on the course in heavy wind, makes things interesting.

I hate going to the range when there is tons of wind, especially silly left to right cross wind. I do like getting out on the course in heavy wind, makes things interesting.

You would both love and hate Colorado then. You could have 4 holes of a 20mph wind in your face, then the next 4 holes no wind (would have been down wind, of course), then blowing 90 degrees from the first 4 holes. But I digress...

I like to focus on making consistent contact when it windy while I'm practicing. Helps me resist the urge to muscle the ball around

I spent a couple hours on the range today with only 3 clubs. All wedges. Working to learn the latest tip from Keegan, and really getting comfortable with that shot and a couple others. He last time out I found myself with opportunities to attack a pin. Yet I opted for a safer shot. A big part of that was lack of confidence, and trust. So I'm really working hard to build that confidence both on the range and going forward on the course. I will #OWN125 this year.

Hit a large bucket and hit about 50 chip shots yesterday hoping to do the same today and add an hour of putting.

Hit some balls today being careful not to take the club back in a closed position. It really helped me improve on a case of the pulls I have been experiencing. Had to make sure I didn't make my first move with my hands and initiated the swing with my shoulders. More work to do to get comfortable with it though.

Needed some golf therapy so I hit the range at lunch. Still working on the same things from my lessons, and they're proving kind of tough to really get ingrained. It's only been a few weeks, I know, it'll be a bit longer and it takes a while. Started getting frustrated with pushes and some slices, before I realized that I again was tensing up on the downswing and not releasing the club. As soon as I relaxed and started making sure to let my arms rotate, I was hitting nice crisp high iron shots.

The Knuth is going into the shop tomorrow since I can't capture whatever's rattling around with my heat gun, so I played imaginary holes using my 3Deep to tee off. I just love that club. I may push or pull it, but it just wants to go straight with very little curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the golf course by me during lunch today. Spent some time chipping around the green, and putting. Talked to the course manager, and he's ok with me coming out anytime during lunch to practice. There is no driving range, but it will be good for short game practice.

80 minutes at the range. Half full swing half 120 and in

Was looking at a video of a hole I shot a few days ago and saw just how far away from the ball I stand when I'm putting. Figured I should fix that and grabbed the putter and started carpet putting 5 footers to work it out. Now, I feel like I'm damn-near stepping on the ball but the roll I'm getting is tremendous. I hit 15 in a row at one point (I putt to a partially filled Dasani water bottle lol), which is tough to do because my berber carpet rolls like the greens at Chambers Bay last summer. Excited to work on this some more!

Continued my work on taking the club back, even on a chip, with the face opening slightly instead my normal closed position. It feels strange at this point but the results are very encouraging!

Wanted to hit the range today but work and life got in the way. Planning to go tomorrow. Focus will be split between wedge work and swinging driver like my 7i

Range yesterday with Jimmy Numbers, better than I thought for first time range session this year
7d0c4c9a57005c58f055c1e0d2858556.jpg

76d7b63b15dd1fced8da30f62497cab1.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Going to the range with 30mph wind gusts probably wasn't the best idea. Couldn't flight anything low so everything went right. Made some really nice iron contact working on weight shift though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back