Higher priced balls = better results?

Sordfish

Reaction score
Handicap
8-ish
Was just reading through the latest issue of Golf Digest, specifically the 2016 Hot List for Golf Balls. In the paragraphs leading up to the Hot List, GD says "balls in our most expensive category (Over $35) receive our highest recommendation". Basically they say that balls with more technology and engineering behind them are going to cost more, which is understandable.

While I will admit there is a huge difference in regards to feel, spin, etc..in playing a Pro V1 versus a Pinnacle Gold, my question to fellow THP'ers, do you believe that higher priced balls help you to perform better than lower priced balls?

For reference, the Hot List has three price categories:
Over $35
$26 to $35
Under $26.

Higher priced balls = better results?

I would submit that a ball with more technology/higher price would surely benefit a professional player who could take full advantage of said technology. On the flip side your average weekend player, myself included simply does not have the skill or knowledge to take full advantage of the performance of said ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would submit that a ball with more technology/higher price would surely benefit a professional player who could take full advantage of said technology. On the flip side your average weekend player, myself included simply does not have the skill or knowledge to take full advantage of the performance of said ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would disagree. Forgiveness, distance and added spin around the greens seem like they would be helpful to players of all skill levels.

I think that better players are able to take more advantage of the technology in premium balls. That being said, I prefer a premium ball because I like the feel and the spin they offer me. I do believe I could be the same handicap I am now with a slightly less expensive ball. Say for example a Bridgestone E5 or E6 vs a B330S, but it just becomes a matter of preference in feel and some performance I've come to expect I guess.

Personally, I do not equate cost to being a better ball...case in point I used to play only ProV1X cause I thought that was the best ball for me...

Now I typically play Chrome Soft or Bridgestone e6 - both of which are cheaper than ProV1 and I have become more consistent and play better overall....

The ball makes a difference and generally the good ones are more expensive. If you are using a total garbage ball like a wilson xl 9000 or something the difference is massive. Someone bought me those once. A 9 iron went about 8 - 10 feet past its pitch mark on the green and a B330-RX spun back 1 foot on shots struck just about the same.

For me it's just the better feel of the ProV that I like! During the winter I play the NXT tour for the extra distance and the greens are slower so I get a better roll with it during the cold. I tend to switch between the ProV1 and 1X depending on the conditions i.e. wind or how firm the fairways are. I really don't see a lot of difference in the bite on the greens between the two. I am sure that there are some other balls that I would like, just haven't found one on the course to try out (LOL).

Back some years ago Titleist would send me balls to review and report back. They had no model name on them, just the logo and a number. I remember some were very good others felt like rocks. They requested that you play nine with one and then the other on the back nine. I saw a good difference in scoring between the two, but had no ideal of the cost. The softer balls I always felt better and scored better with. At the time I thinks my GHIN was around 12, so yes I think most would benefit from a better ball, just not sure the need the top of the line.

I have played just about every brand, model, cost, and even color ball on the market. For me it all comes down to feel. Chromesoft and Srixon Z/Q feel the best so that is what I play. Even though I have had amazing results and rounds on ProV1 or E6s, it all comes down to comfort and feel for me.

I like the new chrome soft I play, but I also play Q-Star and Srixon soft feel. Yes I don't think I get a bit better results with the chrome soft, but the soft feels are much cheaper.

The problem with the hot list is every ball on there had between 4-5 stars in every category except demand, which is a stupid category to begin with.

Will a golfer automatically play better with a more expensive ball? No I don't believe that. I am of the mind that if you want to play YOUR best golf, then play the same ball consistently. Get used to how your ball will react so you aren't trying to figure out if something will check up or release.

I understand that more expensive balls usually have higher priced materials and most likely more technology in them, but I am sure some guys score really well with a Top Flite and other guys (like myself) can throw up a 99 with a tour ball.

I will only play balls with a urethane cover the performance is just so much better around the greens. I have hit everything from Project a to Pro V1X and like them all. I typically game PRO V1 after Christmas because I get them from my kids every year, but once those are gone I am good with the Bridgestone B330 RX or Chromesoft balls the rest of the year to save a few dollars over the PRO V1. The new TM TP balls are very good as well played a couple rounds with sleeve of those and they are every bit as good as the PRO V1's in my opinion.

Actually I play Top Flite D2+ Feel which are pretty cheap and play well enough for me.

I prefer them to the Gamer V2. And... I have a bunch of boxes (9/10 dzn) of the old McLady from way back before everyone was making a soft ball.

John

If the ball doesn't fit your swing I don't think price matters. I think too cheap will bring diminishing returns though.

I'm sure there is a benefit to some higher priced balls. For me personally, I see no difference really in anything related to a consistent benefit of a higher priced ball. But that's about where my game has been lately.

I'm cheap therefore buy balls that are on sale. Usually, last years premium model when a new one comes out. I gravitate twards Srixon and Bridgestone but grabbed a couple doz. Wilson Duo U's on sale and they are a very good ball. I flush an iron shot probably 1 out of 3 times so buying the latest and greatest isn't that big of a deal performance wise. Referencing what the the poster said above, the "splash factor" is the same for me no matter what ball I play and it's fun to try different brands.

I would disagree. Forgiveness, distance and added spin around the greens seem like they would be helpful to players of all skill levels.

I have to agree. I'm not a great player but use a premium ball.

I would say it depends on the style of golf you play. Not everyone hits the ball high and needs the spin the more expensive balls provide. There are certainly some shots where it would have a negative effect not having the spin but there are also shots where it is an advantage not having the spin. As I say, just depends on your style!

For the original question, my answer is not really. You can have the best of the best equipment wise but unless you know how to use it it won't help you. I think there is a lot to be said for being fit to a ball that fits your swing and style of golf. i have never had a fitting, I have just tried many different golf balls and found one I like and can anticipate the results of. I don't think the price has much if anything to do with it. Could be wrong but just my thoughts and opinions.

I had my best and worst round with ProV1x balls.....you do the math lol

I think the ball that is best fit for you gives you the best results. If it's a $1.75 Q star, $3 Chrome Soft, or $4 ProV1...I will pay what makes me the best player.

does your game ever change depending on your ball? or do you strictly stick with the same one round after round?

i think it does, particularly around the greens and off the driver. but i've never actually done a ball fitting so i don't know for sure.

For the original question, my answer is not really. You can have the best of the best equipment wise but unless you know how to use it it won't help you. I think there is a lot to be said for being fit to a ball that fits your swing and style of golf. i have never had a fitting, I have just tried many different golf balls and found one I like and can anticipate the results of. I don't think the price has much if anything to do with it. Could be wrong but just my thoughts and opinions.

I agree with knowing how to use it comment. For us amateurs, of course feel is going to be probably the most important factor when choosing a ball. But I think having a fundamentally sound swing also plays a huge factor in ball performance. I didn't like how Golf Digest was hinting that if you use more expensive balls they will help you play better. To me, it comes down to whatever you're most comfortable with that will help you play your best.

Back