2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

I'm just about at 20lbs off now in about a tad over 2 months :) and very proud of that.

but today (Easster Sunday) with the extended family I think I undid about a weeks worth of better eating in just a couple of hours :(
Even had more than my share of my famous rice pudding that I was asked to make :) .... :(

Hey, what can ya do? It is what it is. I have maintained the logic that we cont stop living all together and a poor day here and there is not going to kill me (or anyone). Tomorrow is back to doing the right thing and even though I expect I may feel a bit crappy tomorrow I am sure in a couple days I'll be feeling well again.

Fwiw I make my rice pudding in a huge batch and so an entire big tray of it will go to my job tomorrow for the guys to enjoy on the other side of the facility from my office...lol... it now just must get out of my house and my sight..lol.. so that's where its heading.

Down 2.4 for the week (could have been more, curse you starburst jelly beans)

Down 30.8 in 10 weeks, next goal is another 7 LB's by the end of April.

Travel week coming up starting tomorrow (Cali), but taking my workouts with me to try and at least maintain

Good works dudes!!!

Any recommendations for a good, affordable cleanse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 liters of water per day is the best cleanse. No sodas/alcohol for a month is a great kick-start.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2 liters of water per day is the best cleanse. No sodas/alcohol for a month is a great kick-start.

I actually cut out soda and alcohol first of the year and I do drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day. Looking for more of a juice type cleanse

A little late in updating but I am down another pound didn't have the greatest week but still lost a little. I am back on track now and will keep going . Keep up the good work people

I actually cut out soda and alcohol first of the year and I do drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day. Looking for more of a juice type cleanse

Most excellent, regarding the soda and alcohol.

My semi-professional opinion is never to do juice cleanses. Easy weight loss followed by your body setting up cravings to easy weight gain. If you're really gung-ho about it, look up Whole 30. You can get all the info online for free (or buy the book).

you guys are talking about cleansing and I am certainly of no authority about it. But when I get interested in something (such as my current goal of a better over all diet and nutrition kick) I tend to investigate and read and dig and search and then do it some more. There is a lot of debate out there that cleansing the body doesn't require any fasting at all and may actually do more harm than good for different reasons. Right, worng, or indifferent, I don't really know nor am I dictating it but only sharing. But there is belief that just eating healthier or really simply cutting out unhealthy foods will allow the body to cleanse itself anyway because that's the job of our organs. Basically the logic with that says just stop feeding your organs crap but feed them what they need to properly do their jobs and they will take care of all the rest, ridding what we don't need and using what we do need all on their own. To be honest, it does make sense but just sharing the thought fwiw and take from it what you will.

As someone who is not a runner, today's OT class was a tough one. Weights were kind of weak in my opinion (except for the burpees, those are always a best), but the running was intense for a non-runner like myself. The first 10 1/2 minutes we had to run .25 miles then walk for 1 minute, run .25 miles, walk 1 minute...until that time was up. Then we reset the treadmill and for the next 10 1/2 minutes we had to beat the distance we ran during the first block, but this time there was no walking, it was just straight running, with the last minute being an all out sprint.

I continue to surprise myself with my ability to actually get these long runs done, because the entire time I think I am going to die...or puke then die, but somehow I do it. I dream that one day I will be able to run with ease.

I'm kind of directing this at Maddog701 considering his amazing weight loss over the last year or so, but please, anyone with an opinion feel free to chime in.

What foods or type of foods can you remove from your diet that help the most with weight loss?

Also, I do not have a sweet tooth so desserts and such are not an issue.

I'm kind of directing this at Maddog701 considering his amazing weight loss over the last year or so, but please, anyone with an opinion feel free to chime in.

What foods or type of foods can you remove from your diet that help the most with weight loss?

Also, I do not have a sweet tooth so desserts and such are not an issue.

Carbohydrates, especially those that are high on the glycemic index. If sweets aren't an issue, then breads/pastas/rice. Swap them out for salads or other vegetables.

Carbohydrates, especially those that are high on the glycemic index. If sweets aren't an issue, then breads/pastas/rice. Swap them out for salads or other vegetables.

I will echo this as well as, learning to read labels, and actually count your calories in, versus calories out ... that is where the magic really happens.

As someone who is not a runner, today's OT class was a tough one. Weights were kind of weak in my opinion (except for the burpees, those are always a best), but the running was intense for a non-runner like myself. The first 10 1/2 minutes we had to run .25 miles then walk for 1 minute, run .25 miles, walk 1 minute...until that time was up. Then we reset the treadmill and for the next 10 1/2 minutes we had to beat the distance we ran during the first block, but this time there was no walking, it was just straight running, with the last minute being an all out sprint.

I continue to surprise myself with my ability to actually get these long runs done, because the entire time I think I am going to die...or puke then die, but somehow I do it. I dream that one day I will be able to run with ease.

I took the free trial class of Orange Theory and enjoyed it, but not enough to pay what they are asking on a monthly basis. I thought the workout was good and I liked the fact that you could see your stats throughout the class. For me, seeing the stats was a good motivator and helped me push to reach certain numbers.
As I already have a gym membership, I have taken what I learned in that OT class and applied it to my own workouts. A little more difficult to do when you're not in a group setting, but still a very effective workout if you are disciplined enough. Just keep moving!

I will echo this as well as, learning to read labels, and actually count your calories in, versus calories out ... that is where the magic really happens.

Thanks and what does the bold mean?

