Callaway XR Fairway Woods - THP Review

Yeah I've got the xr pro 4w and it's a beast.

I've had my XR Pro 4 Wood since spring and I can't imagine that I will even demo another 4 wood in the next few years. I can shape it either direction off the tee and I've never been so confident when approaching par 5 greens from 235-240 yards.

I've had my XR Pro 4 Wood since spring and I can't imagine that I will even demo another 4 wood in the next few years. I can shape it either direction off the tee and I've never been so confident when approaching par 5 greens from 235-240 yards.
Yup. I love the small size of the head and face. Contact feels great. Great distance for off almost any tee. Just perfection.

I added a 21* iron/driving iron to my bag and needed to fill the gap between it and my driver, 4 wood is the answer. My biggest complaint about my current 3 wood is that it's hard to hit off the deck. I tried at least 5 different woods and came across a GBB 5 wood, I liked it but out of my price range. Luckily I found an XR Pro 16* that I liked even more, I went back after work today just to hit it again and safe to say it'll be going in my bag before this season.

One question; what is the length of your XR shaft(pro, non pro, 3 deep)? Specifically the Project X shaft.

Today I bought the 4 and 7 woods off Callaway Pre-Owned in a bogo special. That's $139 total for both. Project X LZ 50 Blue Fwy Graphite 5.5 (Regular) shafts.

This review played a huge role in my decision, but the bogo sealed the deal.

Just a few rounds with these and there's no going back to my Razr Fit fairways. I hit the XR 4 wood higher, farther and more consistently than the Razr Fit 3 wood, and the 7 wood is close to the Razr Fit 5 wood for me. In the few rounds I've been playing these, the 7 wood may just be my new favorite club in the bag.

In the past, I haven't gotten along with most Callaway clubs, but after reading reviews, etc on the XR wood, I took the plunge on the 4 wood last week.

I played it that Sunday - with the only range time 10 minutes that morning. It was 34' and a slight breeze. Was on #4 at Wyncote in PA, which is 420 yard par 4. I hit a good drive, but the ball ( obviously ) wasn't traveling far, and I still had about 200 yards to the green. So it was time for the maiden voyage! I hit the ball, and it took off like a rocket, but higher than any 4 wood I have hit before. I hit a fade, and still landed pin high just off the green. I couldn't believe it, and my buddy was shocked! I only hit it one more time the rest of the round, and that was from a pretty gnarly lie in the rough. I didn't get too much out of that one, but I knew that wasn't the right club to use there - I just wanted to see what would happen. I have not tried it from the tee - my XR 3 hybrid is so automatic and long ( for me ) that I don't have the need right now. This club will be staying around for a while!

In the past, I haven't gotten along with most Callaway clubs, but after reading reviews, etc on the XR wood, I took the plunge on the 4 wood last week.

I played it that Sunday - with the only range time 10 minutes that morning. It was 34' and a slight breeze. Was on #4 at Wyncote in PA, which is 420 yard par 4. I hit a good drive, but the ball ( obviously ) wasn't traveling far, and I still had about 200 yards to the green. So it was time for the maiden voyage! I hit the ball, and it took off like a rocket, but higher than any 4 wood I have hit before. I hit a fade, and still landed pin high just off the green. I couldn't believe it, and my buddy was shocked! I only hit it one more time the rest of the round, and that was from a pretty gnarly lie in the rough. I didn't get too much out of that one, but I knew that wasn't the right club to use there - I just wanted to see what would happen. I have not tried it from the tee - my XR 3 hybrid is so automatic and long ( for me ) that I don't have the need right now. This club will be staying around for a while!
I used my XR 4w exclusively a couple days ago. I had a pretty decent FIR day, I must say. Oh, and I outdrove my group all day long. hehehe

Another great day for this wood! Played the Links at Gettysburg yesterday. Tough conditions - 55', mist, fairways soaked from all the rain. Hole #17 is a 425 yard par 4, and the second shot is uphill - and the pin was back. Hit a good drive, but with the conditions, still had about 200 yards to the green, and you have to carry a part of a pond that protects the green. I was going to lay up before the pond, but since my round was iffy at best, decided to go for it. Hit the ball flush, and again, it took off like a rocket, and it never left the flag. Hit the front of the green and rolled to 10'. Just missed the birdie putt. I'm not sure I've ever parred that hole before. I only hit it one other time in that round, and I thinned it, ( never got more than 3' off the ground! ) but it came out so hot it still went 170 yards on soaked fairways. The success I am having with this club is making me very curious about the XR driver for sure...

