The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

97b966a8d21cb1ad6ca8bcb66f379bd5.jpg

Straight Muggin' after a great round with a bag filled with awesomeness, all while repping the swaggerific apparel! The VLine was a lifesaver this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone else read that in a long island accent?

You gotta be close to having that kid, right?

Anyone else read that in a long island accent?

You gotta be close to having that kid, right?

Haha thanks, yea man, not done with the nursery yet but we just hit 6 weeks left today! Estimated date of May 8th, and time will tell but the wife is thinking sooner than later on the birthing front. That being said it is our first, so what do we know

97b966a8d21cb1ad6ca8bcb66f379bd5.jpg

Straight Muggin' after a great round with a bag filled with awesomeness, all while repping the swaggerific apparel! The VLine was a lifesaver this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that your MikeG game face?

I'll see your MikeG and raise you ddec "mirror duck face"
d880de2b531d862d60b3276190bce787.jpg

The picture of Clive #7 keeps popping up in other threads and it always brings me back to the best stretch of golf I've ever played. Holes 4 thru 9 where I played it -1. First thing that pops into my mind is my approach on 6. I had 110 and I hit a perfect AW and stuck it to two feet and rallo jump at me and hugged me hahaha dude what a great memory with a great friend for life. Miss you guys still and now that golf season is ramping up and I'm seeing my clubs every day this event lives on in memory daily for me

It was fun to watch you and hashtag trading blows... that shot.. the shot out of the fairway bunker on 15 and the par 3 on 16or17 really stick out as some clutch PhillyV moments. You and Chad were hitting some big boy shots

Last edited:

Phil those two days on that course taught me a lot about my game. One thing I learned I can putt under pressure. I might have missed some longer putts, but I drained all the come back putts and didn't miss one in two days.

I miss this team and our time together. Life might be crappy at times, but I open this thread and I can't help but smile.

Now excuse me while I go have a shot of Patron!

Last edited:
Phil those two days on that course taught me a lot about my game. One thing I learned I can put under pressure. I might have missed some longer putts, but I drained all the come back putts and didn't miss one in two days.

I miss this team and our time together. Life might be crappy at times, but I open this thread and I can't help but smile.

Now excuse me while I go have a shot of Patron!

I had never had patron until this trip and now I have a bottle in the house and nothing but smiles and memories when I see the bottle

Ha... patron the first night! MikeG puts up the money for a round of patron for everybody, and Travis volunteers to pony up the tip.

MikeG: "you can't just tip without looking at the bill... look at it....LOOK AT IT!"

as a former bartender... that many shots of patron can get pricey

Was listening to a Callaway Podcast yesterday that featured Hank Haney. The topic that struck me was when Hank was talking about fitting and the utilization of Trackman. It immediately gave me flashbacks to my fitting at ECPC.

Haney said that the ball flight tells the story, so look at your trajectory and shot shape, and if you like it, go with it. Golf is what the ball does. It's exactly how we approached my fitting, and I loved that. I'm not a huge numbers guy, yes I know my numbers, but I'm not chasing those magical launch and spin numbers. My fitter was the perfect match for me as we did majority of my fitting away from trackman.

We started off with irons, I told him I preferred to be in graphite. Right off the bat, that limited my options. We started with the stock recoil shaft. After hitting them well, my iron swing was really good that morning, we saw some misses a little left, pull draws, or hooks. We then went to a heavier option, and it was down to the Recoil 110 and the Steelfiber 95. Based on flight alone, again no numbers, the steelfiber was the clear winner. Shots were straight with a touch of draw, and at one point we rattled off 7-8 swings where the flight was nearly identical. It was a great feeling. Jumped over to trackman to confirm everything checked out, and sure enough that's what we ended up going with. We did toy around with the Apex Pro irons, which he recommended to me based on my swings, but I opted for more forgiveness because I knew my iron swing was really good that day. Let's face it, it's not always good.

Similar process with the driver. GBB head, grabbed a few shafts. By the end of it, swing was getting tired. I was fortunate of being fit at Callaway during GBB Week in August, so we used some of that info to go off of. That fitting put me in a Fubuki shaft, which I told me Grandaddy fitter I liked, but what a touch heavier. The most consistent flight came from the Speeder 565. I know it's not the exotic option that gets people all sorts of excited, but hell it worked really well. We jumped to a few other options, but the 565 was the winner. Confirmed numbers on trackman, and they were similar to what I saw with the Fubuki, however it felt better to me.

The other clubs went quick, and by quick I mean very limited swings. I never swung a 3 wood, just knew what I was going with based on my homepage review of the 816. Did hit the heavenwood, and we ended up stock there -1°. Took 5-7 swings with the Apex hybrid, which Chuck recommended based on the internal weight structure and my swing. I hand picked the shaft for that one as I love the UST VTS Silver hybrid shaft. I threw a Divine 9 in the bag too because I had an extra spot. Probably should have gone with the Mini Driver, but at the end of the week the bag configuration was really good for the course. 3 wood and D9 got very little usage.

Anyway, this is just babbling, but it was Haney's podcast that gave me a great flashback to it. No chasing numbers, look at the flight, and confirm with the numbers. For me, that was perfect. For those who enjoy numbers, it might not have been as good a session. Either way, it rocked.

