Xcaliber Shafts - New Website

Looks like my web designer changed the way I am to edit....and the ass never told me. The problem's still not fixed and I can't get in touch w/ him... Typical... Stay tuned. I'm on it.

Hi Jim -
Without experience it's difficult for sure. There's an industry lack of specification measuring standards like an ASTM protocol which myself and a few others tried to do in the '90s but was shot down by a couple shaft companies who didn't want their true specs revealed, and most viciously by the OEMs... How can I help you? I have a data base of over 1200 shafts and routinely compare competitor shafts to other competitor shafts for club makers and golfers. I'm not allowed to market the Xcalibers but i can at least give you the true facts and you can decide.
R

Robin, your site looks great.
I am most curious to compare your Tour X 95 to the Aerotech Steelfiber i95. The Steelfiber plays a bit stiff to flex so I have played the i95 in reg. with very good results. Do your shafts play more to stated flex or like the steelfiber a bit stiffer? Thanks

Robin, your site looks great.
I am most curious to compare your Tour X 95 to the Aerotech Steelfiber i95. The Steelfiber plays a bit stiff to flex so I have played the i95 in reg. with very good results. Do your shafts play more to stated flex or like the steelfiber a bit stiffer? Thanks

my time with the 6rt and tour sl led me to feel like the shafts play stiff to flex. looking forward to robin's thoughts.

Website looks great! Can't wait to see how us members at THP can test some shafts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Hockey Guy!
Interesting how most hockey players can smack the crap outta a golf ball, but the results are no way consistent w/ baseball and tennis players even though there's a great deal of similarities in all 4 swings...

Re testing I'm working through being a partner/sponsor w/ THP right now. Once I've made some decisions....we're off and testing!

Say tuned and thx for the post.
Robin

I see you made some revisions to the trip trim on the Tour X shafts. But there is still conflicting info on the wedges. Golfworks says 3". Your site says 4.5". I'm no expert, but it doesn't make sense to me to tip something 4.5" when there is only 3" of parallel length.

Hey -
Thanks for the heads up. Actually GWs' catalog recommends butt trim to length. But given there's 4.5" parallel, 3" can be tip trimmed by an experience club maker of course. The site reads..."Given there's a 4 1/2" parallel tip section, a combination of tip and butt cutting may also be used to "tune" the wedge shafts" which is accurate. Do you think that's confusing? Wouldn't an experienced club maker KNOW that they must leave a parallel length for shaft insertion in the head? Let me know.
R

Robin, I think you have to account for the first time club builder and make the statement idiot proof. Even an experienced club builder might cut one and realize they ran out of taper.

Even though I put it in the "Experienced Club Makers" section? Wow. But I guess you're right. I'll change it asap (my developers changed the login structure and I haven't rec'd those instructions yet...). Stay tuned.

Here's what I know.

According to Golfworks catalog, these shafts follow trim code IR20. According to this, the tip trim for 9 iron and wedges are 3". So, there are appears to be conflicting information with what you just stated. And until now, the only tip trim information I found on your shafts was Golfworks.

: http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/shaft_trim_inst.pdf

Hi Again -
I'm looking at Edition 1 of the GWs catalog, page 97, under Tour X Wedges. My catalog says follow trimming code IR1, not IR20 as is reflected for the irons. IR1 states butt trim only to length and is reflected in my site's trimming instructions. I've always felt trimming instructions are a BASIC reference guide and not the de facto ONLY way to assemble a club, so I added the Experienced Clubmaker section as another reference. My thinking in this particular case is that experienced clubmakers would know that after measuring the bore depth of a head (not all are the same obviously), that enough of a parallel tip section would need to be left to allow the trimmed shaft to be inserted and fit into the head. SOP. But perhaps that thinking is a bit over-stated so I'll add a max. 3" tip trim to avoid too much tipping.

