Adjustable Irons - When does it Happen?

As soon as they can figure out a hosel/cog/screw that won't increase the weight significantly I suppose.

I love the idea, in terms of being able to swap in shafts on a whim. But also think iron shaft is one of the things I don't fret over a ton, and fear there may be a lot of second guessing the shaft if the option to easily swap them out was easily available.

I guess if your OK with the concept of all your irons being the length then this isn't very far away at all!

I'm already having a hard time bringing myself to buy an adjustable driver.....not only because drivers are expensive and the one that I currently bag is working for me....but also because of all the adjustments you can make ie loft, draw biased, weighting etc....that I don't think I would like to use one because I want to use what works without having to adjust the club...I'd rather put the thought into my swing instead of how can I adjust my driver or irons (if it ever comes to that) to fix my swing...

Given how long irons tend to stay in bags, I think some adjustability would be a great thing in irons. Being able to alter the lie angle, for example, would be really good for someone who makes a change to their swing that changes their delivery. Fitting isn't just wrist to floor and height, which means what someone is fitted for can change, and irons that could adjust to that can be an asset to the consumer.

I would absolutely love the ability to swap iron shafts. I don't think I'd tinker with lie or loft, but the ability to drop in graphites or different weight shafts? Heck yeah.

Given how long irons tend to stay in bags, I think some adjustability would be a great thing in irons. Being able to alter the lie angle, for example, would be really good for someone who makes a change to their swing that changes their delivery. Fitting isn't just wrist to floor and height, which means what someone is fitted for can change, and irons that could adjust to that can be an asset to the consumer.

That is what I was thinking as well. I would also like to be able to try different shafts side by side, without having to have a fitting cart.

Yup. I got fitted, then got excited about my new clubs and worked on a different/better swing. I had to send my clubs back to get the lie adjusted.
My swing is always evolving, slight tweaks would be great, but I would think OEMs would prefer you buy a new set.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm sure they'd sell but personally, I have no desire to further complicate an already complicated game by screwing with every club in the bag every morning on the range.
I'd rather get fit and put in the work rather than to use a wrench to have a better game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What if you could change the lie angle to be flat or upright depending on how your swing plane is showing on the divot, which would improve your quality of strike?
What if you wanted to try another shaft but you have graphite shafts and no puller? Now you can test the two side by side rather than during different sessions.
I can see an adapter being useful for swapping out shafts, but what a racket. Figure on $20+ an adapter and then you figure up to seven or so irons in a bag with multiple shaft options? Gets pricey really quick.

I just don't see the point of an adjustable iron. I mean it works for hybrids and woods but for irons I wonder how long that screw will hold with all the torque at impact.

If they do develop it and it works then it would be nice but I think for now sticking with it for fitting carts is where it should stay.

Its an interesting idea, I like the idea for being able to swap shafts but the thought of adjusting loft/lie based on the day or your swing seems a little over the top for the iron. I can see it useful like on cobra's utility iron, but for a full set? Too much to deal with and more likely problems to arise.

While I think it would be really cool to be able to adjust your irons I don't know how much use I would get out of it. Even with adjustable drivers, once it is fit for me I very rarely deviate from that.

What if you could change the lie angle to be flat or upright depending on how your swing plane is showing on the divot, which would improve your quality of strike?
What if you wanted to try another shaft but you have graphite shafts and no puller? Now you can test the two side by side rather than during different sessions.

I can't really speak to sweeping turns being accommodated by an adapter, but I don't think that's specific to irons.

Right now, I know so little about most things golf related that I can't tell the first thing about my swing plane based off of a divot. I think adding the adjustability of irons would complicate things for golfers like me.

As for being able to test a shaft side by side with another, that would be great, but outside of being with a fitter, wouldn't it be just as easy to buy another X-22 (for example) with the shaft you want to try and play it then decide if you want to switch all the shafts versus buying the adaptor, a grip and a new shaft just to test? Unless the cost would be similar

Not sure how practical it would be but for me personally I think it would just be confusing.

Agreed.

Right now, I know so little about most things golf related that I can't tell the first thing about my swing plane based off of a divot. I think adding the adjustability of irons would complicate things for golfers like me.

A simple google search or topic posted on THP will provide you with all the knowledge you need about how to read your divots, especially if it's going to include altering the lie/loft of an iron for you, but i guess in the grand scheme of things, yes, it would technically provide additional confusion for those who prefer to go it alone.

As for being able to test a shaft side by side with another, that would be great, but outside of being with a fitter, wouldn't it be just as easy to buy another X-22 (for example) with the shaft you want to try and play it then decide if you want to switch all the shafts versus buying the adaptor, a grip and a new shaft just to test? Unless the cost would be similar

It absolutely would, but who wants to pay 100+ for an extra iron?

I don't see it as an option. I think most amateurs don't tinker and doubt they would be drawn to an adjustable iron. Not sure what the cost would be but it may reach a point that many woukd shy away from

It's interesting that it's considered not an option by many, despite the satisfaction that has been pretty much unanimous with adjustable drivers.

For those who think they wouldn't change them and don't see it as an option, did you feel the same way about the first adjustable drivers?

Back