Do You Know Your Driving Distance?

I do know my average driving distance based on arccos. Obviously it doesn't factor in roll but its pretty soft hear and I know I'm not getting much roll at the moment.

Only thing I'm sure of is that I don't hesitate to pull driver when carry is up to 250 yards out unless there is wind in my face. Honestly just guestimating my average, I would say it's in the 275-285 range.

Yep based on simulator numbers and what I actually see on the course. Average I'm in the 245-250 range but I can certainly pop it out there 270 but it's not the normal or average. For carry distances.

I've tried to keep a running mental total, doing subtraction with my GPS and the posted yardages, but I don't do a good job remembering.

This year I'm going to (at least start) using the game golf app to try and keep better track.

I visited 3 different simulators during the off season. I'm positive one of them was juiced, but judging from what I remember about last year and seeing verification from the non-juiced simulators around here I probably average 265 carry. This is assuming I'm not being an idiot and trying to swing out of my shoes (and mishitting the shot).

Great question!

If I can get in the fairway consistently, then maybe I can get an average. Seriously, I don't know my driving distance. Have never used Flightscope or launch monitor at a course. I would love to do this and at least get some idea what it is. I seriously think if I knew what my driving distance was I would be able to adjust my game and possibly know whether or not I'm playing with the correct driver.

Kind of. I know how far I hit in simulators, and from the few times I've been on a launch monitor, but it's like a fish story, every time I remember the number, it gets artificially higher and higher…

All I remember is your 348 yard one at Ravenwood. That's what I'd hang my hat on if I were you :)

When I'm not tinkering with my swing or driver, yes. I have a rangefinder but I don't use it for drives. I remember where my drives ended up on certain holes, and I Google Earth those fairways and there's a tool in Google Earth that measures distance. Of course, I try to factor out downhill rolls.

Honestly, I don't care about my driving distance as a number. What matters to me is my driving distance relative to my golf buddies, because this is the field I'm up against. A number is abstract, but if I'm longer or shorter than this friend or that, that gives me some frame of reference, because most of my rounds are with them.

In addition, I would also rather relate my driving distance to situations on the course, like finally carrying this fairway bunker, or driving to that part of the fairway.

Yes, 265 yards. I've had a rangefinder for 18 years and because of that I know how far my average carry is over the many bunkers on my home course. I often select a club off the tee to either carry a bunker or keep me short of one. Normal carry with a driver is 255 yards. Anything over that and I need an elevated tee, higher altitude conditions, or wind for a little help.

I certainly agree with you that people average less off the tee than they think, I believe Trackman in 2014 pegged the average male amateur distance off the tee at 214 yards. We all know some, but very few golfers average over 270 yards, which only makes sense since the PGA Tour average has hovered around 288 yards every year since 2003. If you've every played with a PGA Tour pro or even a good college level golfer you'd know how rare and impressive a 288 yard average is.

So the question I have, is do you know how far you drive the ball? And how did you come up with that number for the average?
Kinda sorta. I know what my previous driving average for the K15 was thanks to Game Golf (right around 210 yards). However I think I'm a bit longer with the Cobra F6 (coupled with a reworked driver swing) so the average has creeped up a bit. By how much, I don't really know. I need to fit my new woods with my Game Golf device and get an actual number put to my club strikes.

I'm curious...if you're honest with yourself and the monitor is correct, why would there be any difference outside of wind adjustments? Just pressure of the actual shot meaning more on course?

A few reasons. In my mind people are not honest with themselves about on course distance many this is not on purpose but just what they think they may have just hit based on yardage on the scorecard or hole sign and where they end up. #2 I think many swing differently on the range (both good and bad) or in front of a monitor. I can chase numbers all day but it does not always translate to a good playing driving distance.

It is a generalized statement but I think one that if you compare what people have said to when they get on a flightscope or the like it holds true.

Average carry is 250 - that comes from Trackman, Flightscope, and confirmed on course. I can get out to longer total distances on courses depending on condition, but I can also get the 200 yard snap hook (that's lucky if it's in play).

so what i gather so far is everyone drives the ball about 250 yds ....does everyone think that is accurate ?

