Who’s Crazy Enough: Two Drivers

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
Perhaps this is a crazy idea... one shorter, one longer... control vs distance. Anyone gaming two drivers in their bag?

@JB has been gaming this setup for a while now.

Who’s Crazy Enough: Two Drivers

A few guys have been doing this for a while. @oitw seems to love the Thriver

Makes sense to me - for different conditions. I bag two lob wedges for same reason - different conditions call for different bounces. I don’t carry 4i or any hybrids so still have room legally- although I only play fo fun anyway.

Currently running this setup. Though direction is another portion of this. Short driver I can turn over easier.

I had a chance to hit JB's 2nd driver a couple years ago and it seemed like a solid option. Maximum forgiveness with a shaft length that should produce better accuracy is a pretty good combination.

I've gamed the Mini 1.5 in a 12.5* or my current Callaway 2Deep 12.5* for the last 6 or 7 years. I played today and had a typical round where I used my Epic SZ eight times, the rest were with the 2 wood and my 4 wood once. I missed zero fairways with those clubs.

The size of the 2Deep makes it forgiving off the tee, and it's easy for me to launch it off the fairways. I hit two par five greens today from 240+ yards with the 2Deep for easy two-putt birdies. I will have the TM Original One mini driver in my bag as soon as my club gets a demo and I can pick a shaft with the Trackman.

This is my 2nd year rolling with two drivers....

Currently running this setup. Though direction is another portion of this. Short driver I can turn over easier.

I may adjust the rogue to 43 and keep it simple... the F9 is happening, deciding between waiting for a bargain online vs plunking down for a new one.

The thing with the Obans is they add some coin to that number

If you have an open spot in your bag why not? I am thinking my 3w serves as a second driver. Plus if I ever learn to hit it off the deck it will be even more valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started playing a TM M3 at 44" as my second driver this last weekend. Used it on all drivable holes except for 2. Did so-so for the first time out. I think the weight threw me off a little as I had about 3 pop ups early in the round. Played a few extra holes to work on getting it dialed in and got one out around 265. Did not miss one fairway on the maiden voyage which was the primary reason for me experimenting with 2 drivers. Picked up a couple of new weights to gain about 15 grams back. Will be trying it out again this weekend.

10 years ago or so I used to carry 2 drivers: one draw biased, one fade biased. Worked ok for a summer for me, but not well enough to keep a 4th wedge out of the bag.

Yeah I use two drivers for a couple of years now, one lower lofted driver I usually play a fade with and then a high lofted spinny three wood replacement that hits a nice draw with. Lower lofted when I want to put a driver out there and the high spinny one for tighter holes that demand accuracy. I never really used a three wood much into par 5’s very rarely and not my favorite off the tee. I just picked up an 11.5* Original one mini driver going to take the experiment even further and see if it suits my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back