What Does the LPGA Need?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was asked this earlier and I gave it a lot of thought. I was asked what they need to take another step in the ratings and capture more fans. I hesitate because I am not sure it's possible, but let's assume it is and that it will not be a fringe sport. What does it need to do or need in general to do that?

We have seen dominance, although it appears to change to new dominance every few years.
We have seen great golf courses being played.
It is on the Golf Channel.
Their social media and digital marketing is pretty strong.

Do they need more American presence?
Do they need a dominant American?
Do they need more sex appeal?

What do you think they need or can do?

Controversy creates cash! You need characters! People you love...people you hate! Need crossover appeal like Venus & Serena Williams. And, the foreign/Asian domination of women's golf is probably keeping ratings lower.

We need Lexi to kick some ass

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

And, the foreign/Asian domination of women's golf is probably keeping ratings lower.

......I hate to say this but I do watch the LPGA when its on.....but this is what keeps me from watching it more. To me its less exciting for me.

And that is in no way a racist comment....because those Asian girls can flat out play. Its just less interesting to me...

i honestly think it's male ego arrogance that is hindering the LPGA. Their product and play is great each and every week. As you say their marketing and social is great. There's not much more they can do until golf's main viewership changes their ego driven opinion about women's golf being a sporting event.

• Admin
X 10000000. It's basically the South Korean tour at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

But its not though. Not based on results.
I mean there were more Americans in the top 10 this past week as there were South Koreans.

Dominant American(s), but also a different schedule is not the same days PGA is

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For me it used to be sex appeal and I think only because of the "dress code" they tried to start or did start, whenever it was, can't remember.

Recently it's just the lack of American presence every tournament. Brooke is there, Lexi is there but beyond that it's a huge amount of foreigners which I have never heard of can relate to.

Any female golfer with looks just goes to Instagram and makes a killing lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's a tough question. I don't know if it'll ever be as popular or carry the prize money the PGA tour does, which is sad because there's so much talent on the LPGA Tour.

I would say more American presence for sure would help. More mainstream coverage and exposure outside of the golf channel would be another benefit. They need their Tiger Woods to elevate their stock. They had that in Annika, but she quit playing tournament golf before getting to that point.

But its not though. Not based on results.
I mean there were more Americans in the top 10 this past week as there were South Koreans.

How about the overall money leaders?

It's a tough question. I don't know if it'll ever be as popular or carry the prize money the PGA tour does, which is sad because there's so much talent on the LPGA Tour.

I would say more American presence for sure would help. More mainstream coverage and exposure outside of the golf channel would be another benefit. They need their Tiger Woods to elevate their stock. They had that in Annika, but she quit playing tournament golf before getting to that point.

I dont think it will be there. Honestly I dont expect any female sport to live on the same level as the male counterpart in terms of fans. Fair or unfair, that is my thought.
Someone earlier mentioned Serena and Venus, and I think they did quite a bit, but viewership during the dominant years in tennis was low, at least post their 2001 US Open battle. They had a few bright spots, but in this country that sport, on both sides has not fared well.

How about the overall money leaders?

I think it would be 3 to 2 South Korea to the US. THere are some names on the leaderboards and money lists that I think at times make people think they might be from a region however.
I don't doubt that some think of the tour as the South Korean tour right now, but its quite international in general.

For me it used to be sex appeal and I think only because of the "dress code" they tried to start or did start, whenever it was, can't remember.

Recently it's just the lack of American presence every tournament. Brooke is there, Lexi is there but beyond that it's a huge amount of foreigners which I have never heard of can relate to.

Plus Brooke is Canadian!

Brooke is Canadian, and I can say her doing well has spiked interest for the LPGA around here

Brooke is Canadian, and I can say her doing well has spiked interest for the LPGA around here
I honestly watch more LPGA than I used to, it's only because of my renewed interest in golf the past 4 to 5 years. Brooke and Lexi are good to root for, there is Nelly korda and other gals while I believe not American I can root for. The dominant Asian presence just hurts my attention span.

I know this is not a PC opinion (and at least I'm not the only one saying it), but I think the LPGA would benefit from sex appeal. I don't think that is something that you can "fix", but I think it would move the needle if it happened. Besides that, I think they have just about everything else they need. Double good if they had a dominate American or two that were also toothsome.

I think it would be 3 to 2 South Korea to the US. THere are some names on the leaderboards and money lists that I think at times make people think they might be from a region however.
I don't doubt that some think of the tour as the South Korean tour right now, but its quite international in general.

It's definitely an international field on the LPGA. More so than American so I think it loses those casual golf fans. Here is the top 20 currently.

1 Jin Young Ko $1,070,931 - South Korea
2 Minjee Lee $703,472 - Australia
3 Nelly Korda $530,799 - US
4 Brooke M. Henderson $526,860 - Canada
5 Eun-Hee Ji $523,408 - South Korea
6 Carlota Ciganda $411,430 - Spain
7 Mi Hyang Lee $377,023 - South Korea
8 Sung Hyun Park $374,927 - South Korea
9 Amy Yang $365,176 - South Korea
10 Azahara Munoz $336,112 - Spain
11 Danielle Kang $335,585 - US
12 Nasa Hataoka $333,570 - Japan
13 Lexi Thompson $257,866 - US
14 Moriya Jutanugarn $247,235 - Thailand
15 Gaby Lopez $246,956 - Mexico
16 Ariya Jutanugarn $246,256
17 Hyo Joo Kim $241,741 - Thailand
18 Celine Boutier $222,170 - South Korea
19 Sei Young Kim $219,346 - France
20 Inbee Park $206,423 - South Korea

There are a multitude of things they could implement to increase popularity. I think the success of the Augusta National Women’s Amateur highlights that the golf course itself draws interest and attention. I would encourage the LPGA to begin discussions with the membership and managing partners of some of the well known venues to host their major championships......especially venues that no longer host men’s majors because they lack the required length. Clubs like Baltusrol, Cog Hill, etc.

Fair point, how about English is their native language? Lol

That's a good line to draw. :)

I'm the same way - I want to see Americans. And if not Americans, North Americans who speak English, then just North Americans (Lorena Ochoa was fun to watch!). The revolving door of dominant yet kind of boring S.E. Asians has caused me to lose some interest.

I think it would change dramatically if the like of Annie Park, Amy Olson and a handful of the other Americans sitting around the +40 on the money list were dominate and at the top each week. If you scroll down the money list its internationally top heavy. Need to flip the switch. We see what women's American soccer can do on an international stage and no reason why I don't think it could happen here.

They need an exciting, dominant player and I would put more stress on the exciting part. I know this will never happen but they need a Tiger type of player than can pull off crazy shots and create that excitement where you want to tune in to watch what will happen next. Without that I'm not sure what will grow it significantly.

I watch them quite a bit when they replay rounds at night. There are some really talented golfers on there, and I think they do a good job maintaining a quality entertainment product.

To me, their target audience is golf fans. When the PGA tour is on, thats what the golf fan watches. Regardless of their intent, they're competing with the PGA for viewers. Everything is there (maybe minus the hero American star) except for the audience - and they're really never going to prioritize LPGA above the PGA.

If I were in power, I'd really consider going to 54 hole (2 rounds, cut before 3rd) tournaments running on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. They would be BY FAR the most entertaining golf related thing on TV on those days, their target audience is free during those times.

To answer the question, they need to be on TV when the golf fan has nothing else to watch.

Back