Distance of Putts Made in a Round

cyoung2ty

Reaction score
Handicap
I started keeping more detailed track of putting stats beginning last year. Prior to that, it was just pretty much number of putts and the first putt distance so I had a somewhat reliable way of tracking average distance to the hole on approach shots where I hit the green in regulation.

Last year, I also started keeping track of the distance of the putt I actually made. I input it all on a spreadsheet after each round, and then it lets me see how many total feet of putts I made and the average distance of each made putt from that round.

Since I started last year, I've played 30 complete (18 hole) rounds. It's interesting to go back and see the rounds where I have higher-than-normal totals.

My best round was 82 feet worth of putts. The only putt I made from double digits was a 10 footer, but I also made 3 others from 9 feet and another few from 5, 6 and 7 feet.

I also input these stats into a strokes gained putting calculator. It uses my handicap index at the time of the round and then the number of putts and the first putt distance to estimate the average number of strokes someone with an identical index would take to make a putt from that same distance. Obviously, it isn't exact because breaking putts and straight putts aren't accounted for, but... it gives me something gauge myself on.

Interestingly, that round I mentioned above is by far my best putting round. It's 1 of only 2 rounds I've ever putted fewer than 30 times in a round (both last season) and, based on the calculator, I gained 5.18 strokes putting that day.

Primarily, I use them just to compare year-over-year and see if I'm improving... but I also use them to focus my practice time on the putting greens. I worked really hard at the beginning of last year on 6 foot putts. I found that I was missing a lot of those, and that resulted in a lot of three-putts. Once I got comfortable with that range, it felt more 'automatic' for me. I then moved my focus to putts in the 10 foot range. I never really got better at them... but I did find that when it came to some putts in the 10-15 foot range, I seemed to make more than earlier in the season.

With the season still kinda new at this point, I'm focusing back on that 7-10 foot range. The majority of my lag putts are finishing in a comfortable range, so... there have been fewer three-putts than last season... but when I'm leaving myself those 7-10 footers to save pars, I'm missing them. I want to increase the make percentage of those and that, in turn, will hopefully increase my up & down percentage.

Just curious if anybody else keeps stats like that, and if so... how do you use them?

Yeah I keep all my strokes gained stats and such. I think I am +.08 SGP per round or so for 60 or 70 rounds. A decent amount better when I take away out of season rounds. Putting is my best under 30 yards second best, driving 3rd best and ball striking 4th best and pretty terrible from 30-100 yards.

Back