Is there another golfer available for comparison that would have as much of an emotional impact as Tiger does? This thread would argue no.

I bet people knowing Tiger Woods to people knowing Sam Snead in the regular every day world is like... 6:1

Sure - Arnold Palmer would have the same if not greater emotional impact and a lot more people have met and know Arnold. Tiger was inaccessable for many years. But lets not get into a TW discussion.

Sure - Arnold Palmer would have the same if not greater emotional impact and a lot more people have met and know Arnold. Tiger was inaccessable for many years. But lets not get into a TW discussion.

I didn't say golf fans, I said people. While I believe Arnold Palmer to be one of the most influential people in golf (my personal fav), I don't believe he had anywhere near the non-golf impact that Tiger has had.

She has had a positive impact on the LPGA, but I just chalked it up to the recent LPGA rise in popularity to Aisa growth (S. Korea), stronger young players, Recent Solheim Cup results, & Lydia playing well.

I know you say the PGA Tour was healthy prior to Tiger, but didn't his run and performances dramatically increase tournament purses? I'd be curious to see how Ko's run might have impacted LPGA purses similarly.

It did. Just as it is happening with Ko and about to happen. And it did with Jack and Arnie too. Im not discounting what Woods did, it was remarkable. To me its just hard to discount one and say "well it could be other things" and not the other with examples of Dot.Com rise, companies spending tons more money (creating supply and demand), people having more money to spend on golf, etc.

I think they both have done amazing things, and while I think the comparison is not only incorrect, its unnecessary, I think most of the people that say "Tiger did this" have not really followed the LPGA and seen how desperate they were. As to the rise in LPGA, if anything the rise of the S. Korean and Asian market has been a detriment to US followers, who continue to chime in larger with US players.

Silly stat. Had tiger gone to the tour instead of college things might be different

I like the picture. I don't look at it as diminishing anything Tiger accomplished but gives some context to what Lydia has accomplished in a very short period of time.

Obviously she's not TW, nor do I think this photo is trying to say that. I think it's as Howzat mentioned, just a way to give context to what she's achieving. Personally, I think it would have been better for them to compare her against Annika, as she's one of (if not THE) greatest female golfers of all time.

I don't think it is a silly stat I see it as two professionals who are or did dominate their professional sport at the highest level.

Its a silly stat but the fact that TW fans are getting so bent out of shape about it shows that it matters. LK has been the most dominant player possibly ever in the LPGA and shes only 18. Shes only going to get better as she moves into her 20s and 30s and if she decides to play on tour into her 30s instead of quitting, getting married and starting a family, she will destroy every record in the LPGA record book.
Sure, she hasnt changed the game the way that Tiger did but thats because shes a woman and no one cares about the LPGA. Sad fact that when it comes to gender equality, we've come a long way but we've still got a long way to go.

Silly stat.

I just hope Lydia avoids the all too common trend of dominate for a year or so and then disappear of the face of the earth.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think it is not quite comparing apples to apples so to speak, but I know why the LPGA did it. If you want to generate interest in the sport amongst casual fans, bring up Tiger Woods.

Even us having this discussion on THP is good for the LPGA because they are being talked about.

Tiger was amazing, and what Lydia is doing is crazy. Sure she didn't go to college and we can say Tiger could have won several tournaments at the same age but Tiger used college to mature (physically/mentally/emotionally) yet Lydia is DOMINANT at 18...

Again not an equal comparison, but smart of the LPGA to bring Tiger's name into the discussion.

Stacy Lewis, inbee park, etc

I think players get hot. We saw that on the PGA Tour too. We are quick to forget the wonderful reigns of Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Luke Donald.
Heck, you might even make the case for Rory right now if we bring in Lewis and Park as comparison, because both are still solid.

Personally, I think it is singularly an effort by the LPGA to promote the LPGA. Just as Tiger moved the needle for the PGA, the LPGA is making an effort hoping that Lydia may become a needle mover. Thus the promotional (underscore promotional) comparison to Tiger.

I think players get hot. We saw that on the PGA Tour too. We are quick to forget the wonderful reigns of Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Luke Donald.
Heck, you might even make the case for Rory right now if we bring in Lewis and Park as comparison, because both are still solid.

And its not a popular opinion, but you can probably add David Duval to that list too.

Stats are what ever. I think Ko has learned a few things from Tiger, what to do and what not to do. Similar to how Tiger learned from Jack and Company. In the end Domination is Domination

That stat is as stupid as the question of who would win between Superman and Batman.

Obviously she's not TW, nor do I think this photo is trying to say that. I think it's as Howzat mentioned, just a way to give context to what she's achieving. Personally, I think it would have been better for them to compare her against Annika, as she's one of (if not THE) greatest female golfers of all time.
No one would pay much attention to that though.

I agree with the Rory analogy but while Westwood and Kaymer both rose to number one neither was ever dominant.

This was interesting to see. I wouldn't call it a silly stat at all, but rather one that really cannot be compared (I will not go into all of the reasons already given). I will say that domination is an impressive thing regardless of the sample or the era, but mixing and comparing genre's, tours etc. almost never works. Both have been and are very impressive in their own right though. I hope Ko continues too.

JM

I agree with the Rory analogy but while Westwood and Kaymer both rose to number one neither was ever dominant.

What I meant by that is that we were spoiled by the dominance of Tiger Woods. The rest of them are pretty interchangeable that rose to #1 for a year and then fell back due to the incredible play going on on the tour. I see the parallel on the LPGA with the names mentioned here.

Lydia appears to be different and doing so at a young age only really paralleled by the way Woods came on and took the Tour by storm.

What I meant by that is that we were spoiled by the dominance of Tiger Woods. The rest of them are pretty interchangeable that rose to #1 for a year and then fell back due to the incredible play going on on the tour. I see the parallel on the LPGA with the names mentioned here.

Lydia appears to be different and doing so at a young age only really paralleled by the way Woods came on and took the Tour by storm.
I agree with all of this.

Apples to Oranges.

I'd say Silly Stat, but I think Lydia is very talented and has a great chance at going down as the best women's golfer of all time.

Everyone knows Lydia is a Kiwi ay? Emigrated from South Korea but she's a New Zealander much like Frodo and Gandalf... carry on..

Back