Should I carry a lob wedge?

I'm kind of in the same boat. Took the 3w out to add the 60, as I miss many greens. Problem is that I have the chipping yips and can't hit any wedge at the moment. The PW and 52 roll out too much and I end up way past the hole even if I land it on the fringe.

I say if you do not have any issues elsewhere in the bag that needs a club, just leave it. Having that extra hybrid might make your long shot decision harder.

I'm a big fan of only carrying what you need. I hit my wedges more than I hit my 4 iron, therefore I carry an extra wedge as opposed to a 4 iron.

Right now my wedge set up is 44 (P - Set) 48 (G) 54(S) 58(L)

I never use the 58°. Everything I would use it for I can do, and am more comfortable doing with the 54°. So why do I need it?

I keep telling myself that I would be better off replacing it with something else on the long end, but right now my gaps from Driver down, are right about where I want them to be.

Here are other considerations

•Do I add another hybrid that would fly roughly the same as my 3w, just to have the option?

•Do I add a mini driver (I honestly do not understand this club at all!?)

•Do I kick the bag down to 13 clubs to save weight?

•Do I just say screw it and leave it be, and use the 58° for a 1 out of every 100 bunker shots?

Thoughts?

my wedge set up is similar, but I use my 58* from any greenside bunker or chip around the green. If you are not using it as much as you think you should, maybe drop it and save the weight? If your bag is gapped properly, why mess with that?

I'm kind of in the same boat. Took the 3w out to add the 60, as I miss many greens. Problem is that I have the chipping yips and can't hit any wedge at the moment. The PW and 52 roll out too much and I end up way past the hole even if I land it on the fringe.

I say if you do not have any issues elsewhere in the bag that needs a club, just leave it. Having that extra hybrid might make your long shot decision harder.

Check out Phil's hinge and hold method for chips and pitches. It helped me with better contact.

A vote in favor of going 44-50-56 and swap 4-hybrid for 4-iron, then add Mini driver to replace 3w per your first post ponders. Oh wait... this started with lob wedge

Haha, this could get complicated. Maybe I'll give this a try on a different set.

I used to go 44/50/56 and leave it so I totally understand where your head's at. I carry a lob wedge today and use it a bit but a lot of times, you're absolutely right the 54˚ is plenty.

Looking at your options, it seems like you're not really psyched about adding stuff at the bottom of the bag, so maybe leave it or only pull it when you carry? Sounds like a good problem to have.

Another thought is to add something like a GAPR Lo for the rare instance where the 3w is too much club, and the hybrid is too high flying.

I’m kind of in the same position you’re in, but I foolishly try to hit some 50-60 yard approach shots with it at times. I really think I would save strokes by dropping it at times. The biggest upside to the 58* for me is the shortsided chips around the greens. If it weren’t for that I would have ditched it long ago and added another hybrid or a 5W.

Like so many things golf related, the range of needs/preferences is large. For many years, nobody every had a wedge with greater than 56 degrees of loft, so obviously a 58 degree wedge is not essential. My scores would suffer tremendously without a 58/60 degree lob wedge. I use it more than any club other than driver and I use it for most shots from 80 yards and in. If I were in your shoes, though, I would probably put a second driver in the bag, one set for distance and the other for accuracy.

I think it's a bit crazy to not hit anything higher lofted than a 54*. I mean, I get it, it is possible to post good scores with a 54* as your highest lofted but in most cases you would be posting those good scores in spite of your club choices, not because of them. It's essentially the same thing as not hitting a driver, only using a 3 wood as your longest club.

I would recommend practicing with the 58 (or better yet a 60) and learning how to use it. I can't believe someone would play rounds of golf and not put themselves in situations where a 58/60 is the obvious play. Obvious. If we have a situation calling for a 60 but we use a 54 because we lack confidence in the 60, that's a practice problem (and you're leaving easy strokes out on the course).

My 2 cents.

Check out Phil's hinge and hold method for chips and pitches. It helped me with better contact.

I have watched that instructional video, I haven't tried it yet. I think I will practice it Friday. Thank you.

I use to not carry anything higher than a 56 but when I switched my wedge set up I threw a 58. In my bag since my lowest wedge would have been a 54. Huge game changer for me. Don’t think I could go to a 60 because of bad experiences but you never know.

my wedge set up is similar, but I use my 58* from any greenside bunker or chip around the green. If you are not using it as much as you think you should, maybe drop it and save the weight? If your bag is gapped properly, why mess with that?
I like where Mike is headed here. Just because we can carry 14 clubs, doesn’t mean we HAVE to. If you’re happy with the gapping of everything through your 54°, just pull the 58° and play with 13 clubs.

Back