Industry Talk & News - The Dean Has Spoken Volume 5 – THP Radio

Once again, thanks to those who are taking the time to give a listen.

Surprised to hear grandura going bye bye and all the changes at Cleveland.

Agree with Dean, he didn't really get the final say so. But I think that's been going to his head anyway :)

Another solid episode and my favorite so far.

You hate to hear about anyone in the industry losing their jobs, but like any industry it comes with the territory. Grandura is pretty shocking because I feel their product is pretty good and felt they offered an option for every golfer.

Match Play i'm on the fence. I get the need to make it a round robin with the thought that "cream will rise to the top", but I want these guys with the mentality that day one is just as important as day 3. I also agree with Dean that they are potentially playing a lot of golf leading into the 1st major of the year & could be sacrificing participation at the Houston tour stop.

Keep up the great job.

Hate to hear about Grandura...

Also surprised by Cleveland/Srixon news as well. I love their wedges and play their ball and love both. I hope they make a strong come back.

Good Listen.. As stated. The golf business is a tough one to break into and be successful. Even if your product out performs competitors. Sometimes pulling the plug, regrouping & starting over in the future is success. Experience is worth some cost. Hope Toulon gets a fair shake & hope to see the Grandura guys make a return.

Good stuff as expected. Surprised that Grandura is gone away so soon. I hope that these moves work for Cleveland / Srixon.

Great first half hour to the work week, and tons of info I wouldn't have gotten anywhere else. Thanks guys!

Listened to this one last night....it's interesting to contrast Grandura to Toulon, where one company seems like they tried to grow too fast, while the other one is trying to grow slowly and seems to have more of a long-term plan. I'll admit, I heard next to nothing about Grandura outside of here, but to pull the plug on that project after less than 12 months still seems a little harsh, but when the business side of things doesn't match up with the design side, then they had no chance from the start.

I'm a fan of the new WGC format. I understand that the one-and-done format was lost, and that was a really exciting day when it was in place, but honestly, how many people are watching golf on a Wednesday? The telecast over the weekend, especially on the final day, is always going to be more boring than a normal stroke play event because there are fewer players in the event, so if there's a better chance in theory of the top players making it to the weekend, the sponsors and the TV partners are going to be in favor of the current format. Plus, 2 years into this format and the winners have been Rory McIlroy and Jason Day, so I don't see it going away anytime soon. I understand that McIlroy and Day would have won in the old format as well with the way that they played (each went 7-0 in their tournament wins), but I don't trust the decision makers to take a deeper dive into the data on old format vs. new format.

Another good episode. I liked that Dean didn't like today's format!

When companies put in effort to connect with customers, I think it has big benefits. I like what Callaway is doing. A golfer can feel like part of the Callaway team. The two C's are big for me in sporting equipment: connection and customer service.

I didn't comprehend what was going on with Cleveland other than they replaced the marketing team. I love my Cleveland wedges, but it will never be lost on me that Roger Cleveland is designing wedges for Callaway. Marketing genius can't change that or make products other than what they are.

Grandura. Wow. That was one of the first THP videos I watched. And an aside: years back Ellsworth bikes was a joke to me. Crap CS.

Toulon. Dean's reference to boutique with putters resonates with me. But without something new in their design, I'm not sure I can get interested. How many Answer clones can there be out there? What would I gain other than novelty?

Dell Match Play. This was the first time I watched. I did enjoy the matches more when the outcome was absolute. But overall, it was a positive viewing experience for me.

Keep these coming!

Great show. The breaking news items were pretty heavy - interesting that Cleveland would introduce such a big change up at this point in the season. I get why they'd do that but still a big shakeup.

As far as Grandura... Wow. I was trying to figure out the timeline in my head just before you guys talked about the Sept/Nov introduction and true launch in January. Crazy they could be gone already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the shows keep getting better and better. Loved the breaking news and insider info in this one!

The Grandura and Cleveland news sucks, and I think Toulon will be around for a while. I think their approach is smart and seems well planned out, which bodes well for success.

Toulon Design will be in stores when they officially launch, so people will have a chance to roll them.
That is great news! I was wondering about that too and would love to see them in person and roll one when they finally hit stores.

This was a good listen. Saddens me to hear about some of the guys @ Cleveland. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this. I'm hoping it doesn't end up being change for change sake.

