Do You Know Your Driving Distance?

I have a vague idea. It's about 275. I'm not sure of my carry distance. I'd guess about 250. I haven't been on a launch monitor is several years or paid attention to where it lands on average. And, I've never been on a Flightscope or Trackman.

my carry is between 220-230 most of the time. Been verified more than once on trackman and flightscope. With a longer than 45" playing length driver i usually can get 240 carry but not straight.

Ive been around THP a long time and played with tons of THPers both at THP Events and outside of there. Two things are always accurate.

1. Playing golf with THPers at a THP Event is simply better than playing any other golf.
2. People generally do not know how far they hit the ball on average at least according to verbal then testing on FlightScope.

Now part of that reason is because its not an easy number to know accurately because stores are not always accurate and courses seem to skip the club part nowadays.

So the question I have, is do you know how far you drive the ball? And how did you come up with that number for the average?

I only know total distance from times I track shots with Golfshot gps or back of napkin calculations from distance to green. I don't have any other data on my shots. I did hit a few drivers once while traveling in spring 2015 at a Golfsmith but the distances there were quite a bit longer than what I see on course and hard to believe; swing speeds were mostly about 105 with a few that were a little higher. My on course driver distances are typically 260-270 yards total flight + roll. I tend to flush one or two every round that go further but also have an occasional toe miss that gives me a low hook at about 220-240. Those sort of average out. I consistently hit my 3 wood 240-250 and my 3 hybrid about 220. In the end I don't really care what my distances are as long as I know what they are.

I would love to spend some time at a THP event with FlightScope. Unfortunately traveling to the open THP events in other parts of the country is not realistic for me. And as far as I know the nearest retail location with hitting bays and scopes is about 140 miles away. GPS will have to generally suffice for me.

Since I put M2 into play I am probably averaging around 245 - 250. Those that have played with me can correct me if I'm off on that. I can poke one out much further every few holes but I can also hit one 200 when I'm an idiot.
Going back to last season where I struggled it's probably closer to 230 average.

I don't know for sure as I haven't hit a launch monitor that I trust. Based on my results on the course I would guess my total driving yardage (not carry) would be between 230-250.

Honestly, no, I have no idea what my average driving distance is. If I had to guess, I'd say it's in the 225-230 distance. On a good day I might get out to 245 but I think that might really be stretching it. This season I might have to make more of an effort to see where I'm at.

I do not know my literal average of struck shots. I have an expected outcome based on good strikes, but that's not the same thing.

I'm usually around 220-230 total based on GPS readings during my rounds

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I know pretty close for carry with Driver. Roll is roll. Between SkyTrak and GameGolf the distances are easy to determine. New driver this year so that will be figured out when the weather turns and balls actually do not stick in their pitchmarks.

No, I have only been on an outdoor fitting monitor once and that was a few years ago. My average with my Callaway FT-I driver was 210 and with the new Optiforce I was testing it was 230.

With a driver? Nope; I've hit my driver maybe 5 times in the last 2.5 years. Same holds true with my 3w. Now, I tee off with my 4i a majority of the time. Assuming no wind, average firmness, and no severe slope to the fairway, I'm usually in the 200-220 range. If I hit it off the deck, you can cut 20-30 yards off of that easily.

I'm curious...if you're honest with yourself and the monitor is correct, why would there be any difference outside of wind adjustments? Just pressure of the actual shot meaning more on course?

Actually, I'm almost always longer on the course than any indoor sim. I never have been comfortable swinging inside on a monitor for some reason. I actually played a round with the instructor I used to see, and he even noticed that. I haven't been on an outdoor monitor in a long time, but I think that would be much closer to my on course distance. I have a lesson coming up in 2 weeks, and it is going to be driver based - I will have more accurate numbers then. I really hate indoor sims for some reason.

Right now my average is probably 240-250 carry. Courses have been pretty wet lately and I haven't been getting much roll, some making divots in the fairway and stopping there. I measure almost all of my tee shots with my Bushnell neo xs. I have a few drives a round that will go 270-280 on flat ground, but also about as many 230 weak fades.

A similar thread was posted last year and in my next round I measured all of my driver tee shots for that day. I averaged 271 over 12 drives. That was with the course dryer than normal and me hitting the ball much better than so far this season.

I definitely know my distance, I gps my ball then add 50 yards to it and bam done deal.

I have a good idea. I gps track a lot of drives on Golfshot at both altitude and not. Im excited to get some legit numbers at Club Clash. Last season, I averaged 290-310 total distance at altitude.

In Michigan, i was about 20 yards less with a few pokes over 300. My driver swing has felt really great so far through 3 rounds so I have a feeling that i might be a little longer than that right now but the proof will be in the pudding in a few weeks.

Been on quite a few monitors with my gamer in the last couple months and they have all shown about the same carry distance, with the exception of one that you could tell right away was set a little funky. I'm pretty comfortable with those numbers and have verified them using my local driving range (back net is 260 confirmed yards out and kinda judge carry distance by how far up the net I'm hitting) and some of the markings on my local course. I play for around 280, but leave myself about a 30yd cushion incase all the stars align and I flat out goat rope one.

Skytrak says that in a dead calm wind at my current elevation (550') I should expect between 235 and 250y of carry distance.

That seems about right to me.

I've seen carry distance on GC2 and total distance I have measured with both GPS and laser. It's a big number because I play at 5k feet and in the desert where the ball rolls for miles after it lands. I'm sure I would be much shorter in Florida.

I do not as of right now. However, I am hoping to get a better idea this Saturday at club testing.

i'm getting an idea, but i really don't know because my swing is pretty inconsistent. and there are so many variables.

does the ball matter? i think most testing indicates an emphatic yes. so if flightscope is done on a driving range with crap range balls, is that as accurate as on-the-course results with a gamer ball?

how accurate is cart gps? when i get in a cart with a decent gps, then drive to my tee shot, it will give me numbers from each set of tees to my ball. but does that assume the tee markers are never moved? are those distances adjusted at the start of the day? i doubt it.

how accurate are scorecards? assuming no gps, i can try to gauge distance by measuring my second shot, then subtracting that from the distance of the hole. but that doesn't accommodate day-to-day movement of tees.

do i swing the same indoors as outdoors? i'd say no. i really dislike hitting indoors, and very often see ball flights and shot shapes that are quite different from what i see on the course. that's all about me, nothing about technology obviously.

all that said, on the course i assume if i hit the ball the way i want to it will carry 225-230, and end up 245-260.

Yes. I have a good idea what my usual carry and total distances are.

I have a pretty good idea. I've been on trackman many times so I've verified my distances.

It never hurts to keep up to date on that stuff though.

I've got a decent idea, at least of carry distance based on my fitting and time spent on the Flightscope down in Savannah.

I typically carry 230-240 on a decent strike, and it approaches 250ish on a very well struck drive. I take these numbers with a grain of salt because they come from a voicecaddie swingcaddie 100 which only truly measures ball speed and club head speed, while you preset the loft. However, these numbers were validated at my local Golf USA and then at the ECPC, so I think the VCSC100 does a decent job.

Yes I have a pretty good idea how far I carry my driver.

Back