Golf Lessons Thread

I am beyond excited to play this season. I never thought after picking up the game 5 years ago, i would look like a golfer but it has happened. My instructor is amazing. Looking back on the process we continued to build each season and now it all make sense. I only had 3 lessons with him this season but my swing looks great and the ball flying straight.

After not being able to trust my golf swing for 3 weekends in a row I reached out to a new instructor (to me) at my favorite course. Was supposed to have our first lesson tomorrow but he had to reschedule to Sunday.

Hopefully he can get me back on track so I can back to playing decent golf.

A new instructor for me on Tuesday. Excited, as I'm hoping he pushes me over this hump and I start scoring better. First lesson is simply going to be a "Get to know me and my swing/Let me see how your teaching style meshes with my expectations" thirty minute job (per my request). We'll see how it goes.

My lesson can't come soon enough. I think I'm good on driving at the moment (though I'd love to gain a bit more distance), and putting is alright as well. I can use some work on short game, but I may rely on my prior lesson notes from last year and work that way for now ... so I'm going to go to him and ask him to spend time with me on iron/hybrid striking. I either top it, or hit way way behind the ball. Not sure where my swing is breaking down (am I swaying again?) so I'm going to focus on that. I need to be able to capitalize on my good drives with a great second shot, and right now I'm not doing that and it's showing in my scores.

Starting lessons with my pro for the first time in over a decade. Having my swing broken down is much needed. Every session is videotaped along with trackman data to reflect on so I'm hoping to see some progress in my consistency in these coming months.

This may seem super simple, but during my last lesson/fitting, they noticed I was addressing the ball quite a bit out to the toe on all clubs Driver through wedge. And I hadn't really noticed, as I would address a ball he would move the club so that it was actually centered from where I had addressed, and 9 times out of 10 I was way more out to the toe, I really focused on it with my driver yesterday and I was amazed and the difference, I still need to work on it a bit more, which is tough with my home course range closed, but I can't wait for my next round to keep working on it.

Nothing like seeing immediate improvements after your 1st lesson. He really wanted to get me feeling the adjustments so he didn't let me hit one golf ball at more than 1/3 swing speed. He even had me throwing a football a couple times to bring some familiarity into the changes he was trying to make. Went to the range on my own today and was hitting some absolutely hammered 7i shots on demand.

Really looking forward to my next lesson in a week.

Had the second lesson with my pro on Friday morning and he was very happy with how things are going. After previously starting my downswing with my arms, I am now starting it with my hips, the swing is predominantly coming from the inside rather than the OTT it was previously and I am hitting up on the ball a lot more as well

I am guessing it is something to do with the changes I am making but I have gained around 2-3mph in swing speed, but even bigger than that, I have gained an additional 25yd carry from what I was seeing in the first lesson

There are a couple of little things that still need to be ironed out with my posture, but by improving my swing path and delivery in the manner that I have, I have already made some improvements to those areas as well so it is all very encouraging

Distance is up, ball flight is the most consistent it has ever been and being able to rely on the ball flight is giving me so much more confidence

I went to the range on Sunday morning for an hour and was hitting the ball so well that I actually dropped the loft on my GBB from +1/N to S/N
Ideally I will be looking to move the adjustable weight back towards a neutral setting in the longer term, but I am very happy with how things are progressing

Wish I had done this years ago.....

After struggling for a while with my swing I finally bit the bullet and sought help. 30 minute lessons for $50 a pop, but my guy does a package of 6 for $250 (basically 5th one free) but he also gave me another one for free. So a great deal in my opinion since I will end up getting 7 lessons for the price of 5.

Anyway, first lesson was rough as he said my set up was off (standing way to far away from the ball) my grip was too weak and my weight shift was pretty weak.

Worked/working on those issues and have started to see serious progress. Each subsequent lesson (just had my 4th with him) has been good. Some of it has been some new drills to help me from regressing. By the end of the lesson last night I was smoking the ball. Solid grip, felt good over the ball... Just need to keep working on what I am learning.

If you are struggling I would recommend seeing a professional. I have said it before in other thread, but I chased a fix on my own for a while and I think made the road much longer to get back to a good swing than if I would have just gotten it looked at by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Anyone have tips on how to find the better professionals in your area? Golf Digest has a list, but they seem to be peer rankings rather than those of customers.

Call some pro-shops and ask them for suggestions.

My first lesson in 24 years is this Thursday. I'm genuinely excited to see how things change over time.

