Bridgestone JGR Driver Review Thread

Played quite a bit of golf this weekend and put the 715 back in the bag. Friday was not so great, but played 27 holes yesterday and it was gloriously like it was last year. The JGR was uppermost in my mind though. I just feel like I will get a few more feet of ball height with it.

JM
Oh you will. Especially if you put the heavier weight in the rear. That makes a bigger difference than I thought it would.

Oh you will. Especially if you put the heavier weight in the rear. That makes a bigger difference than I thought it would.

I haven't done that yet. Tomorrow I'll be at the range at night and I'll see if I can get some videos on switching the weights and see if there is a noticeable difference visually on ball flight.

It does have that Nike SQ (Think that was the Nike driver) sound to it. You should here the 3w - it's really "Pingy"
This is a terrifying comparison to me as the SQ is arguably the worst sounding driver ever. That said, it's the first time I've really heard any knocks on the sound of it.

Anyone who has hit this and the J815 care to comment/compare those two acoustically?

This is a terrifying comparison to me as the SQ is arguably the worst sounding driver ever. That said, it's the first time I've really heard any knocks on the sound of it.

Anyone who has hit this and the J815 care to comment/compare those two acoustically?

Can't comment when compared to the J815 but when compared to the J715 the JGR is slightly louder. The feel and sound when hit flush is pretty darn comparable. All around the the J715 is more muted than the JGR. But I don't think it's anywhere near the Nike SQ. I don't even think it's TM R1 loud.

Having played several holes with YOUR 815 and watching Spicoli and Mmaynard hit the JGR (Was in line to hit it but ran out of time) I didn't notice any real negative difference in sound. It actually sounded closer to the 715 than the 815 to me.

I stood both behind and face on just not directly over the ball (since I didn't actually hit it :alien:).

Wouldnt worry about the sound at all......

JM

I got a chance to hit the JGR that JB had in his trunk when I was in Florida last week.

At first glance, the head shape reminded me of the Cleveland Classic which I liked a lot.

I only took a few swings because I really didn't care for the sound. It was hard to describe really. Not like the aluminum bat sound the old Nike & Cobra drivers had, but definitely metallic and clanky sounding.

The sound to me is probably my least favorite part of the club. It's definitely not terrible, but it's louder than what I am used to. There are times that it really sounds loud and grabs my attention, but for the majority of hits I don't notice or think about it.

Nixhex, how does it compare to the Fly Z... not only the sound, but how it performs?

I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to really dial things in with either driver but so far, to me, they are comparable in terms of ball flight, distance, and forgiveness. I don't know if I have hit either enough to really break them down but it seems to me that I could easily game either one of these with success. The JGR seems to limit my pull hook miss more than the Fly Z, but sound and feel have to go to the Fly Z right now. I was hoping the JGR would have sounded more like the J715 with maybe a higher launch but I am not seeing either. The Fly Z seems to carry about 260 for me and doesn't give me much more (at 10.5*), and the JGR seems to be a more piercing ball flight that maybe gives me that extra roll out (9.5*). So all in all, maybe a few extra yards right now with the JGR. I am going to try and tee the ball up higher this week and see how the JGR plays. The one time I tried it last week, it seemed to stay in the air a really long time with a baby fade. It almost feels hard to miss the fairway with. But the sound.... seems to be getting to me the more I play with it. I may try stuffing some yarn in the head and see if that helps.

I haven't had a chance to really dial things in with either driver but so far, to me, they are comparable in terms of ball flight, distance, and forgiveness. I don't know if I have hit either enough to really break them down but it seems to me that I could easily game either one of these with success. The JGR seems to limit my pull hook miss more than the Fly Z, but sound and feel have to go to the Fly Z right now. I was hoping the JGR would have sounded more like the J715 with maybe a higher launch but I am not seeing either. The Fly Z seems to carry about 260 for me and doesn't give me much more (at 10.5*), and the JGR seems to be a more piercing ball flight that maybe gives me that extra roll out (9.5*). So all in all, maybe a few extra yards right now with the JGR. I am going to try and tee the ball up higher this week and see how the JGR plays. The one time I tried it last week, it seemed to stay in the air a really long time with a baby fade. It almost feels hard to miss the fairway with. But the sound.... seems to be getting to me the more I play with it. I may try stuffing some yarn in the head and see if that helps.

Thanks, nice comparison.

How do you have the weights set on the JGR?

I know I'm drinking the "JGR Kool-Aid" but I like the sound. Gives me confidence. Like I really "Cracked" it.

Bridgestone JGR Driver Review Thread

sound is so personal. if ball go far and ball go straight I am not sure I would pass for sound alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
sound is so personal. if ball go far and ball go straight I am not user I would pass for sound alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not one to care for sound, enough to deter me from not using a club. It's more performance to me. The JGR is nothing of concern to me in the sound department. Heck I played a W/S FG Tour M3 and everyone hated the sound on that. The JGR is really nothing I worry about as its not even in that realm.

Thanks, nice comparison.

How do you have the weights set on the JGR?

Played the first few holes with the 12g in the back and 6 in the heel, stock setting I guess. After two pretty nasty pull hooks I figured I would try and swap them. I didn't notice much other than I didn't have a pull hooking issue, maybe the weights, maybe me. I only tried to work the ball once or twice and I find it easier to hit a nice controlled fade than a draw, but after the hooks, I didn't really try much. I put them back to stock and will try again later this week.