Anybody play 9 and 11 as hybrid alternatives?

I love my XR 4 and 7 wood so much I just dropped my 4 hybrid and ordered an XR 11 wood online. It had a senior flex shaft but was able to find a pulled 3 wood shaft on ebay from an XR that I'll trim and put in. I'll let you know how it works out. The XR's are just so easy to hit that I'd rather hit one of them than any hybrid.

I don't but I am seriously thinking about trying a 9 wood to replace my 3-4 hybrid...Anyone out there have any experience or thoughts on this idea?

I have 4, 7, 11 wood next being a 6 iron. I just bought the 11 same as Stan. I hit it really consistently and not 1 hook at the shop both outside and on monitor. Distance was pretty consistent and I can modify distance a bit with club choke down same swing. Pretty cool so...

Got the shaft today for the 11 wood, still waiting on the actual club. Don't think I'll have it in time for my first round of the year on Saturday. Will definitely let you guys know how it goes once I get it in the bag. I'm feeling optimistic though, the XR line is the best fairway woods I've ever hit so I think this 11 wood is going to be a major performer.

I love my XR 4 and 7 wood so much I just dropped my 4 hybrid and ordered an XR 11 wood online. It had a senior flex shaft but was able to find a pulled 3 wood shaft on ebay from an XR that I'll trim and put in. I'll let you know how it works out. The XR's are just so easy to hit that I'd rather hit one of them than any hybrid.
An 11 wood eh? I'm not sure I've ever seen one before.

An 11 wood eh? I'm not sure I've ever seen one before.

I haven't but I'm giving it a go, haha. If I can get more XR fairway woods in my bag I'm all for it.

Never played anything above a 5 wood but I do hit the XR fairway woods well enough to consider adding a 7 wood to replace 4 hybrid which I sometimes pull left.

I don't game them, but I hit the 11 wood last weekend at a demo day. And it was one of the easiest clubs I have ever hit, high and straight, shot after shot... I'm in full ponder mode...

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you tend to hook hybrids but struggle with long irons these really are worth a look.

I have the XR 7 wood and it goes in/out of the bag depending on where I'm playing. It's a great versatile club and just so easy to pick clean off the deck. Enjoy it.

Well that didn't last for me. Spent time this weekend with 11 wood and 6 hybrid at the range and neither did over a bunch of side by sides comparisons what I thought they might. Marketplace here I come.

I just dropped off my 11 wood off at the shop today. He's putting a stock stiff shaft in and will trim it to size. Should have it my mid-week. I'll let you guys know once I hit it how it goes.

Had multiple shots where these FW's really shined yesterday. They are just so easy to hit and the distance/consistency is incredible. They are also very easy to elevate and hit off the deck as well.

Had multiple shots where these FW's really shined yesterday. They are just so easy to hit and the distance/consistency is incredible. They are also very easy to elevate and hit off the deck as well.

Totally agree. This is the first fairway wood in a looong time I have total confidence in off the deck.

My 4-wood is my favorite club in the bag. Any time I have a tailwind off the tee, I leave my driver in the bag in favor of the XR, which I can just hit higher, have a bit more control over, and get crazy good distance. I don't often hit it off the deck, but it's solid there, as well. Love this club.

Picked up my 11 wood with stock stiff shaft today! Just holding it in hand it feels like it will absolutely launch the ball. Will hit it at the range this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.

Back