Air Force One AFX Pro Irons - THP Preview

a set with what appears to be some pretty good forgiveness.

Interesting. I would go the complete other direction based on what Jman has said in the thread and the description in the first post.

Whoa. So they are really a compact package? Interesting move by the company and excited to hear your thoughts.

They really are, the 3i/4i are longer heel to toe than the rest of the set as well as wider in the sole, but the 5-PW really surprised me. I'll get some shots next to my CF16's today on course, but the topline is shockingly thin for a CB design. They're definitely much more CB than I thought design wise, its just a simple undercut cavity.

Interesting. I would go the complete other direction based on what Jman has said in the thread and the description in the first post.

Yeah, I'm not banking on seeing a ton of lateral forgiveness in these to be honest, maybe I'll be shocked, but I think they're going to be about as straight forward in that regard as they look. Its interesting, not at all what I expected when I saw the images on the web, not at all.

Nice price point for someone looking for a set with what appears to be some pretty good forgiveness. But I'm not fan of the look at all.

They're definitely a bit....industrial? But for the goal of hitting the price point they have, I get that totally. They are SIMPLE, but in hand its better than you think, its just a straight forward single color badging.

Forgiveness, I'm not expecting a ton, I hope I'm wrong, but outside of the 3i/4i, I just don't see the tech in the design that is really going to afford any ample amount, if that makes sense?

Very cool stuff. I think its a good idea too. You are hitting a price point for a players iron that has a different look. While I still wonder if people will grab them to try, with a solid demo day presence and getting in the right hands for feedback, they could have a moving set here.

Very cool stuff. I think its a good idea too. You are hitting a price point for a players iron that has a different look. While I still wonder if people will grab them to try, with a solid demo day presence and getting in the right hands for feedback, they could have a moving set here.

Agreed. I think its definitely got an appeal to those crowds who are big on component built sets to save $$, but much like those, the Q will be where do you find them?

They really are, the 3i/4i are longer heel to toe than the rest of the set as well as wider in the sole, but the 5-PW really surprised me. I'll get some shots next to my CF16's today on course, but the topline is shockingly thin for a CB design. They're definitely much more CB than I thought design wise, its just a simple undercut cavity.

Yeah, I'm not banking on seeing a ton of lateral forgiveness in these to be honest, maybe I'll be shocked, but I think they're going to be about as straight forward in that regard as they look. Its interesting, not at all what I expected when I saw the images on the web, not at all.

They're definitely a bit....industrial? But for the goal of hitting the price point they have, I get that totally. They are SIMPLE, but in hand its better than you think, its just a straight forward single color badging.

Forgiveness, I'm not expecting a ton, I hope I'm wrong, but outside of the 3i/4i, I just don't see the tech in the design that is really going to afford any ample amount, if that makes sense?

My bad, I didn't fully read JMan's preview post after seeing the picture. I just assumed based on my first look that they were more GI versus palyers CB's. I should have known better as I did read the pro portion of the name.

I guilty of not reading the entire thread after seeing the looks didn't appeal to me. But Jmans' thought above on the price point for a players iron is a good one, and there are some out there that don't mind a minimalist look and appreciate the lower pricing. So It's probably as simple as I don't fit the target market from either an ability or looks standpoint

Definitely a different look to the irons, not in a bad way though.

So, dumb question, can the clubs lose the nitrogen?

Definitely a different look to the irons, not in a bad way though.

So, dumb question, can the clubs lose the nitrogen?

No such thing as a dumb question!

Not that I'm aware of, unless the plug were to come out or the face to crack, to my knowledge.

What's the point of the nitrogen? Has anyone else done this before? Does it work?

What's the point of the nitrogen? Has anyone else done this before? Does it work?

Air Force One (starting with when they were joined with PowerBilt) has done it for some time. They're statement is that it allows a thinner face without the structural support because the Nitrogen comes in at 150 PSI (IIRC).

Actually the irons look better than what I would have expected. Ultimately the question is, can they perform?

At that $399 price point, I would play the heck out of those as a first time set of irons

I understand the concept of the compressed gas to support the face, but I wonder why Nitrogen?
Is it the cheapest somewhat inert gas?

I understand the concept of the compressed gas to support the face, but I wonder why Nitrogen?
Is it the cheapest somewhat inert gas?

Safe. Cheap. Effective.

These actually seem pretty cool, I wasn't expecting to think of them as anything other than gimmicky. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

So, I've now got 2 rounds and some range work in on these.

Looks wise, they're simple, particularly from the back. All of my kids commented on how plain they are but were also surprised by the profile at address. For the price point they are trying to hit it makes sense, but they are definitely more plain than we see nowadays. Also, the satin looks good but the sole is showing some definite brushing from the first swings. No different than most satin chrome irons, just faster than anticipated. I'll grab a pic today.

Sound/Feel....firm is a good word. The sound at impact is quick and sharp, with the the feedback to the hands if very similar. You still feel like you compress the ball when you get down through one, but its not the same as the irons I have been playing/testing the last year or so there. Much more W/S M3 in that regard, without as much click.

Ball flight is as I expected, its high, working to a 30+ yard apex on each club for me, control or feeling of control isnt an issue and they respond to what you want them to do. The 3i/4i are strange to wrap the head around as they do get up and go, I'm also seeing a definite gap between them and the 5i of about 15-17 yards right now. Kind of curious and I want to get out some more to make sure my data there is correct.

