TIGolfer1996

Reaction score
Handicap
5 years ago, I was an idealistic high school golfer who thought he had what it took to make it at least to the web.com Tour. In the time since, I realized that this was not at all the case, and that the one thing that was lagging behind my developing game was my wedge play. So I made a change. I had a pitching wedge, a 56* and a 60*, I broke that up (mostly due to getting new irons) so now my setup is 45 (PW), 50 (GW) and 56* and my 50-and-in game has arguably become Mickelson-esque since. So I wondered what other people have for their wedge setups. Penny for your thoughts?

4 wedges - 46 (PW), 50, 56, 60.

I'd rather have more scoring clubs than distance clubs.

I switched to 4 wedges - basically dumped a 5w to add the 4th wedge. I never hit it relative to the number of times I've been between gaps on my PW and 52. So now I have my Apex Pro 16 PW (46 Deg), a 50 MD3, a 54 MD3 and a 58 PM grind. It's been a great setup so far and I've never found myself saying "gee I wish I had a 5w in my bag right now."

I'm fond of using one club for several distances, so I have a strong pitching wedge at 44, then a Vokey at 48 and another one at 54. I don't use anything higher than a 54 because I have trouble with consistency in higher lofts.

I moved from 3 to 4 wedges around 1990. In the past always a 47-48*, 52*, 56*, and 60*. The last year since getting my XR Pros it's a 45*, 50*, 55*, and 60*.

5 wedges here. set pw, "set" pw bent to 50, 50, 56, 60. i find that full swings with the shorter 50 and up work much better for me, and i don't like the thought of missing greens from inside 140 (although i certainly still do). around the greens i almost exclusively use 56 and 60, though on occasion with use the others for more bump and run type shots.

the top of my bag is gapped in 30-ish yard increments. there's so much variability in those distances based on quality of strike that it's pointless FOR MY GAME to try to gap it any tighter. i'd rather have tighter gapping at the bottom end where success in distance control has a higher probability and leads to more scoring.

I have 3 plus my set PW (48°, 52°, and 58°). All three have different grinds that allow me to play different shots in different conditions to a variety of distances. Ive only gamed this set up for a couple of months so Im still working on consistency, but it is coming along.

PW and DW from my set, and my only other wedge is a 56*.

My game has improved significantly since moving to that setup from a 52* / 56* / 60* setup that I used to have.

More Practice, More Confidence, and More Time Spent playing with my 56* at the practice areas.

Right now, I have my XR Pro PW (45), and then a 52, 56, and 60. I'm debating a switch this year though because I don't like the gap between my PW and 52. I'm thinking of going with either a XR Pro AW or a 50* MD3. Ideally, I think that would mean that I would then also switch to a 54/58 setup to avoid a big gap between the 50 and 56, but I like my 56 and I'm not sure I want to take it out of the bag.

I came from an old school perspective with PW and SW only. I don't recall the loft numbers but would estimate my PW back then was more like 50 or 52. Now I have 46 PW and 52, 56, and 60 specialty wedges. I use all of them but am still learning how to best use each of them. Also with a new wedge options I was using too much loft on chips. I'm no Phil. I have gone back to 8, 9, PW for most chips and only pull out something from the wedge set if I don't have another option. That has saved me some strokes. I am also torn about the PW - 52 gap. I can come up short with the 52 and long with the W, likely the indian much more than the arrow however.

46-50-55-60

50 - 54 - 58 for me.

I usually go with a set PW and GW (which is usually 50˚), followed by two non-set wedges. Right now I'm using a Mack Daddy 3 54W and a PM Grind 60˚. Went with the 54W due to me having a pretty steep attack angle with wedges, and use it primarily for mid range shots 25-100, as well as some other places around the green like longer sand shots out of soft bunkers. The PM Grind 60 is the first 60˚ wedge I've carried in years. Something about the shape just oozes confidence for me and the grooves out to the toe help me compensate for my miss on short shots around the green. I use the PM grind around the green for pretty much anything that isn't a lower bump n run type shot.

46 pw 50 gw 54 sw 60 lw

Right now, I have my XR Pro PW (45), and then a 52, 56, and 60. I'm debating a switch this year though because I don't like the gap between my PW and 52. I'm thinking of going with either a XR Pro AW or a 50* MD3. Ideally, I think that would mean that I would then also switch to a 54/58 setup to avoid a big gap between the 50 and 56, but I like my 56 and I'm not sure I want to take it out of the bag.

that's why i had to tweak my setup as well. not sure about the xr pro, but the driving forged go very much far for me, and i had a 25 yard gap between pw and 50. that was just too much to manage so i had to find a fix, and i really like what i have now.

Currently play 46°, 50°, 55° & 59°

4 wedges
PW - 45
AW - 50
SW - 55
LW - 60

They need to have their lofts and lies checked though!!

50-54-58 for me. And also the set PW.

Set PW at 43* GW 52* and SW 56*. I don't see a big distance gap despite the large difference in lofts. If this changes, I'll add the Titleist 48 W that goes with my set.

Amp Cell PW is 44 degrees so I have 48 56 and 60 now. After a few seasons of not playing with a 60 degree I am ready to dedicate the time to practice with it and keep it in the bag. I will still tinker with wedges though

I have pw(45*), 50,54,60. I used to keep a 4* gap between my wedges but I have started learning to play different s***s with them so I went with a 60* for some loft for around the green since it's not a full swing club for me

5 years ago, I was an idealistic high school golfer who thought he had what it took to make it at least to the web.com Tour. In the time since, I realized that this was not at all the case, and that the one thing that was lagging behind my developing game was my wedge play. So I made a change. I had a pitching wedge, a 56* and a 60*, I broke that up (mostly due to getting new irons) so now my setup is 45 (PW), 50 (GW) and 56* and my 50-and-in game has arguably become Mickelson-esque since. So I wondered what other people have for their wedge setups. Penny for your thoughts?

here is a great thread on this exact topic.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?6494-Wedge-Setup-and-Why

Set PW is 44, set AW is 49, then two MD3's at 54 and 58. I'm actually considering getting a 62 and dropping my hybrid. I love my MD3s.

Back