Watching each player get fit on the range at ECPC was something special. I know people have these thoughts on what a fitting really is and such, but with experts and some of the best in the business there to help, its perfection.

Was listening to a Callaway Podcast yesterday that featured Hank Haney. The topic that struck me was when Hank was talking about fitting and the utilization of Trackman. It immediately gave me flashbacks to my fitting at ECPC.

Haney said that the ball flight tells the story, so look at your trajectory and shot shape, and if you like it, go with it. Golf is what the ball does. It's exactly how we approached my fitting, and I loved that. I'm not a huge numbers guy, yes I know my numbers, but I'm not chasing those magical launch and spin numbers. My fitter was the perfect match for me as we did majority of my fitting away from trackman.

We started off with irons, I told him I preferred to be in graphite. Right off the bat, that limited my options. We started with the stock recoil shaft. After hitting them well, my iron swing was really good that morning, we saw some misses a little left, pull draws, or hooks. We then went to a heavier option, and it was down to the Recoil 110 and the Steelfiber 95. Based on flight alone, again no numbers, the steelfiber was the clear winner. Shots were straight with a touch of draw, and at one point we rattled off 7-8 swings where the flight was nearly identical. It was a great feeling. Jumped over to trackman to confirm everything checked out, and sure enough that's what we ended up going with. We did toy around with the Apex Pro irons, which he recommended to me based on my swings, but I opted for more forgiveness because I knew my iron swing was really good that day. Let's face it, it's not always good.

Similar process with the driver. GBB head, grabbed a few shafts. By the end of it, swing was getting tired. I was fortunate of being fit at Callaway during GBB Week in August, so we used some of that info to go off of. That fitting put me in a Fubuki shaft, which I told me Grandaddy fitter I liked, but what a touch heavier. The most consistent flight came from the Speeder 565. I know it's not the exotic option that gets people all sorts of excited, but hell it worked really well. We jumped to a few other options, but the 565 was the winner. Confirmed numbers on trackman, and they were similar to what I saw with the Fubuki, however it felt better to me.

The other clubs went quick, and by quick I mean very limited swings. I never swung a 3 wood, just knew what I was going with based on my homepage review of the 816. Did hit the heavenwood, and we ended up stock there -1°. Took 5-7 swings with the Apex hybrid, which Chuck recommended based on the internal weight structure and my swing. I hand picked the shaft for that one as I love the UST VTS Silver hybrid shaft. I threw a Divine 9 in the bag too because I had an extra spot. Probably should have gone with the Mini Driver, but at the end of the week the bag configuration was really good for the course. 3 wood and D9 got very little usage.

Anyway, this is just babbling, but it was Haney's podcast that gave me a great flashback to it. No chasing numbers, look at the flight, and confirm with the numbers. For me, that was perfect. For those who enjoy numbers, it might not have been as good a session. Either way, it rocked.
Its not babbling, its great stuff and fun to read. I remember being over in the short game area and looked over at the group of guys getting their club fitting and saw the guy on the end just blistering iron shots. I said to JB, "whos that on the end?" and he says thats ddec. I wasnt surprised that it was you, i was more surprised that it was one of us 12 that was up there hitting crisp iron shots and not someone like finley or harry haha To say you were hitting your irons well is an understatement.

Its not babbling, its great stuff and fun to read. I remember being over in the short game area and looked over at the group of guys getting their club fitting and saw the guy on the end just blistering iron shots. I said to JB, "whos that on the end?" and he says thats ddec. I wasnt surprised that it was you, i was more surprised that it was one of us 12 that was up there hitting crisp iron shots and not someone like finley or harry haha To say you were hitting your irons well is an understatement.

used up all the good swings on them. By time the longer clubs came, the swing felt like I played 72 holes haha Until I found the XR16 Driver that is. Should have stole that thing.

used up all the good swings on them. By time the longer clubs came, the swing felt like I played 72 holes haha Until I found the XR16 Driver that is. Should have stole that thing.
haha you and me both. The best drives i hit that day were with the XR 16 Pro

Good stuff ddec! I went through a very similar process with my fitter. It really is incredible how good they are at what they do. And to top it off, he gave me a quick pointer on my driver stance that made a world of difference. Simple change (pointing left shoulder in, or having more of a closed stance), but after that there was a very noticeable difference that carried over into my play at The Hideaway.

2106a7cf67bad83d642e6481202cea0f.jpg

Man, I need to get me one of those in the 2016 version

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Interwebz is crazy lately. Life is crazy lately. New contests are starting for the 2016 Grandaddy team and i cant help but relive our experience. Listening to Finley talk about the Grandaddy in the latest Industry Uncut and how much fine detail he speaks of is just a cool reminder of how much not only we love this event but how much the Zoo Crew loves it too. I selfishly hope one of us gets to go to this years event and relive that piece of absolute perfection

e323a7c366b2ff0dfab25c5c5b1d3654.jpg
I remember you and I were having a hard time getting into the groove and we were losing strokes to Harry and Dnevs early... I remember this radio station turning it around instantly... if I could do it over again it would have been nothing but T-Pain radio

09a4185a36566be512a1bd9e890962b3.jpg

Absolute perfection.

Definitely

There is a mixture of jealousy and love for those pictures guys. That gear and clothing is just so special to see and I hope to one day be able to post my own pictures of my Grandaddy gear

Back