Now, on ball speeds, they are an undercut CB iron and on center strikes generate the speeds one would expect of any iron on a well struck shot. I'm currently playing them off of a 163 yard 8i as opposed to my gamers at 170, so its right where I figured they would be given they're straightforward in their overall tech. On misses though, here is where the real differences come out. With the profile and design you KNOW when you miss vial the flight and the sound/feel, the toe is the best miss but overall theres a pretty solid dropoff on the 5-PW here on any miss range, I want it to be clear I'm not talking a blade type dropoff, but more than we see out of a lot of irons in this profile on the market right now. That said, I've had no issues playing with them and seen good consistency so long as there isn't a drastic miss. The 3-4 though, much better forgiveness on the misses, the hollow-body helps, how much the nitrogen inside is doing I can't tell you, but I can say that the numbers and performance are better. When I hit a 4i to a 32y peak, its doing something right.

More soon.

So this is kind of a left field/dumb question, but if you were to reshaft the 3/4i, would you have to be any more cautious of the heat used to loosen the epoxy due to the nitrogen in them?

So, I've now got 2 rounds and some range work in on these.

Looks wise, they're simple, particularly from the back. All of my kids commented on how plain they are but were also surprised by the profile at address. For the price point they are trying to hit it makes sense, but they are definitely more plain than we see nowadays. Also, the satin looks good but the sole is showing some definite brushing from the first swings. No different than most satin chrome irons, just faster than anticipated. I'll grab a pic today.

Sound/Feel....firm is a good word. The sound at impact is quick and sharp, with the the feedback to the hands if very similar. You still feel like you compress the ball when you get down through one, but its not the same as the irons I have been playing/testing the last year or so there. Much more W/S M3 in that regard, without as much click.

Ball flight is as I expected, its high, working to a 30+ yard apex on each club for me, control or feeling of control isnt an issue and they respond to what you want them to do. The 3i/4i are strange to wrap the head around as they do get up and go, I'm also seeing a definite gap between them and the 5i of about 15-17 yards right now. Kind of curious and I want to get out some more to make sure my data there is correct.

Now, on ball speeds, they are an undercut CB iron and on center strikes generate the speeds one would expect of any iron on a well struck shot. I'm currently playing them off of a 163 yard 8i as opposed to my gamers at 170, so its right where I figured they would be given they're straightforward in their overall tech. On misses though, here is where the real differences come out. With the profile and design you KNOW when you miss vial the flight and the sound/feel, the toe is the best miss but overall theres a pretty solid dropoff on the 5-PW here on any miss range, I want it to be clear I'm not talking a blade type dropoff, but more than we see out of a lot of irons in this profile on the market right now. That said, I've had no issues playing with them and seen good consistency so long as there isn't a drastic miss. The 3-4 though, much better forgiveness on the misses, the hollow-body helps, how much the nitrogen inside is doing I can't tell you, but I can say that the numbers and performance are better. When I hit a 4i to a 32y peak, its doing something right.

More soon.

Great read and take Jman! Very good input with your numbers on a comparison level, love it!

So this is kind of a left field/dumb question, but if you were to reshaft the 3/4i, would you have to be any more cautious of the heat used to loosen the epoxy due to the nitrogen in them?

No, the bottom bore of the hosel is solid so there is no way for the gas to escape that way. Plus, with steel shafts it doesn't take much heat at all, most people/shops use a heat gun as opposed to a torch anyways. No need for concern there, IMO.

More time with these today with some deep data work.

Something has been off to me from the start though as they just felt really, short, to me in the scoring irons. It only caught my mind because even though I play 1/2 over standard no review set has ever ever ever felt short to me. I checked the specs again and blew it off as they're the same as stock cf16 but tonight compared them to my gamers and another stock set I have.

Well, theyre 1/2" shorter than the stock set and a full inch shorter than my gamers. Crazy.

Either way, data was gathered and I'll have some more thoughts tomorrow.

It appears that AFO is marketing these irons as more of an affordable players CB than a distance iron, but it's good to see that they don't lag too far behind your gamers.

How has your accuracy been in the few rounds you've had with them?

It appears that AFO is marketing these irons as more of an affordable players CB than a distance iron, but it's good to see that they don't lag too far behind your gamers.

How has your accuracy been in the few rounds you've had with them?

Definitely not a distance iron, at least in the 5-PW imo, they're about a club shorter for me, but the length might play a role there now that I know there's a significant difference for me.

Its been pretty fair. As I mentioned earlier misses see dropoffs and flight effects, but its pretty solid on decently struck shots.

Not a fan of the badging but wow at that price who cares! Interested to hear your thoughts in them.

Last edited:
So, more thoughts...

The length thing is still confusing to me as the specs put them 1/2" longer than they are, but I'll adjust.

Hit some really nice shots with them the last couple of days, but the toe-miss I know so well is definitely more penal than with many others I have tested in the last couple of years. Not only a pretty solid dropoff ball speed wise but also a little more gear effect (toe draw in this case).

The feel will be interesting to get other opinions on, they're very firm at impact for lack of a better term. Not clicky, but still a very sharp and solid sensation, misses low only accentuate this, you definitely audibly get a different tone there (which honestly you SHOULD get more feedback the more the profile of the iron changes).

Speaking of the profile though, I want to get into that more. Sole width is on par with my CF16, as is the blade length. But in terms of topline they are much closer to the AP2, a very sharp and small topline. Its a really unique look overall that gives you a feeling of demand and leeway at the same time.

They're interesting, particularly at this price point.

Back