Wedge Selection for Beginner/High-Handicapper?

Double Drops

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm getting back into golf after a long hiatus. I'm looking to purchase some wedges but I'm overwhelmed with the choices and different lofts. Things have changed a lot since I last golfed! The lowest I currently have is a PW. What lofts or wedges would a beginner/high-handicapper like myself need to stock my bag with?

I'm getting back into golf after a long hiatus. I'm looking to purchase some wedges but I'm overwhelmed with the choices and different lofts. Things have changed a lot since I last golfed! The lowest I currently have is a PW. What lofts or wedges would a beginner/high-handicapper like myself need to stock my bag with?

Cleveland CBX wedges - they are incredible. Do you know the loft on your PW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland CBX wedges - they are incredible. Do you know the loft on your PW?

Yes, it's 43.5. It's a TM M4 so it's stronger than most PW's I believe.

Yeah a little bit stronger - May want to look at a 48 52 56 setup to gap well? Those CBX are incredibly easy to use and still spin a ton!

Yeah a little bit stronger - May want to look at a 48 52 56 setup to gap well? Those CBX are incredibly easy to use and still spin a ton!

I totally agree with this. Mainly on the loft choice here.

Remember, bounce is your friend!

2nd the CBX family

I jumped right into RTX and it took a lot more learning to use them properly.

My SO jumped into CBX and she was hitting them well, right off the bat.

Suggestion, go to a golf store and test them out and find the easiest one to hit consistently without looking at the specs. Some wedges, even if they have the same specs are easier to hit than others. It's what you are comfortable with.

Suggestion, go to a golf store and test them out and find the easiest one to hit consistently without looking at the specs. Some wedges, even if they have the same specs are easier to hit than others. It's what you are comfortable with.

Agree. I have the Callaway MD4 wedges and love them. Hit them all and then decide.

If you are planning on full swinging the club, get the set wedge. You can get the TM M4 gap, sand, and lob from TM in the same specs as your irons. Most people full swing their gap wedges.

If you don't plan on full swinging them, you might be comfortable with going away from the set wedges. I don't think you gain anything by going with a cavity back wedge like the CBX and just read a study this morning where CB wedges were worse on dispersion than a bladed wedge for one group of testers, though not by much. So go hit some at a golf store on a monitor and see if one works better for your swing than others.

Bounce is not automatically "your friend" either. It depends on your swing, turf conditions, how you manipulate the club at address or through impact, etc. Again, testing will show you what works best. Unfortunately, there are very few options to test wedges on actual turf. So you are probably going to have to settle with in store testing.

As others have pointed out, I've never hit an easier wedge on full swings than the Cleveland CBX wedges. With a 44* PW, I gamed a 48* and 54* CBX and then a blade 60*.

CBX. Love mine and they’re very versatile. I’d go 48 52 56. The 56 will be plenty of loft and forgiveness for you out of the bunker.

I also put Cleveland CBX 54 and 58 in my bag; my Callaway set wedges are 43 and 48 that I just got today (my OS Irons were 44 and 49). I like them and feel they are easy to hit for full shots and partial shots and I see am seeing consistent distance. At some point, I may try to go with 52 and 56 because I am seeing a gap develop, but my set AW at 3/4 swing seems to be filling the gap adequately for now.

Back