Use an app like my fitness pal and measure the amount of calories you are taking in on a daily basis.

Calculate your BMR (tons of calculators online just google) and then subtract 500-1000 calories a day from that and that is your goal for calories to eat on a daily basis. If you do that, no matter what your calories come from, you will lose weight.

I find it kind of strange how when doing something physically exhausting we tend to tire or wear down at first but then at some point there does begin a second wind (for lack of a better term) where I will feel just fine for a while sort of rejuvenated but then the tiredness or weardown does of course eventually come back.

But just for laughs...speaking of puking. When I played Hockey as a teen and probably til almost 30 I use to push so hard during a shift that when I would often get to the bench I would immediately then head right for the nearest pail....lol
I would even do this a few times during the same game. I would just push so hard especially if playing center. Was always a tad easier on the wing or defense but even then if the puck was more on my areas of responsibility I'd push hard. And I was in great shape but still would get myself momentarily sick. But I wasn't the only one as I seen plenty others do the same. People often wonder why a hockey shift may often be only a minute at a time. One can be the best player on a team but if their energy is spent they are a liability and no longer an asset. At least till they get a breather to then go another minute or two. Anyway it is funny how one can often get a second wind and the more we do it the more that second wind lasts a little longer. I been trotting up my buildings (place of employment) 430 steps almost every day. Its getting easier and now I start adding the last sets of stairs a couple more times. But in daily exorcising different from playing a sport where as pushing too hard is not always a good thing. There is a line between a good workout and stressing our body's too much. The later is not always healthiest option. We will get to places workout wise where the workouts are more intense and yet we can do them without overly stressing. Im not a fan of very easy workouts but not overly stressing either. Somewhere in between imo is perfect for body maintenance.

Sorry I am not good with the editor ... counting calories really has held me accountable ... I felt eliminating carbs, and eating the "right" food was good enough, but some "good" foods had high calories costs that I was not really taking into account. Through this thread I learned about counting calories, and it really made a difference in my intake and food selection.

(hope I did not stray too far from your original question ... )

Use an app like my fitness pal and measure the amount of calories you are taking in on a daily basis.

Calculate your BMR (tons of calculators online just google) and then subtract 500-1000 calories a day from that and that is your goal for calories to eat on a daily basis. If you do that, no matter what your calories come from, you will lose weight.

OK, so my BMR = 1593.6
I used the Harris Benedict Equation to figure I need about 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight.
Gonna start counting the calories and keep it under 2000 daily and add some regular cardio (need to dust off the treadmill and elliptical in the basement).

Thanks everyone for the insight.

Just an extra thought on BMR, but most people use their total body weight when using a calculator and you should be using your lean body mass. That's not to say you won't lose weight right away by restricting calories, but you may need to eat less than the calculators tell you.

Also, some calculators let you pick from a range of lifestyles/activity levels. If you pick a calculation based on moderate to high activity and then don't get close to the level of activity in for that day you probably ate too much if eating the max amount of calories recommended.

i checked in at 167 on my scale this morning. when i was sick a couple weeks ago and went to the doctor, i had weighed 169 in the morning and was 166 point something fully clothed so maybe our scale is on the heavy side and i'm closer to 165. if not, i'm still pleased with 167 down from 190+ at the end of the last summer.

i find that i still crave the junk and i crave it all the time. but if i cheat, i really feel gross. not just guilty, but gross.

i find that i still crave the junk and i crave it all the time. but if i cheat, i really feel gross. not just guilty, but gross.

I've found that finding something that tastes semi-sweet but it somewhat healthy can help with this. For me it's peanut butter. When I get a craving like that I eat one serving (2 tablespoons) and it really helps me with the desire for junk.

I've found that finding something that tastes semi-sweet but it somewhat healthy can help with this. For me it's peanut butter. When I get a craving like that I eat one serving (2 tablespoons) and it really helps me with the desire for junk.

I have an insatiable sweet tooth, and I found almond butter with an apple to be a great dessert alternative. I made some sugar free pudding last night with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, so if it set up (I am a little nervous it won't set up with the almond milk) than that will be a great dessert alternative. I will give it a try tonight to find out.

It feels good when people recognize the weight loss... Really really good

Very interesting Thread! Ill have to do some reading!

It feels good when people recognize the weight loss... Really really good
You're damn right it does. Keep up the good work, sir.

Class was torture today! We all said it was by far the hardest class we have ever taken.

It's super hard to explain, but basically we all had a partner and one partner would follow an 8 block weight room routine, followed by a .15 mile all out sprint with increasing inclines, and the other partner would row until the weight room/treadmill person completed their round.

So basically we had 8 weight room exercises and for the first round you just did the 1st exercise and an all out .15 mile run at a 1% incline, once completed you switched with your partner on the rower. Once that partner finished their weight room routine you go back to the weight room, and they go back to the rower. Then you do exercise #1 again and then add exercise #2, once done you go to the treadmill for a .15 mile sprint at a 2% incline, then switch. And you kept doing this until you completed all 8 exercises and reach an 8% incline on your sprint.

It was the most exhausting class I have ever done, there was never a down time, never a true recovery moment, your time on the rower was your recovery. I think as a team we rowed something like 8K meters, it was brutal!

The exercises were exhausting too, it was 20 step-ups, 20 push-ups, 20 mountain climbers, 20 squat jump, 20 rows, 20 crunches, 20 lunges and 20 hamstring curls using an ab dolly.

Back