bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
Greetings all - I currently live in Virginia, but if everything goes as planned I will be moving to Lexington, KY in two weeks. I grew up around there & graduated from Paris HS, but have been away for about 30 years.

A cool thing is as a veteran green fees at Lexington city courses are only $12 & just $26 with cart. That is amazing compared to the golf prices in the DC area.

I just looked GolfWeek's list of top KY courses "You can play". I know two of these are in the Lexington, area....Kearney Hill and Cherry Blossom. Any feedback on any other courses in the Lexington area?

• 1. Lassing Pointe, Union (m)
  • 2. Heritage Hill, Shepherdsville (m)
  • 3. Cherry Blossom GC, Georgetown (m)
  • 4. Kearney Hill Golf Links, Lexington (m)
  • 5. Wasioto Winds GC, Pineville (m)

Also, I would be cool to play with some KY THPers.

I live in Richmond on the Bull (it's now Boone's Trace National Golf Club)

Kearney and Cherry B are the only one's that I've played on that list and they are great courses. Old Silo is in Mt Sterling, it used to have a good reputation, but I've heard mixed reviews recently. But admittedly I've not played it in a long time. They've put a lot of money in the Griffin Gate Marriott Golf course in Lex, I would recommend it, it's nice.

I live in Richmond on the Bull (it's now Boone's Trace National Golf Club)

Kearney and Cherry B are the only one's that I've played on that list and they are great courses. Old Silo is in Mt Sterling, it used to have a good reputation, but I've heard mixed reviews recently. But admittedly I've not played it in a long time. They've put a lot of money in the Griffin Gate Marriott Golf course in Lex, I would recommend it, it's nice.

I've looked at houses online in that neighborhood. It looks like a very nice place to live. My only issue is I have dogs so I need a fence. I'm not sure fences are allowed there.

The Bull looks like a nice course too!

A childhood friend of mine, Jason Eberle, is the Pro at Gibson Bay in Richmond. I know the fees are reasonable and it looks like a pretty decent course. If you give it a try, let me know.

I've looked at houses online in that neighborhood. It looks like a very nice place to live. My only issue is I have dogs so I need a fence. I'm not sure fences are allowed there.

The Bull looks like a nice course too!

It is! You should come down and play sometime. They are in the process of doing a complete bunker renovation for the new golf year. Greens are great and while it's not a real narrow course (hardly many trees) it does have quick greens and a lot of uneven lies/fairways to make it challenging.

A childhood friend of mine, Jason Eberle, is the Pro at Gibson Bay in Richmond. I know the fees are reasonable and it looks like a pretty decent course. If you give it a try, let me know.

I like Gibson Bay, it's a pretty solid course.

Greetings all - I currently live in Virginia, but if everything goes as planned I will be moving to Lexington, KY in two weeks. I grew up around there & graduated from Paris HS, but have been away for about 30 years.

A cool thing is as a veteran green fees at Lexington city courses are only $12 & just $26 with cart. That is amazing compared to the golf prices in the DC area.

I just looked GolfWeek's list of top KY courses "You can play". I know two of these are in the Lexington, area....Kearney Hill and Cherry Blossom. Any feedback on any other courses in the Lexington area?

I played Wasioto Winds in Pineville a couple of weeks ago. It is a nice course. Has water on 13 holes. It is probably about 2 hrs away from Lexington.

My inlaws live in Berea, and so every time I go back I play Gibson Bay and Battlefield. Compared to playing out here in LA those courses are super cheap, but are awesome! I love Gibson Bay big time.

My inlaws live in Berea, and so every time I go back I play Gibson Bay and Battlefield. Compared to playing out here in LA those courses are super cheap, but are awesome! I love Gibson Bay big time.

I agree about the prices. Compared to the DC area courses they have amazing rates!

I got out yesterday afternoon and played Kearney Hill. I thought it was a very nice course....bentgrass fairways & greens. I liked the layout too...excellent combination of elevation changes along with water holes. The only issue I had was the bunkers seemed like they had more dirt than sand in them. Are those type of bunkers common on this area?

Overall, I will definitely play it again. You can't beat walking for $12 (veteran rate).

Welcome back. Disappointed I missed this thread until now. I just finished up my move from Northern kentucky to Lex. I've been very lucky to be able to play nearly all the courses that bounce around the top of the lists except kearney. The bunkers for the area definitely become more dirt than sand for many courses I'm afraid. Lassing is very good. Large smooth greens and good layout. Houston Oaks, Gibson, Cherry Blossom and Griffin Gate are the top tier in the area. Get to cherry blossom before the summer. It gets tons of play and looks pretty beat down by July. Griffin Gate has the best greens of any course in the area in my opinion. It's a tight course though and no range there. Houston oaks is pretty open and excellent conditions. Greens are the fastest in the area. They cut a little too short I think. But they top dress it well and it runs smooth. Old silo is a sham don't play unless it's for under $20 or so. It's one of the greatest courses I've played based on layout. Really great setup but the conditions are just awful. It's really unfortunate. I hear they're putting money into the UK Wildcat course so we'll see. Big Blue was fun. Tough back nine stretch. Played Boone's Trace for the first time a couple weeks ago. Really pleased. Once the bunkers are finished it'll really be fun. Tons of OB though. Tons. I'm playing Belterra today. It's a bit of a haul to get there from Lex but it's a great course just in Indiana. And Heritage Hill near Louisville is worth the drive a couple times a year also.