Having played several holes with YOUR 815 and watching Spicoli and Mmaynard hit the JGR (Was in line to hit it but ran out of time) I didn't notice any real negative difference in sound. It actually sounded closer to the 715 than the 815 to me.

I stood both behind and face on just not directly over the ball (since I didn't actually hit it :alien:).

Wouldnt worry about the sound at all......

JM

I don't remember the sound at all, so to me that means it can't be that bad. I'm playing a G30 so anything sounds good by comparison.

Well somehow I forgot I had a snipe set on a JGR on eBay with a Fubuki ZT 70x shaft. Ended up winning it. WTH?!

Nixhex, thanks for your comments. Keep us updated of any changes in your comparison, once you get them both dialed in.

Headed to the range tonight. Ill have the j715 and JGR on hand

for me i like the sound of the 715 better. but i would guess that i would like the results of the jgr A LOT better, and that matters so much more than sound. i've gamed some pretty caustic sounding drivers, so maybe that's just not something that's all that important to me in a club that i need lots of help with.

and i could never practice at that driver range! give me liberty of tee height or give me death.

Great vids X Man!!! I have to say, from the first video, that 715 sounds so nice. I was expecting the JGR to sound completely different, but you're right... it's just a little more "tinggy". Ball looks to hop off the face pretty quickly with both drivers... did the 715 draw and the JGR fade? I know you said you put a bad swing, but when I hit the 715 I was getting light draws where as I feel like I have to work a little harder with the JGR. Thanks for taking the time!

Great vids X Man!!! I have to say, from the first video, that 715 sounds so nice. I was expecting the JGR to sound completely different, but you're right... it's just a little more "tinggy". Ball looks to hop off the face pretty quickly with both drivers... did the 715 draw and the JGR fade? I know you said you put a bad swing, but when I hit the 715 I was getting light draws where as I feel like I have to work a little harder with the JGR. Thanks for taking the time!

Yeah I think so. I did find the left side of the range a bit more with the 715 than the JGR. I think the JGR was more receptive to getting to quick or handsy with it, which is my miss and causes a bunch of pull hooks or big draws. The JGR had a slightly higher ball flight and has slightly less lateral movement. I think the face milling does have some validity because my misses with the JGR both left and right side were less then with the J715.

The 715 with the Ahina shaft did launch slightly lower. Both are about mid high ball flights with JGR on the higher end of that and the 715 on the lower end.

Aside from the sound though both drivers felt almost identical when hit flush. The main difference is obviously the sound but I'm sure if you put some headphones on on when hit flush they would feel pretty darn identical. It's been well documented here on THP that sound equals feel so that's definitely going to play a role here IMO.

The Fubuki shaft felt great. I think it held up and felt sable throughout the swing. From what I remember from demo day this set up is definitely lower launching than the the stock set up. I think the stock set up is going to launch noticeably higher than what I have. With that said this isn't an adjustable driver so I think with the right shaft the JGR head can accommodate different desired launch heights very well. I'm going tomorrow to a Bridgestone ball fitting so I will ask the Bridgestone reps more questions on the JGR and different shaft pairings. I think Kuchar and Snedeker are both playing a speeder shaft in it.

The 715 may have met its competition for my Gamer

Yeah I think so. I did find the left side of the range a bit more with the 715 than the JGR. I think the JGR was more receptive to getting to quick or handsy with it, which is my miss and causes a bunch of pull hooks or big draws. The JGR had a slightly higher ball flight and has slightly less lateral movement. I think the face milling does have some validity because my misses with the JGR both left and right side were less then with the J715.

The 715 with the Ahina shaft did launch slightly lower. Both are about mid high ball flights with JGR on the higher end of that and the 715 on the lower end.

Aside from the sound though both drivers felt almost identical when hit flush. The main difference is obviously the sound but I'm sure if you put some headphones on on when hit flush they would feel pretty darn identical. It's been well documented here on THP that sound equals feel so that's definitely going to play a role here IMO.

The Fubuki shaft felt great. I think it held up and felt sable throughout the swing. From what I remember from demo day this set up is definitely lower launching than the the stock set up. I think the stock set up is going to launch noticeably higher than what I have. With that said this isn't an adjustable driver so I think with the right shaft the JGR head can accommodate different desired launch heights very well. I'm going tomorrow to a Bridgestone ball fitting so I will ask the Bridgestone reps more questions on the JGR and different shaft pairings. I think Kuchar and Snedeker are both playing a speeder shaft in it.

The 715 may have met its competition for my Gamer

Great info... thanks! I was messing with my JGR in the backyard net today and although it is a little loud, it just feels like its smashing the ball, which I love. I am hesitant to start swapping out shafts though... but I am considering going for a shaft fitting out here if I decide to stick with the JGR, which I most likely will due to looks at address and feel alone. This driver is a different case for me where the sound doesn't necessarily dictate the feel but I know what you mean. Sorry if I missed this, but are you playing the Fubuki thats in the 715 in the JGR?? I liked the way the 715 felt overall, plus the sound was nicer, and being able to turn the ball over with ease was really nice. Not giving up on the JGR just yet though... I know it has serious potential.

Back