Stribs

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
My wife and I started the fostering process a few weeks back. We've had a couple visits with our licensing agency (introductory meeting, pre-home inspection visit, etc.) and have been filling out and submitting documents every night it seems like. We've also attended a few Foster Parent College classes (5x three hour long in-person sessions, with hours of training videos in-between each meeting) and have been learning so much. Anyways, we're moving right along and are really excited to finish and get licensed. As of right now, our preferred age is 0-4 and are not specific on gender or ethnicity. We have no biological children of our own so this will be our first time parenting. We know the primary goal of fostering is reunification with the biological family, but we're also up for adopting if the rights get severed and if the situation is right for us.

Not really looking for anything in particular, but just wanted to get their thread started for others to share stories, experiences, or offer up advise on what to do, not to do, etc., if you're comfortable with sharing.

My wife and I started the fostering process a few weeks back. We've had a couple visits with our licensing agency (introductory meeting, pre-home inspection visit, etc.) and have been filling out and submitting documents every night it seems like. We've also attended a few Foster Parent College classes (5x three hour long in-person sessions, with hours of training videos in-between each meeting) and have been learning so much. Anyways, we're moving right along and are really excited to finish and get licensed. As of right now, our preferred age is 0-4 and are not specific on gender or ethnicity. We have no biological children of our own so this will be our first time parenting. We know the primary goal of fostering is reunification with the biological family, but we're also up for adopting if the rights get severed and if the situation is right for us.

Not really looking for anything in particular, but just wanted to get their thread started for others to share stories, experiences, or offer up advise on what to do, not to do, etc., if you're comfortable with sharing.

Good on you for stepping up and filling a vital role. So many of these situations are just heart breaking. Having a solid foundation for these kids to be in is very important. My nephew and his wife adopted 4 brothers that were in just a terrible situation. Before being taken away from the father, they were most recently living in a car. They didn't know what a normal home was. They are dealing with some of the behavioral issues in stride.

Nothing to share, but kudos to you and your wife for making a difference!

Good for you man!

My Daughter and Son in Law started this way years back.
Lo and behold since that time I have become a Grand Father to 7 of them.
Yes! They adopted 7 children and I love them all, just like they were my own.
They are a family in the truest sense and I can only admire the courage it took for my Daughter and Son in Law to take on such a responsibility and the love that is shown to them all is wonderful.

Thanks for allowing me to share my experience! Papi loves them all!!:blob:

That is truly an amazing thing thing to do. I don’t have any experience, strength or hope to offer but know good loving people will make a difference in some childrens’ lives. Much respect to you and your wife.

I have a few friends that foster and they find it challenging and rewarding. I've never considered it, but my wife and I want to adopt in the future. I think you will love it.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We have never officially fostered but we had a young lady from our church who got pregnant at 18 and lived with her grandmother. Mom is dead, dad was sexually abusive towards her and she had nowhere to go so we took her and the baby in for about 6 months. I think it was the first normal 6 months of her life. She is 24 and married now and doing well. It will be one of the most rewarding things ever to help change the trajectory of someone's life. It will definitely take a lot of patience and grace, but the payoff is amazing.

Back