Adjustable Irons - When does it Happen?

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Now that the utility iron is seeing some adapter inclusion, it makes me wonder just how far away we are from full irons being released with adapters? Does it excite you, or do you think it's pointless?

I see it as a huge advantage for people who are seeking the perfect shaft, and those who may want to tweak their irons a bit depending on the day (windy, drop loft etc), or even for people who are having trouble with their gapping.

Full adjustable shaft technology in irons will be interesting. It will be cool to see who can innovate in the areas of saving weight in the hosel with adaptors

Not considering costs, I would probably rather have the ability to change the shafts on my irons than on my woods. I just feel like I would simply want to tinker more if I had a stable of iron shafts to choose from.

I was actually thinking the same thing a few days ago. Would make it so easy to test out a bunch of shaft combinations and dial it in, or would make it so easy to over think and tinker till you are lost. Wouldn't mind having the option though.

I've been wondering this for a while. You have to think it's not far off. I know I would love to have the ability to tweak lofts for gapping.

Now that the utility iron is seeing some adapter inclusion, it makes me wonder just how far away we are from full irons being released with adapters? Does it excite you, or do you think it's pointless?

I see it as a huge advantage for people who are seeking the perfect shaft, and those who may want to tweak their irons a bit depending on the day (windy, drop loft etc), or even for people who are having trouble with their gapping.

What would be the benefit of that? 9 times out of 10 I will slice with my driver. Having the ability to adjust my driver to compensate for my poor swing is a major benefit. My iron shots may be off line of my target, but I'm not usually hitting my 5 iron into the next fairway. Maybe I am too narrow minded to see the benefit.

What would be the benefit of that? 9 times out of 10 I will slice with my driver. Having the ability to adjust my driver to compensate for my poor swing is a major benefit. My iron shots may be off line of my target, but I'm not usually hitting my 5 iron into the next fairway. Maybe I am too narrow minded to see the benefit.

What if you could change the lie angle to be flat or upright depending on how your swing plane is showing on the divot, which would improve your quality of strike?
What if you wanted to try another shaft but you have graphite shafts and no puller? Now you can test the two side by side rather than during different sessions.

I can't really speak to sweeping turns being accommodated by an adapter, but I don't think that's specific to irons.

i really don't see the benefit. then again i probably said the same thing when adjustable drivers first came out too and now not being able to adjust is a concern for me. so time will tell.

I like the stability a bonded shaft provides. The ability to custom fit is a good benefit. I don't believe that fully adjustable irons on the course would provide me much benefit. I am going to select the best shaft for me in the fitting process and use that going forward. I prefer a bonded shaft in a driver as well but those aren't available to most of the general public anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I really don't know. Of course I'm of the belief that we don't need all this adjustability with drivers and fw's to be honest. Yeah it's nice, but honestly, after you get your driver and you get it set how often do people change it? Get fit, get the configuration that works best and leave it. I don't know, I know it's never going away now, but I just don't know how much of it is needed at times.

There used to be an add in the back of the golf magazines for the 13-in-1 club. It has some kind of dial to adjust the loft for every club.

I think this is a newer version of what I used to see ads for as a kid.
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81021

81021_1000x1000.jpg

I like the stability a bonded shaft provides. The ability to custom fit is a good benefit. I don't believe that fully adjustable irons on the course would provide me much benefit. I am going to select the best shaft for me in the fitting process and use that going forward. I prefer a bonded shaft in a driver as well but those aren't available to most of the general public anymore.

I don't think this is true, there are several bonded options out there.

Different story for a different thread though.

I'm not sure they'd be durable enough to last the longer life cycle of an iron. I'm sure now that Cobra has introduced it into their utility that it will become a lot more common. If it works I think it will be an awesome, innovative feature with a ton of upside.

I am not sure this can be cost effective for an entire iron set? At least for some time.

I like adjustability, so sure it would be fun and potentially useful. I do however have a little worry about more adjustable clubs on the course. Yes, I don't mind a little slower play, but I have seen enough players make driver adjustments while playing that I can imagine a whole world of adjustment-slowed golf.

Man I really don't know. Of course I'm of the belief that we don't need all this adjustability with drivers and fw's to be honest. Yeah it's nice, but honestly, after you get your driver and you get it set how often do people change it? Get fit, get the configuration that works best and leave it. I don't know, I know it's never going away now, but I just don't know how much of it is needed at times.

This is kind of where I'm at too, at least for me. Don't get me wrong--I don't mind having the adjustability on the front end and I do like being able to pull out a shaft from one driver and stick it in another. But as far as actually adjusting the settings, I almost always find the one that works for me and just leave it there. I can't really see myself tinkering with loft/lie in irons, and I don't think I'd be nearly as inclined to pull a shaft from one iron and put it another, etc. But who knows. And that said, I can definitely see how others would really like it.

I juts don't really see a draw to adjustable irons. Yes as many I love to tinker but I don't think I'd want to be playing that much with my irons. Just a personal opinion.

I juts don't really see a draw to adjustable irons. Yes as many I love to tinker but I don't think I'd want to be playing that much with my irons. Just a personal opinion.

I agree.

I like the idea but the kind of adjustments needed are usually more in depth and require a more experienced fitter/player/tinkerer which is why fitters have irons with interchangeable shafts and general consumers don't really want the added cost with a feature they will unlikely use or further confuses them.

I think it would be awesome. Especially the wedge aspects.
For example, with all the different grinds out there, it would be pretty sweet to buy one shaft and have 2 or 3 options for the sand wedge.

If you know its going to be soggy at your home course, you might plug a 54* high bounce option in.
Playing with some THPers the next week in Texas or AZ the next week? Pack the 56* lower bounce head with some heel relief.

I don't think its that far away. Sure I would try them but I dont think I could buy them. Would be cool to see the feedback though

I don't see it as an option. I think most amateurs don't tinker and doubt they would be drawn to an adjustable iron. Not sure what the cost would be but it may reach a point that many woukd shy away from

I honestly hope that doesn't happen. Get fit for your irons and leave them alone!!! I got fit for an adjustable driver but I still end up messing around with the settings, if its there you use it so for irons I think they are best left alone.

Not sure how practical it would be but for me personally I think it would just be confusing.

Last edited:
I'm totally a set it and forget it guy, and until you mentioned swapping out shafts for testing/tinkering, I saw no reason for me to ever want adjustable irons. And even though I was fit for my current shafts, I can't get the thought out of my head that there might be something better for me out there. So maybe just an adjustable 7 iron....?

I don't think we will see much in irons as far as hosel adjustments and I don't think it's needed personally. I do however think we will see some moveable weights introduced in irons which will help with not only placing weight where you want it but also help people swingweight clubs easier with lighter shafts.

Maybe sooner than we think. Interesting concept

Back