Foursome Of Strangers Etiquette

I think you may just be over thinking it a little. Just go have fun, play from different tees, or whichever ones you want. Take mulligans, or don't. Putt 2 footers, or take em... either way just make sure you are having fun. I could never be bothered with policing someone elses round or giving a F what the guy at the pro shop thinks of me because my buddy bailed at the last minute cause of a sick kid, or a last minute work thing... I definitely wouldn't book for more than you're going to have and I would suggest, just keep play moving. Other than that, enjoy the day with some new people.

I'm just courteous and talk as much or as little as feels appropriate. Play ready golf and compliment good shots.

One thing I don't do for whatever reason is give gimme's and I don't expect them. If someone asks if it's good, I'll tell them my opinion, but otherwise I focus on my ball and putt out.

If day 99% of the time, I enjoy the company.

I I have only played with a handful of guys that weren't fun to be around.

if they want to stop at the turn to grab food or drinks that's cool because there is time between us and the group behind us to not slow us down or lose where we are on the course.
You could have told me one on one, you didn't have to broadcast it to everyone :D

To the OP, I don't think any of the things you said would prevent anyone from playing together. As many have said, do your thing, be respectful of the playing partners and their shots and all will be good.

And how in the heck, do you lose your spot by grabbing something to eat and drink to go. I've never encountered that. Now if they want to go in and have a sit down meal, then that's a different issue.

Meet strangers all the time. I have only a few things I do.
-usually play my tees
-shake hands before and after
-write their names down on my scorecard and use it at least once
-play ready golf

i've been playing golf for almost 17 years, and there have only been 2 times i've been paired up with people i ultimately did not like. the second time was this past sunday. i can get along with just about anybody by getting them to talk about themselves and complimenting their shots. you can also offer to help by repairing pitchmarks, helping them look for errant shots, sanding their divots, or even picking up a round from the beverage cart. if you do any combination of those things and still get nothing from the group you've been paired with, oh well at least you tried.

as far as playing tees, unless they're playing something way too long or way too short, i'm fine to play whatever they want to play.

as far as stopping at the turn, i think it would be rude to ditch somebody so i'm fine to wait.

as far as deciding who is on the tee first or deciding the order, i usually defer to others on number 1, then it's ready golf unless somebody made a birdie or better. if the group starts talking about honors based on gross scores, just feel it out and roll with it unless it slows down pace of play and affects other groups behind you.

as far as gimmes, that one's tricky. i'll start by saying i never ask for a "game" with people, let along random strangers i get paired up with. so a gimme isn't going to cost somebody money, and i'll "give" putts to them and "take" putts for myself even if not given if i'm out of a hole anyway or if i think it's close enough. i have played with people who refused to accept a gimme, and that's fine. again, you just have to feel it out most of the time. the group i mention above from this past sunday had a woman who was a real stickler about the rules, so she putted everything, including practice strokes and lining it up for inside a foot. but we were keeping pace so even though it was a little annoying it was her prerogative.

I like to jingle my change and clear my throat a lot when I get paired up with strangers, but, that's probably just me:D

Meet strangers all the time. I have only a few things I do.
-usually play my tees
-shake hands before and after
-write their names down on my scorecard and use it at least once
-play ready golf

I like the idea of writing their names, I usually struggle with names

People don't call in their orders when approaching #8? If I have that option, and I know I'm going to eat, this is what I try to do.

As for give me's, I always say "You can pick that up if you want." but always leave the option up to them and don't get bent out of shape if they don't take it, or don't offer the same in return.

The pickup line is what I generally go with as well. Give them the option.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Being a college kid living in a retirement community temporarily, I get paired up all the time. I usually shake hands before, make a little small talk, usually about the other 4 courses in the vicinity, and just play my game. If there's ever a conflict over putts I just say "I keep a handicap and would like to finish." But in a very considerate way, but that hardly ever happens. I will say, there was one bad instance where I got paired up with one of those surly "all millennials are lazy ingrates and don't know the proper etiquette of the game" types. First hole I sent a little message when we finished as he kicked his ball out of OB territory and didn't give himself a penalty claimed par. I said "Now I may be an ungrateful millennial but at least I treat the game with the respect and integrity it was founded on." He shut up real fast. And the best part was the next hole he wanted to play me in match play. I beat him 8 and 7. That is the only time I have REFUSED to shake someone's hand at the end of a round.

Back