I had my first lesson ever yesterday. Focusing on short game (chipping/pitching). Had good results and with some practising it will be even better

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I’m currently seeking a new instructor, it’s time as I walk away from coaching responsibilities to focus on my own game for a while and follow through on that promise I made my #1 bag this summer. Funny when others believe in you more than you do and have more faith in your game potential than you do, and I don’t exactly lack faith haha

Bringing this one back from the dead.

I’m currently seeking a new instructor, it’s time as I walk away from coaching responsibilities to focus on my own game for a while and follow through on that promise I made my #1 bag this summer. Funny when others believe in you more than you do and have more faith in your game potential than you do, and I don’t exactly lack faith haha

Well there’s a member on here offering one of our main members swing tips when he already drives the ball 300+ yards. Maybe start there.

Had my first lesson of the year yesterday. I've been hooking shots alot lately. Worked on weakening my lead hand grip postion and adding some more lead wrist flexion throughout the swing. Straightened me right out! Definitely will take awhile to groove that weaker grip though...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Well there’s a member on here offering one of our main members swing tips when he already drives the ball 300+ yards. Maybe start there.

Hahaha, I’ll pass on the ole internet lessons

I've been juggling with the idea of using GolfTec for a few years now, and finally decided to bite the bullet a month ago, and had my Swing Evaluation on January 24th. Full disclosure: I'm very math and statistically-oriented, and being able to see all the numbers in combination with my swing positions was immediately appealing. With correction to my address (alignment, weight, rotation, and flattening of my swing plane) I went from a 95mph ball speed and 21° launch angle on my 7 iron to 112mph ball speed and 19° of loft. That was an immediate selling point for me.

Now, I'm working on eliminating my slide, bowing my lead wrist, proper sequencing of the forward swing, and reducing the length of my back swing to maintain consistency. I'm happy to report that I'm now averaging 115mph ball speed while "learning" the new swing, but am easily finding 120-123 when I'm loose and sequencing correctly.

My next lesson is on Friday, and I'll be heading directly to the course for my first round of actual golf since October. Hopes are high, but expectations are low.

Bishop

I didn't take a formal lesson today, but I ran into my instructor at the start of my chipping practice today. He came over and told me I was pulling the club way inside on the takeaway. I focused a lot on more of a straight back move to start the backswing, and saw a lot of good stuff. I have struggled with that inside move in my short game for a long time, and I think it's exacerbated by a closed setup. So I also focused on more of a neutral setup, stacking my shoulders and hips and knees over my feet, and again saw some good stuff. That probably explains why sometimes I feel so out of sync and completely lost one shot, then the very next shot can feel super crisp and effortless.

I’ve had a total of 6 so far! I received a gift card for 4 lessons this Christmas.

I am planning on scheduling more this year. Just a few small things I want to button up.

I've been working on take-away and a better follow through. I tend to get my right arm all contorted on my follow through as opposed to getting it straight at shoulder height. The takeaway work and better wrist angles are helping, but the new movement is causing me a little stress in my right shoulder so probably need a day off. My coach is a young guy, but is fully on board with the fact I'm trying to come up with a swing that will allow me to play golf into my 70's (54 now) without destroying my body. I've still got good distance (71/160+), but he feels my follow through is hindering my consistency. I'm still considering going to a Pelz school for wedges in the next month or so as well.

Got first lesson with a new coach later today, i'll let yall know! Goals going in are to 1) improve iron contact consistency and decrease left/right dispersion, 2) learn to work the ball a bit.

I have never taken any lessons. Though I have considered it lately, but then I think I have played for almost 30 years and never really had any lessons. Why start now? It is what it is. just deal with it.

Good thread to see pop up. I am continuing my lessons from last fall. Had one last week. It was rough. So much has changed and is changing. I likely bit off more than I can chew. Setup and grip change. Takeaway change. Position at top change. Transition change. Now I'm working on some timing and release issues. Most of my issues right now are due to my brain not wanting to let go of some flawed thinking. Darn brain. ?

I might use this as motivation and run out for an hour of swing grinding to see if I can actually make some of these changes work. Haha. Oh golf. You are tough nut to crack.

Glad to have found this thread! I've been sharing some of this in other threads.. I'm in two lessons so far this year. Local place had a winter special for discounted 8-lesson package that included range card so I jumped on it. I'm just getting back into the game after being off several years, and the first time around, never took lessons. This time, I decided to do it right. The first lesson was super fruitful, fixed a problem with my grip. Second lessons, talked a bit about lower body movement and weight shifting, creating torque, etc. Only caveat with the package is I have to use these up by end of February. Planning on taking one weekly. Also hoping to make the last 2 on chipping and putting. All in all, best decision ever. I can imagine even when I'm better, I'll continue to check in with a lesson every couple months to work on things, and tightening up bad habits, etc.

Back