Accuracy first, distance 2nd. Which GI irons? Which shaft flex?

JimmyOhio

Reaction score
Handicap
A little about me. I am 50 years old. I am a 14 handicap. I have a 93 swing speed. I have played golf for about 25 years. I play about 30 rounds per year. I am looking for more accuracy in my irons. I have been gaming TM Rocketbladez for the past 4 years. They have steel shafts in regular flex. They feel good and I get decent distance but I have always struggled to hit greens with them. I am a bit erratic. Keep in mind that this could totally be an erratic swing causing this issue, not the clubs, I am actually more accurate with my driver and hybrids than my irons. This seems odd to me. My driver and hybrids all have stiff graphite shafts. Should I consider making the move to stiff graphite in my irons? Also, what GI irons do y’all recommend? Looking forward to your insight.

If you like hybrids, have you considered going to an all hybrid type set?

I can't speak to what type of club would be best, but I have a thought concerning shaft flex for you. I myself have an inconsistent swing at time hence why I'm a mid to mid high handicap. But the correct shaft could help that some. Swing speed isn't the only determining factor in the correct shaft for you. How is your transition? While you may not generate a high swing speed, if your transition is more abrupt a stiffer shaft may produce more consistent results. You can swing it 150 mph and have little issue with regular flex if you are smooth as silk.

I can't speak to what type of club would be best, but I have a thought concerning shaft flex for you. I myself have an inconsistent swing at time hence why I'm a mid to mid high handicap. But the correct shaft could help that some. Swing speed isn't the only determining factor in the correct shaft for you. How is your transition? While you may not generate a high swing speed, if your transition is more abrupt a stiffer shaft may produce more consistent results. You can swing it 150 mph and have little issue with regular flex if you are smooth as silk.
I have a slow, smooth takeaway but my downswing is definitely “abrupt”, bordering on “violent”. This may be why I have much more control with my stiff shafted graphite driver and hybrids.

If you like hybrids, have you considered going to an all hybrid type set?

My dad is 77. He has an all hybrid set and I make fun of him mercilessly for it. I am not quite ready to admit defeat and lose my irons in 5-PW. I realize that I should not care about perception but I do. Some of my playing buddies have strong opinions about players that use nothing but hybrids. Maybe I will consider an all hybrid set in 20 years but not yet. Is that dumb?

My dad is 77. He has an all hybrid set and I make fun of him mercilessly for it. I am not quite ready to admit defeat and lose my irons in 5-PW. I realize that I should not care about perception but I do. Some of my playing buddies have strong opinions about players that use nothing but hybrids. Maybe I will consider an all hybrid set in 20 years but not yet. Is that dumb?

Is it dumb? Honestly, yes. But then again, people should play whatever they want.
Seen some exceptional golf by THPers including low single digit guys shooting under par with Cleveland Launcher HB.
We have a THP Event coming to your area and my gut says I see at least a golfer or two with some higher lofted hybrids.

I would go get fitted for your shaft. Both me and my dad got fitted this winter, me in my early 30’s and a mid/high handicap was fitted to a DG 105 stiff. My old man same handicap but 65 was fitted into a stiff DG 120 shaft 1” long. But both hit the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros the best for GI irons.

I have a much faster swing speed than him too but he was hitting well that day.

You might be surprised at what they fit you with.

all of his clubs are R flex. When we play together I let him use my driver and FW’s which are stiff heavy shafted and they are weapons in his hands compared to what’s in his bag. So it wasn’t surprising that he should be in a stiffer shaft. It’s just getting him to spend money.....

I think you might be a good candidate for the Cobra F9 irons and, maybe even one length. They are super forgiving, long and easy to launch. The value is great, too. If you can do a fitting, it would be optimal. If not, it would at least be a good idea to hit them (or any other iron you are considering).

As to shaft, it is a tough call, without seeing your swing. You likely fit a regular flex, particularly if you go steel. In graphite, it is so shaft dependent. At your swing speed, you likely could go with a Smacwrap in 80 grams and F3 stiffness. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Perfect candidate for a fitting. It is tough to make suggestions since there are so many variables - shaft length and lie angle should be considered along with shaft make, weight and flex. Plus there is no standard for "regular" or "stiff" - that varies from brand. The good news is there are a lot of great choices for heads and shafts.

Same irons I recommend for most people... Srixon Z585. They're so awesome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back