sleuth

Reaction score
Handicap
3.3 GHIN
Heading to New Orleans in a week with the wife and couple friends for 3 full days. This is our first ever adventure to this city and something we can cross off our bucket list.

We're staying at the Inn on St Peter. We loved the look of the hotel and how it really fits that New Orleans style. We do not plan on having a car, so please keep that in mind.

I've read all the online material, but I always find it best by receiving personal recommendations. Places often become over hyped and tourist traps. For a first timer, I'm looking for the best places to eat and drink. Things to do or anything of the sort. What do you guys have for me? Thanks in advance.

I have to admit, it is a tourist thing to do, but Cafe Du Monde for cafe' au lait and beignets is a must. It's open 24 hours, so we chose to make it a midnight stop when I took my wife for the first time. It's about a 10 min walk from your hotel right across from Jackson Square down St Peter street to Decatur. Plenty of things to do and see in that area of the French Market. I would say that it probably isn't anything crazy special, but the people watching with great coffee and beignets in that area is pretty entertaining. Also recommend the evening jazz cruise on Steamboat Natchez if you are looking for a chill evening with great jazz and drinks. Again, very touristy, but being a fan of jazz music it was a lot of fun and for us it was worth it. We passed on the dinner on the boat since it didn't look like anything special so I can't speak to that.

After watching the guy on Top Chef, i want to go to Isaac Toups place, i think it's Toup's Meatery.

You will want to have a po-boy at Johnny's. They are literally the best you'll ever have. Get the roast beef!
Next, you will have to eat the chargrilled oysters at Drago's inside the Hilton Riverfront. Unreal, and I won't touch an oyster unless it's these- they're cooked!
Breakfast options are Mother's and the Ruby Slipper!!! More of a variety at the Ruby Slipper- awesome breakfast!!!!!
Dinner? My favorite will always be Mr B's. If you go, you have to try the BBQ shrimp and have pecan pie for dessert! Best you'll ever eat anywhere!
Other dinner options are Redfish Grill, NOLA, and for a cool eclectic dinner try Jacquesimo's!!! Awesome! Some like Acme Oyster House as well. It's pretty good, but mostly sandwiches and gumbo-type stuff.
Grab a muffuletta, the original, at the Central Grocery by the French Market, and eat some homemade pralines at one of the stores that cooks them near there.
If you want to catch a cab, go have a drink at the Columns down on St. Charles. You'll be on the main street the Mardi Gras parades run down, and you'll see those old, classic, New Orleans homes.

Anyway. You can stop in any restaurant in the Quarter and have a good meal. The restaurants are SO good down there, one can't stay open unless they have legit food.

Have a great time!

I'll be eating at Mr B's this Saturday night!!!!

Parkway deli is my favorite poboy in town. I get the surf & turf and it is fabulous.

Was just in New Orleans a few weeks back. ACME Oyster House was delish! Also recommend checking out Cochon http://www.cochonrestaurant.com/ Had a great meal there!

I've been there several times - Acme Oyster House is great - as is Coops Place for local fare and food (Right by Cafe Du MOnd), Oceana Grill for a Po Boy, and Dickie Brennans for a steak! (one of the best steakhouses in the country!)

I think the chargrilled oysters at Acme are slightly better than Drago's, but both are delicious. My take was that Acme's version has a little more garlic/butter flavor, while Drago's has a bit more of a char flavor.

One of the best places I've been to is Atchafalaya. The swordfish in curry is awesome as is the jalapeno crawfish dirty rice as a side. It is not cheap but not over the top expensive either. It is located on Louisiana.

Some solid recommendations, there!!

I will echo some of the sentiments above. But I will give my take as well. BTW, Uber is now in NOLA.

1) You want a top notch meal in the French Quarter? Bayona on Dauphine (400 block, I think) is one of the top restaurants in NOLA. Fantastic food options, really good chef.
2) Mother's is overpriced and overrated. There is better food throughout the Quarter, anyway.
3) Mr. B's is a solid choice - great location and great atmosphere.
4) Cafe Atchafalaya on Louisiana st. The last time I was there, you still felt like you were eating in someone's kitchen. I would recommend getting there earlier rather than later.
5) If you like raw oysters, Felix's and Acme are the two places known to go to. I think Felix's are a buck or two less. Drago's for the grilled oysters is a must.
6) MiLa is a terrific local-produce restaurant, not very crowded. It was fantastic!

Have a blast - don't eat too much!!

Man I have not been to New Orleans in over 20 years. To say I want to get back there soon is an understatement. Actually looked to heading down there tomorrow, but definitely do not want that 16 hour drive. The wife has never been there and one thing we plan on doing in the upcoming years.

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. This is perfect! I am just getting totally pumped for this trip and can't wait to eat and drink my way through this city.

Last time I was in NOLA was for my best friends bachelor party. One of the highlights was the 75 bucks we dropped at Krystals haha

Full disclosure, it was late in the evening haha

I agree with a lot of the suggestions thus far. Mr. B's, especially the BBQ shrimp, is awesome and so is Redfish. I would also suggest Deanie's for lunch. One of the highlights of my last trip

Fried Oyster Po Boy from Johnny's & dinner at KPauls... Gumbo from Cafe Pontabla in Jackson Square

It has been many years since we were there.
- My recollection is Cafe Du Monde was the one place that lived up to the hype; I'd go back there for beignets for sure.
- Oyster Po Boys at Acme were really good but I came away with a vibe that the place was a tourist spot. I prefer places the locals go. Next time I'd find a hole in the wall place and dig it.
- We got a muffuletta at the Central Grocery ... fun experience, kind of a must do in NOLA, but I didn't think the sandwich was to die for. If you do it, they were big so consider splitting one.
- We splurged for a nice dinner at Emeril's NOLA restaurant. Good meal but not really any different than any other Emeril's restaurant I've been to. I wouldn't eat there again, but only because of that factor.

Cochon Butcher is a great new spot that has received great reviews. Stanley in the French quarter has the best brunch banana frech toast I've ever had (among other things).

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'll be down in NOLA in early May, so I need to subscribe to this thread and start making a list...

Back