Everything you've wanted to know about golf but were afraid to ask.

Are we sure that is correct? You cannot drop closer to the hole. It isn't where your ball splashed down, it's where it crossed the line. I am assuming for the sake of this discussion, we are treating the trees like a lake. This is one of those goofy rules that very rarely gets used correctly.
It's where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard. It looks like the ball crosses over dry land just before it ends up in the water. So maybe the spot to drop is a yard or two further back.

I love the idea of this thread

I didn't know of the bolded part. so lets say there is a 90* dogleg left with a lake (red stakes) where you cut the corner.

lets say I hit a shot on the blue line and land in the lake. I usually drop where I crossed the hazard line (option d), leaving with wil a stupid shot to make and end up reaching the green in 5-6. could I simply drop near the red dot?

8_zpsgt9h2l7l.png

Man, the Pro Tracer graphics just keep getting better and better.

Are people really afraid or embarrassed to ask some of these? Seems like perfect opportunity for some new threads with some of them. Others, sure it makes sense to have an easy place to ask a simple question.

It's where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard. It looks like the ball crosses over dry land just before it ends up in the water. So maybe the spot to drop is a yard or two further back.

I see the pond now. Thanks for pointing that out.

There is literally only one spot at my home course where this rule is usable.

It doesn't come up too often for me either. I've maybe had this option make sense a handful of times since I've been playing.

It doesn't come up too often for me either. I've maybe had this option make sense a handful of times since I've been playing.

yeah I can't happen too often, the examplen I shoed above is the only one I thought about, but seems like a good one

When I was fitted for and ordered my irons, they were made 1 degree flat. What exactly does that mean and how does it differ from the standard off the shelf clubs.

When I was fitted for and ordered my irons, they were made 1 degree flat. What exactly does that mean and how does it differ from the standard off the shelf clubs.

It means that they were bent flat to compensate for where your strikes were coming through at impact.

tmpo_angle-lie2.gif

Looking at MPLefty's picture, wouldn't the ball have to be placed at the back of the pond since it was "line of flight"? (Almost in the other fairway.) Or is the pond considered a lateral hazard?

Looking at MPLefty's picture, wouldn't the ball have to be placed at the back of the pond since it was "line of flight"? (Almost in the other fairway.) Or is the pond considered a lateral hazard?

If the pond is red staked, then all is good with his picture, for the most part.

What about this hole:

kcc%20forest%206_zpsxloqzxl9.jpg

The pond in front of and next to the green is yellow staked (at least up around the green). The water far left is red staked. If I aim for the green and fly the ball over the green, but hook it left into the water/pond next to the green, what are my options? Can I drop on the small sliver of land between the pond and the big lake/red stake area on a line where the ball crossed into the hazard no closer to the hole? Or am I pretty much stuck hitting off the tee box again?

If the pond is red staked, then all is good with his picture, for the most part.

it is red staked. what do you mean by :for the most part?

it is red staked. what do you mean by :for the most part?
Your yellow drop dot thingy would need to be back a little. But you had the right idea

What about this hole:

kcc%20forest%206_zpsxloqzxl9.jpg

The pond in front of and next to the green is yellow staked (at least up around the green). The water far left is red staked. If I aim for the green and fly the ball over the green, but hook it left into the water/pond next to the green, what are my options? Can I drop on the small sliver of land between the pond and the big lake/red stake area on a line where the ball crossed into the hazard no closer to the hole? Or am I pretty much stuck hitting off the tee box again?
What color lines the pond by the tee boxes?

What color lines the pond by the tee boxes?

I'm not positive. At one time it was all red stake, including up by the green. But they changed them to yellow within the last year or so. I think they made the change because there is less than 12 inches from the green to the water on the left side of the green, so there really isn't an area you could drop without the ball landing back in the water or on the green. There also isn't a course designated drop zone.

Are people really afraid or embarrassed to ask some of these? Seems like perfect opportunity for some new threads with some of them. Others, sure it makes sense to have an easy place to ask a simple question.

Some questions, yes. Like why do I look so good on the course when wearing a blue THP Puma Golf 1/4 zip?

Cutting the shaft back a bit on the club head end of it, to make the shaft play slightly stiffer.
I get the idea here but how does one know just how much to take off the tip?

Someone is trying to convince me of the following:

Say you hit your teeshot for a par3 left of target. Behind a bit of a hill, everyone in the flight has seen it go behind the hill. Once you get there, it's very wet, some puddles and a lot of mushy grass. Ball is never to be found.

So options:
A. Sucks to be you, go back to the tee boxes and try again, with the appropriate penalty.
B. Yeah that's a temporary water hazard, guesstimate where your ball landed, avoid the temporary hazard and go on (possibly with a penalty).
C. Something else, also please elaborate on that.

I'm option A, the other dude is option B.

Say you hit your teeshot for a par3 left of target. Behind a bit of a hill, everyone in the flight has seen it go behind the hill. Once you get there, it's very wet, some puddles and a lot of mushy grass. Ball is never to be found.

So options:
A. Sucks to be you, go back to the tee boxes and try again, with the appropriate penalty.
B. Yeah that's a temporary water hazard, guesstimate where your ball landed, avoid the temporary hazard and go on (possibly with a penalty).

I've always understood it to be A as well. Lost ball =stroke and distance

What the heck is Wedge Flex? Where does this fit in the normal regular, stiff, X flex range?

It is different for every company I believe. Usually a little heavier and between R and S I think.

What the heck is Wedge Flex? Where does this fit in the normal regular, stiff, X flex range?

It is different for every company I believe. Usually a little heavier and between R and S I think.

Wedge flex is a term that was created by OEMs and in the case of True Temper (and others) its a stiff flex shaft. In fact True Temper says it will always be in the S flex category, but could be S200, S300 or S400 dependent on product selection. True Temper also has a wedge+ and it weighs about 7 grams more than the wedge flex.

Due to the length of the shaft being shorter, it plays even stiffer for most.

So options:

If there are no stakes marking it as a hazard then its option a when playing by the rules.

Back