Hey Hockey Guy!
Interesting how most hockey players can smack the crap outta a golf ball, but the results are no way consistent w/ baseball and tennis players even though there's a great deal of similarities in all 4 swings...

Re testing I'm working through being a partner/sponsor w/ THP right now. Once I've made some decisions....we're off and testing!

Say tuned and thx for the post.
Robin

Awesome thanks!!! I'm excited to give em a try if able and see how they compare to my KBS iron shafts

Hi Again -
Me too. Would love to hear your feedback. In developing the Tour X irons, I tested against Chris' Steelfibers, Kim's KBS', the Recoils, DGs, PXs, etc. All pretty good shafts. I was obviously happy with the results as i released the designs to market (well....after almost 2 years...).

Robin, I think that there's a disconnect between you and kuyaariel regarding tip trimming. Your latest reply mentioned the Tour X wedge shaft whereas I believe kuyaariel is commenting about the GolfWorks guide for the Tour X 85/95/105 iron shafts.

Now I'm confused. Post 32 mentions the wedges... I'll ask him. Thanks.

Hey Pal -
I was just told you've been referring to the Tour X irons...I thought you've been referring to the Tour X Wedges. Let me know and I'll fix immed. And FYI I just gained access (again) to my site and changed the wedges to read 3" max tip trim. so thanks for that heads up...
R

Robin, when are the wedge shafts expected to be in stock at Golfworks?

Tip trim to length?

Welcome to THP! Can you give a comparison between the tour x 95g to kbs tour 130 gr stiff parralel?

Yeah. Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to the Tour X Irons shafts. I did use this shaft in my pitching wedge and my 48* wedge. The trimming instructions for the Tour X irons shafts for wedges was 3" on the Golfworks site. Looking at your site, it said 4.5" for wedge trimming.

Hey Pal -
I was just told you've been referring to the Tour X irons...I thought you've been referring to the Tour X Wedges. Let me know and I'll fix immed. And FYI I just gained access (again) to my site and changed the wedges to read 3" max tip trim. so thanks for that heads up...
R

Hi -
Sorry. When you mentioned the Tour Xs and wedge....well I assumed...

FYI both trimming instructions have been clarified/corrected.

let me know if I can be of help going forward.

Hey PB -
They're on the dock right now getting ready to be put in stock. Trimming instructions are available on xcalibershafts.com and through GWs. Basic trimming is tip trim to length but a combination of butt and tip can also be considered for experienced club makers.

Thanks for the post.
Robin

Not meaning to be difficult....

Tour X iron trimming code per Golfworks is IR20 see here...

http://xcalibershafts.com/products/xcaliber-tour-x-iron/

Here is the trimming master sheet for Golfworks
http://www.golfworks.com/images/art/shaft_trim_inst.pdf

For IR20, it says 3" tip trim for 9 iron and wedges

your site, http://xcalibershafts.com/products/xcaliber-tour-x-iron/, says 4.5" for wedges

So there's still a discrepancy.

Hi -
Sorry. When you mentioned the Tour Xs and wedge....well I assumed...

FYI both trimming instructions have been clarified/corrected.

let me know if I can be of help going forward.

Hi Again -
I just rec'd. your post and thanks again. Although i've already changed to trimming instructions to make them clearer, let me explain. When any shaft has 6" of tip parallel, that allows an experienced club maker to trim any shaft a max. of 4.5" which was stated. Trimming instructions are NOT set in stone but rather guidelines. On my site in addition to the basic trimming instructions, i've added another little section for experienced club makers to consider (although I've also been told i'm stating the obvious...but that's OK. Someone who didn't know they have options are now made aware and they can learn...). I think the instructions are now more clear so thanks.
R

Basically Robin is trying to state that there isn't a standard for trimming as sets can be trimmed differently based on flex as needed by experienced builders, while kuy is looking for a general trim guide that would play to a preset flex per the design of the shaft.

I'd go with GW trim guide unless you find that you need a more specific flex.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Back