Interesting Apple Story

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting that Apple has basically gone from trendsetter to copycat over the last 5 years. Tim Cook is an accountant though so it's not surprising that they have basically amassed over $140 billion in liquid assets without investing in their own future through R&D.

Couple of weeks ago I saw Cramer before the market opened talk about how 5G is going to change the Handheld business and there be a less of a need to have powerful handsets.
I then proceeded to sell a third of my Apple position. The money had been made, time to move on. I might miss some on the way up however I won't lose anything on the way down if it goes there.

Oh Apple- I still love you but you’re slowly killing me with your elite-ness and bullying business practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting that Apple has basically gone from trendsetter to copycat over the last 5 years. Tim Cook is an accountant though so it's not surprising that they have basically amassed over $140 billion in liquid assets without investing in their own future through R&D.

I hear this a lot but I don't know if that's ever been the case - especially when we're talking about raw specs. Apple's MO, especially the modern Apple, has been to take what's out there and put polish on it. The original iPhone was 2G when 3G phones were starting to come out. The exception here I think would be the UI/UX category - this is where I think they lead. The Mac/Lisa with the graphical UI (though Xerox got there first), and the iPhone really set the stage for the slab phones we're all using now.

But generally technology doesn't make it into Apple products for a few generations, usually because of heat/battery life/etc. - living at the edge often comes with significant tradeoffs. In the case of 5G, if most of the country doesn't have it yet, why not let everyone else smooth over the bumps first?

They kind of remind me of Titleist in a lot of ways right now.

At the end of the day, Apple is doing what I need it to do just about perfectly, and I am on 'old' tech from them. Looking into the future isn't a huge concern for me, honestly. ...and I am far from a homer coming from Android, I just love the integration between Apple users.

Pretty interesting but I'm in the camp of do I even need 5G? 4G works just fine and I don't plan on upgrading until I'm forced to do so. I held off on being an Apple user for a long time and now that I have been one for about a year and a half I can't imagine going back to android. Apps tend to work better and the interaction between my work computer, my phone and ipad is seamless.

They kind of remind me of Titleist in a lot of ways right now.

At the end of the day, Apple is doing what I need it to do just about perfectly, and I am on 'old' tech from them. Looking into the future isn't a huge concern for me, honestly. ...and I am far from a homer coming from Android, I just love the integration between Apple users.

This is a really solid comparison.

Both of them control the entire stack, top to bottom (driver to ball). They both put out products on slower cycles, in order to put polish on the finished product. Both have incredibly strong (yet controlled) retail presences.

Neither of them will be the first to have the new hotness, but I think they're both unlikely to make giant mistakes too.

Pretty interesting but I'm in the camp of do I even need 5G? 4G works just fine and I don't plan on upgrading until I'm forced to do so. I held off on being an Apple user for a long time and now that I have been one for about a year and a half I can't imagine going back to android. Apps tend to work better and the interaction between my work computer, my phone and ipad is seamless.

I don't think anyone can imagine what they need till they see it. The first iPhone that came out I had and I remember so many people saying all they needed was a flip phone. Many of those same people got a very basic touch phone at first, but now use the very latest and greatest in technology once they get a taste of everything it can do.

5G isn’t even close to ready. Not like even a little. Sure you can get a 5g icon, but it’s really not ready for prime time.

I’m still not sure 5g is going to be a huge thing for your cell phone. Yeah, but it’s really more of an IOT thing, than a phone thing. At least that’s my understanding, and I may well be wrong.

As has been said, Apple has not really been a ‘first’ company, they’re much more of a ‘best’ company. Unless we’re talking about keyboards.

Back