I know my distances very well thanks to Arccos golf and it being confirmed with my GC2. If the fairways aren't rolling I'm going to be consistently between 265 and 280 yards off the tee if the wind is calm. If the fairways are rolling I will always be around 275 to 290 and then if the wind is too my back I can expect drives between 285 and 310 consistently.

What cracks me up is all the 300 yard drivers I play with and I'm always 20 to 30 yards past them, yet I know that I only drove the ball 270 yards or so.

So the question I have, is do you know how far you drive the ball? And how did you come up with that number for the average?

I know mine and I know because of the Skycaddie unit I had & now with my Laser Range Finder.

Thanks to GC2, I do have a really good idea how far I carry the ball. Total distance is effected by the type of course and conditions.

This. Just swap GC2 for Vector.

I started playing golf again after 20 years not playing. I knew I wasn't as long as I used to be, but I needed to know with some accuracy so I could make some decisions about which clubs to buy. I was pretty sure my heavy stiff shafted clubs would not do the trick in this old man's hands. So, I kept track of all my drives. I play alone a lot so I could step off most drives. My average, upwind, downwind, uphill, downhill worked out to just about 220 yards for total yards. I really had no idea about carry distance. That was about 40 yards shorter than 20 yrs. ago, but, truthfully, better than I expected.

Since I wanted to know carry distance, I used a simulator 8 times this winter. The first had me averaging close to 250 total. Sounded good, but I knew it wasn't close. I went to a different simulator and it had my average below 200. Again, not close to reality. The 3rd simulator averaged 221. BINGO! I used this simulator 6 times over the course of the winter. Since I used a high lofted driver 20 years ago for accuracy, I wanted to see if there was much difference in my 10.5 degree driver and a 14 degree driver. The 14 averaged 218 with around 205 carry yards with much better accuracy with the 10.5 averaging 221 with just about the same carry as the 14.

The 14 degree driver is what I'm gaming this year.

So, to answer the question, I know with some precision how far I hit my driver. I've checked both sim. and course and I'm at 215-220 average. Occasionally I get one out there 240 or so, but also, I hit my share of bad shots also. I know if I hit the ball square I get about 235. For me, at age 66, I'm very happy with that.

Later,

John

Is there a good android golf app that does a good job of tracking driving distance?

What cracks me up is all the 300 yard drivers I play with and I'm always 20 to 30 yards past them, yet I know that I only drove the ball 270 yards or so.

I play often with guys who claim 300 or near 300 off the tee. I average 265 plus or minus a few yards and for some reason they are shorter than me.

The best way I can figure it out is when I play on a soft course that doesn't have roll out. I have an idea of how far I carry it but that isn't a solid number you could find on Flightscope, etc.

I play often with guys who claim 300 or near 300 off the tee. I average 265 plus or minus a few yards and for some reason they are shorter than me.
In all my years of golf I've only played with 3 people that can average over 300 yards carry:
  1. Jon Rahm - the number one ranked amateur at the time http://www.golfdigest.com/story/jon...ed-mens-amateur-in-the-world-but-should-he-be
  2. Cory - a pro that just got his Canadian Tour card. I played with him down in Orlando last week.
  3. A random guy I play with at my course - He's 6'7", very athletic and plays the black tees and always outdrives me when I'm playing up on the blues. He's about a 2 handicap but while his drives are good enough to play on tour, the rest of his game is very good golfer average.

195 based on Trackman two weeks ago at UST.

I have a good idea of total distance which gives me a general idea of carry distance.

Getting Arccos has given me the total distance, and honestly it was a shot to the man zone to see how short of a knocker I really am.

As far as I can tell, based on in store sims and GPS app on course, carry I have no idea... but my total distance avg. between 220 and 280 (such consistentcy :D). Of course that depends on how many trees get in the way.

Skytrak says that in a dead calm wind at my current elevation (550') I should expect between 235 and 250y of carry distance.

I hit 100 balls with my driver on the range last week, and the ProTracer numbers averaged out to about 185. do I hit that on the course? Don't know. If I hit a solid drive, all I look at is the next shot/club.

Back