Subscribing to the thread so if you guys want to tee it up sometime let me know!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Welcome back. Disappointed I missed this thread until now. I just finished up my move from Northern kentucky to Lex. I've been very lucky to be able to play nearly all the courses that bounce around the top of the lists except kearney. The bunkers for the area definitely become more dirt than sand for many courses I'm afraid. Lassing is very good. Large smooth greens and good layout. Houston Oaks, Gibson, Cherry Blossom and Griffin Gate are the top tier in the area. Get to cherry blossom before the summer. It gets tons of play and looks pretty beat down by July. Griffin Gate has the best greens of any course in the area in my opinion. It's a tight course though and no range there. Houston oaks is pretty open and excellent conditions. Greens are the fastest in the area. They cut a little too short I think. But they top dress it well and it runs smooth. Old silo is a sham don't play unless it's for under $20 or so. It's one of the greatest courses I've played based on layout. Really great setup but the conditions are just awful. It's really unfortunate. I hear they're putting money into the UK Wildcat course so we'll see. Big Blue was fun. Tough back nine stretch. Played Boone's Trace for the first time a couple weeks ago. Really pleased. Once the bunkers are finished it'll really be fun. Tons of OB though. Tons. I'm playing Belterra today. It's a bit of a haul to get there from Lex but it's a great course just in Indiana. And Heritage Hill near Louisville is worth the drive a couple times a year also.

Subscribing to the thread so if you guys want to tee it up sometime let me know!

Thank you for the feedback on the courses. I played Houston Oaks a few years ago with a family member and thought it was very nice. It seemed similar to Kearney Hill in that it was wide open.

It's sad to hear about Old Silo. At one point wasn't it considered one of the best public courses in the state?

Absolutely! It was. And it still could be. If that course is taken care of there is no debating it belongs at the top. It's got incredible elevation changes. Potential for a good bunkering setup. Great closing hole. It's just a very interesting course. Wish I could've seen it in top condition.

Absolutely! It was. And it still could be. If that course is taken care of there is no debating it belongs at the top. It's got incredible elevation changes. Potential for a good bunkering setup. Great closing hole. It's just a very interesting course. Wish I could've seen it in top condition.

Anyone know what happened?? $$$$ issues?

Going to have to check out some of these places when my boys are a little older. Currently in FL, but we all bleed blue down here. Hoping to take a family trip up to KY in the next couple years. All my family is between Hopkinsville and Louisville, but want to make it over to Lexington so my boys and wife can see Rupp Arena.

I think it was money. There's something like 85 bunkers on the course. Lots of maintenance time right there. Not sure really what went into its downfall completely

Cincy Louisville and Lexington folks, the course at Belterra is in amazing shape right now. They've got some spring projects with gur still around but other than that I didn't have a single complaint. It's a course that demands a good tee shot. You're approach isn't as demanding and the greens roll very smooth. Fairly soft greens today and some good roll on fairways. Make the long drive and get a round in!

This is true. However I would not recommend this course unless they have gotten their act together.

Just sayin
Agreed , The bunkers as you can see in the pictures were unplayable and they should invest in more lawn mowers. There are some great holes just terrible conditions.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

Old Silo has been in decline for several years now, just a little to far out from Lexington to get the good traffic. The same thing happened to Eagle Trace just up the road in Morehead KY. That was a great course, and very tough, I understand that the University now owns it and it is back in great shape.

FYI to the Lexington area THPers, if you haven't seen the rare local commercials; The Golf Exchange is hosting a large Demo Day from 10 to 3 tomorrow. I won't be able to make it, but I did go to the one up in Florence last week. I feel like they have a better turnout from from vendors in years past. Even had a Wilson Staff tent with plenty to try out. Only thing I didn't see was putters (Actually wanted to try some)

Weather should be great. Have Fun!

FYI to the Lexington area THPers, if you haven't seen the rare local commercials; The Golf Exchange is hosting a large Demo Day from 10 to 3 tomorrow. I won't be able to make it, but I did go to the one up in Florence last week. I feel like they have a better turnout from from vendors in years past. Even had a Wilson Staff tent with plenty to try out. Only thing I didn't see was putters (Actually wanted to try some)

Weather should be great. Have Fun!

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

I heard a radio commercial today that Man-0-War Golf is having a demo day this Saturday (May 14). They said it was $10 for adults...less for kids...to hit all the clubs/balls you want.

I heard a radio commercial today that Man-0-War Golf is having a demo day this Saturday (May 14). They said it was $10 for adults...less for kids...to hit all the clubs/balls you want.

Heard that as well, I am going to try and make it out.

Back