Should I carry a lob wedge?

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Right now my wedge set up is 44 (P - Set) 48 (G) 54(S) 58(L)

I never use the 58°. Everything I would use it for I can do, and am more comfortable doing with the 54°. So why do I need it?

I keep telling myself that I would be better off replacing it with something else on the long end, but right now my gaps from Driver down, are right about where I want them to be.

Here are other considerations

•Do I add another hybrid that would fly roughly the same as my 3w, just to have the option?

•Do I add a mini driver (I honestly do not understand this club at all!?)

•Do I kick the bag down to 13 clubs to save weight?

•Do I just say screw it and leave it be, and use the 58° for a 1 out of every 100 bunker shots?

Thoughts?

I play a 56 at the bottom of my bag so nothing wrong with dropping your 58 if you want to in my opinion. If you are not going to replace it with anything though it seems silly to drop it.

Every study I have ever read says to keep more wedges in your bag!

No. My thought is that most players (read: higher handicaps and those who only play a few times a year) get in trouble hitting lob shots that turn into line drives because they have no business trying the shot.

That includes me, obviously. It's a very low percentage shot for me. Although I have been having fun with my Callaway Sure Out 58° wedge. I have been using it every chance I get just to fiond out what I can do with it. So I contradict myself I guess. Unless you consider lob wedges starting at 60.

No. My thought is that most players (read: higher handicaps and those who only play a few times a year) get in trouble hitting lob shots that turn into line drives because they have no business trying the shot.

That includes me, obviously. It's a very low percentage shot for me. Although I have been having fun with my Callaway Sure Out 58° wedge. I have been using it every chance I get just to fiond out what I can do with it. So I contradict myself I guess. Unless you consider lob wedges starting at 60.

I have no problem opening up the face of my 54° and sending the ball sky high to a soft landing. I am so used to it that I wouldn't even consider my 58° for the task.

Personally, I couldn't do without my 58 degree wedge. I use it a lot more than my 54. But I do play on a course with smaller greens so my greenside bunker shots are normally 10 yards max (use the 58 99% of the time from the greenside bunkers) to the hole and hit a lot of low chip shots with the 58 to limit the amount of roll out. I use it for the vast majority of my shots from 95 yards in.

But if you don't use it, you should replace it with something that will add value to your bag. Without knowing what is in your bag, I have no idea what that would be though.

If you don't need one for your game, I vote skip it. If you start to miss it by hit your 54* long when short-sided, you can always put it back in. That's the beauty of experiments don't be afraid to use what works. I grew up with 48*-56* no lob wedge and learned to hit knockdown approaches with both and every shot imaginable greenside with the 56, really useful shotmaking skills. To this day I only carry 58* but it only sees 1/3 of the action that the 50* and 54* see. Simplify selection and focus on shots.

Personally, I couldn't do without my 58 degree wedge. I use it a lot more than my 54. But I do play on a course with smaller greens so my greenside bunker shots are normally 10 yards max (use the 58 99% of the time from the greenside bunkers) to the hole and hit a lot of low chip shots with the 58 to limit the amount of roll out. I use it for the vast majority of my shots from 95 yards in.

But if you don't use it, you should replace it with something that will add value to your bag. Without knowing what is in your bag, I have no idea what that would be though.

But, as I mentioned, that's the problem: Everything is gapped nicely at the moment, So I'm not sure what to add in its place.

I'm much different than you when it comes to how I play my wedges. I have become rather adept at playing high stoppy shots and low runners with my 54° I wouldn't think of switching to the 58° just to try to stop the ball.

If you don't need one for your game, I vote skip it. If you start to miss it by hit your 54* long when short-sided, you can always put it back in. That's the beauty of experiments don't be afraid to use what works. I grew up with 48*-56* no lob wedge and learned to hit knockdown approaches with both and every shot imaginable greenside with the 56, really useful shotmaking skills. To this day I only carry 58* but it only sees 1/3 of the action that the 50* and 54* see. Simplify selection and focus on shots.

We're in the same boat here

I use the heck out of my 58°. If you don't and can do every thing with the 54°, no reason to carry it. If you can get out of a bunker with a high lip with the 54 then I don't think there is a reason to change.