The Grandura stuff was a shock, especially based on the feedback on the actual product.

I'm torn on the match play stuff. I did enjoy watching the earlier rounds, but I can see where the switch to round robin takes some of the intrigue away. I wonder if you could split the difference and play a double elimination tournament with a winners and losers bracket. But, that might just end up being too complicated.

Great topics! I appreciate your candidness and unedited stumbles and fumbles in the opening segment. Maybe a few more old fashions and less frescas to calm the nerves...?

Cleveland golf: I hope they get their act together. I played TA3s and the 588s back in the day (late 90s-early 2000s) since then I haven't really liked much of anything they've come out with except for some wedges.

Callaway live: seems cool and (better thus far) Agreed last years guests were a little wonky. Off to a good start this year with Phil and more to come I suppose.

Grandura: never got enough time or visibility for me to actually have an opinion here. Seems like all the reviews were great but somewhat surprised another company wouldn't hop on the tech and buy the brand/products/model/etc. maybe we shall see?

Match Play: I couldn't agree more. Every year this thing lacks something. The round robin aspect in my opinion is quite dumb. It's not a "bracket" style tournament by any means. Part of what makes March madness great, are all of the upsets or potential for upsets. That being said, golf is about big names. The same people that are rooting on the underdogs to win in college bball aren't the same people who are rooting on the underdogs in golf. Anyone who follows the tour as much as I do, would be rooting for some upsets and some big names to move forward. The average fan has no idea that Byeong-Hun An or Emilliano Grillo were decent picks last week. They don't even know who they are.

Thanks for filling the void in between conference calls today! Keep it up!

I can assure you its not a nerves thing...haha

I can assure you its not a nerves thing...haha

U do so many I'm sure it's not either. Good episode either way Josh. Thanks man

Thanks for the thread...app didn't notify me so will download it for a listen. Sounds packed.

Another great episode. Finally got to listen this afternoon. They keep getting better and better

Listening to this now.

I'm going to disagree with The Dean here and say I liked the conversational back and forth format of this one more than the others. It probably didn't hurt that there were a few bits of breaking news that probably won't happen every show.

I'm definitely a bit bummed about Grandura, unless this news somehow floods the market with a bunch of cheap high quality closeout shafts :)

Great episode. Actually liked these topics a lot. Sad to see Grandura go, fan of the match play but dislike the Round robin.

The Cleveland move just feels like a total headscratcher but hopefully it goes well for them long term.

REALLY disappointed by the Grandura situation. It's just very depressing when a company with awesome tech just doesn't get a chance to really take off.

Another great show. I think this format worked well based on the topics and I can see you utilizing it as needed in the future.

Sad to hear about Cleveland Golf. I realize it's part of the business, but the guys we met were really cool. I hope that all of those displaced are picked up soon. I also hope that the changes were part of a well thought out plan and not from a desire to "just do something".

Grandura was a surprise. I knew that THPers had early access last year and that the launch wasn't until early 2016. The technology sounded really interesting. Based on your comment (quoted below) it is even more surprising that they are gone.

The interesting part of Grandura and BST Nano is that sales and tour testing were better than expected.

I think Toulon Design will be around for the long haul. Starting small, developing a tour presence and getting into the hands of people via box stores and green grass establishments will be successful for them.

I've only watched a few Callaway Live episodes but the fact that they seem to be more polished this season, to me at least, is expected. I might be jaded, but Callaway sets the example when it comes to golf related social media even when it's "outside the box".

To echo ddec, thanks for those that have listened. It was a packed show that we enjoyed doing and has some great stuff for those that are into a behind the scenes look.

Great episode. It's a shame about grandura but new companies come and go all the time so it's not that surprising.

Cleveland could use use some fresh marketing in my oppinion. It sucks that people lost there job, bit it's just business.

I havent listened much much to callaway live so I can't really comment on that.

I think Toulon can succeed but it's gonna take time. Scotty didn't get to the top of the premium putters over night.

And as far as the dell match play goes. I agree with Josh and Dean but it's all about ratings. Let's be honest, if it's Stephen Bowditch vs Rafa Cabrerra Bella in the final, way less people would care or watch compared to Rory or Jason etc.. I also think they should re seed on Sunday. Why would you make it so it's Rory vs Day in the semis. Talk about an anti climactic final.

Back