We're in the same boat here

It's a good boat. It's harder to hit a 54 "square" or "100% solid" than a 58* based on geometry alone. I'm a half-decent wedge player, and the threat of blading a lob wedge is real even for low handicaps.

As little as you use it I would recommend pulling it for something more useful like another hybrid or 2nd driver that is set for accuracy. My 60* is my most used iron in my bag but I know plenty of players that don't carry a lob wedge.

If you don't use it, then add something fun like a second driver, a driving iron, a hybrid for specialized situations.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I am trying a 4/5 hybrid combo with 52/56 wedges. I have experimented with a 60* in the bag but I have more confidence with the 56*. I like the way the 5h lands soft as compared to my 4i but I need the 4i as a driving iron on certain holes or windy conditions. I tried a 3h but it was not for me.

I am trying a 4/5 hybrid combo with 52/56 wedges. I have experimented with a 60* in the bag but I have more confidence with the 56*. I like the way the 5h lands soft as compared to my 4i but I need the 4i as a driving iron on certain holes or windy conditions. I tried a 3h but it was not for me.
Now this is an interesting concept! I don't like hitting my 4i, so perhaps a similarly lofted hybrid to accompany the iron for different lies.

Posted by my thumbs.

A vote in favor of going 44-50-56 and swap 4-hybrid for 4-iron, then add Mini driver to replace 3w per your first post ponders. Oh wait... this started with lob wedge

If you don't use it nor have enough confidence in it, I'd dump it.

It's great to have tools just in case we may need them but the desire and ability to wield them is big.

No rush to decide on an alternative but this thread may indicate that its presence in your bag, even to a small degree, may serve as a distraction to you.

I personally carry three wedges, and one of the three gets used much less than the other two also, although I would not consider taking any of them out of my bag. I went with different bounce options to accommodate for the conditions I find at the courses I play most. My 56* is mid-bounce, used for full shots and bunkers that most would consider normal, you know, the kind that actually have sand in them. My 60* is a low bounce, good for some shots around the greens where I can lob a shot over a bunker without having to drastically open the face, and for getting out of bunkers that are minimum sand over hard-pan, which is unfortunately really common around here.

You might find that your third wedge, if selected with a bounce/sole configuration that meets a specific need, might not get used a lot, but will be extremely valuable when needed.

What's the bounce and grind of each of your wedges? How often do you play courses that have very tight or hardpan lies? Describe the typical greenside bunkers at the courses you play (depth of sand, the height of lips)? About what is your up and down percentage around the greens and out of the sand?

My Lob Wedge is probably my favorite club in my bag. Oddly enough, it's the club I hit the most consistent. So, I'm probably not much help here.

If you're not using it, though, seems logical to just take it out of the bag ... or maybe leave it in and just continue to ignore it.

My highest lofted is a 56, if you don't use it, I say drop it and carry 13, then you always have room to add one if you find something you really like/want.

Well, originally, I was going to say "if you don't use it, take it out." But then I see you don't necessarily have a need a need to replace it with anything. That's a conundrum right there. In the end, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If you don't need/want the spot, why take it out?

~Rock

If you flat out don't use it, it's just taking up space. What do you need, Peter? Another tee club? A higher flying 4i? A driving iron? Think about where you play and any possible club that might fit the bill and get some use.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I personally carry three wedges, and one of the three gets used much less than the other two also, although I would not consider taking any of them out of my bag. I went with different bounce options to accommodate for the conditions I find at the courses I play most. My 56* is mid-bounce, used for full shots and bunkers that most would consider normal, you know, the kind that actually have sand in them. My 60* is a low bounce, good for some shots around the greens where I can lob a shot over a bunker without having to drastically open the face, and for getting out of bunkers that are minimum sand over hard-pan, which is unfortunately really common around here.

You might find that your third wedge, if selected with a bounce/sole configuration that meets a specific need, might not get used a lot, but will be extremely valuable when needed.

This is a really good thought. Much like you, a lot of the bunkers I deal with are that hard desert sand, but many of them are fluffy stuff. I've learned to manage both well with the 54° but perhaps it could be better if I had another option.

Back