Custom is A Must for Great Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty interesting article about club fitting and specifically Club Champion. I would be interested to get THPers thoughts on it.

Written by Leonard Finkel

If you told the average golfer that one change would instantly have them hitting the ball farther, more accurately and even lower their scores, they would likely laugh at you. But it’s true! Incredible as it may sound, a comprehensive custom club fitting with personalized equipment is that one change.

A Golf Magazine study found that 90 percent of U.S. golfers might be playing with improperly fit clubs. Meaning nine out of ten golfers are missing out on extra yards and more accurate putts every time they tee off. I interviewed world-renowned instructors Hank Haney and David Leadbetter on the impact of club fitting and here’s what I learned.

“It never ceases to amaze me that golfers buy clubs off the shelf and assume they’re right for them,” said Leadbetter. “Whether you’re a great golfer or a casual one, getting a custom club fitting is one of the quickest ways to improve your game.” If you’re looking at buying a set of irons off the rack, you’ll get a standard, stock shaft that has a standard length and flex. This doesn’t change if you’re 5’ 4” tall or pushing seven feet. In most instances, clubs that are not custom fit are hurting your game.

Club manufacturers do a great job of marketing their new products and touting all the benefits of their equipment - improvements to the clubface, custom weighting options, new materials - but what they don’t tell golfers is that not every club and shaft suits every golfer. There’s more to a golf club than just look and feel Those other elements, along with aftermarket shafts, are what separate custom fitted equipment from clubs bought off the shelf.

Golf Digest Top 10 instructor Haney believes that an optimized set of golf clubs is the key to more distance. “Distance is so important, and everybody can achieve more distance with custom equipment. We see it with the touring pros. And that opportunity is there with premium fitters like Club Champion. The advancements we’ve had in equipment and in club fitting are just so incredible, that for somebody not to take advantage of it is a wasted opportunity.”

Most golf retailers use fitting carts provided by club manufacturers. While they offer options, golfers are unable to mix and match across brands to determine their ideal combinations. A traditional retailer will fit you for Callaway, TaylorMade or other manufacturer’s clubs using that company’s fitting cart. But you’ll only be fit for the shafts that are in their specific cart. The options are limited. True customization just isn’t possible at big box retail stores.

Chicago-based Club Champion along with other specialty fitters set themselves apart with a unique coupling system that allows for the combination of any head with any shaft. Because of this, Club Champion can deliver a Tour-quality fitting that produces longer, more accurate shots with a nearly 100 percent satisfaction rate from its customers.

The company’s approach is unbiased in that no specific vendor is promoted. In fact, Club Champion offers hundreds of shafts, many not available through most other fitters and retailers. The goal is to find the best combination of components to lower a golfer’s scores. In addition to its unrivaled selection of combinations – more than 35,000 – Club Champion stands out because its clubs are built in-house to exacting, unrivaled tolerances. Variables such as swingweight, length, lie and flex definitely alter performance. At Club Champion they calibrate their loft, lie and swingweight machines in every studio with those in their 15,000 square foot build shop, so you can be sure the club you hit in their fitting bay is the same club you purchase. This extra step is unique to Club Champion and makes a big impact on the performance of your new custom clubs.

The approach seems to be effective. A Golf Digest study found that eight out of nine Club Champion custom-fit golfers lowered their scores by as much as six strokes per round and added an average of 21 yards off the tee.
Who benefits most from custom fitting? There’s a myth that only “good” golfers should invest their time and money in a fitting, but Haney disagrees: “There isn't anyone who can’t benefit from club fitting. People just don't pay enough attention to their equipment. I guess they just think it's all the same, but it's not. If you get the right club for you, it can make a tremendous difference in your golf game.”

Leadbetter is on the same page. While he thinks Tour players are an obvious match for clubfitting, he understands that they have the ability to make adjustments to their game that the average golfer cannot. “I don’t think there’s any player that wouldn’t benefit from club fitting. The average player would probably benefit far more than even the Tour player would. Because to get fitted and have a club that suits their length, lie, shaft, flex, material and grip size...those factors make a huge difference for the average golfer to be able to reach their potential.”
Another big difference between Tour players and casual golfers is having the time and resources to devote to improving their game. “Players don't have a lot of time to work on their golf swing these days, so to actually fit a club to their particular swing can get really great results. Obviously, Club Champion fitters are the best at it, and with their stores around the country, people have access to all this information.”

According to Haney, instruction starts with the most fundamental element of your golf game - equipment. If he’s fighting his students’ equipment, he can’t get a true read of the problems. “If somebody's slicing it or hooking or pulling or pushing it, I want to make sure there's not something in their equipment contributing to that. If you don't get the equipment right first, then you're going to have to over-correct in order to get a ball flight change and you don't want to do that.”

Golfers who have experienced the gains and improvements after a fitting tout the benefits. Gary Lichenstien, who was fit with a TaylorMade driver and Callaway irons, says, “My distance off the tees has increased by 20 yards consistently, on occasion even more. My average score has dropped about four to five strokes on average. I feel over time, I can still pick up a few more strokes.”

When Club Champion says you’ll add 20 yards off the tee, they mean it. Whether a golfer is looking to buy new clubs or just upgrade his or her current set, Club Champion guarantees that an investment in premium club fitting will improve his or her game. Fittings range from $80 for wedges to $350 for an entire bag. Their Perfect Fit Guarantee includes free loft and lie adjustments and a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects. At Club Champion, you don’t just buy clubs, you buy guaranteed improvement!

“Club Champion truly is one of the most innovative club fitters in the business. They provide a consumer experience that is undeniably helpful for all golfers to play better. We couldn’t be more thrilled with our partnership with Club Champion.”
David Abeles, CEO TaylorMade Golf

“There isn't anyone who can’t benefit from club fitting. With the advances in custom fitting technologies to optimize your equipment, everybody can achieve more distance. At Club Champion, you get a truly professional fitting. They can actually prove it works. For somebody not to take advantage of Club Champion’s expertise, they're just wasting a tremendous opportunity.”
Hank Haney, Golf Digest Top 10 Instructor

I agree and disagree. If you are still figuring out your swing then I don’t think getting fit is best as your swing will change. But once you have a good base swing where you won’t be making drastic changes go get fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In most instances, clubs that are not custom fit are hurting your game.

i would be very curious to hear an oem's response to this. if stock setups are chosen to work for the majority of the golfers, i would think the above should read, "in some instances..." most seems like a stretch.

I didn’t think I was a good enough or often enough golfer to get fit. But I came around to the conclusion that fitting might be more important for higher cap players like me. I didn’t don’t have CC or PGASS close enough for any post-fitting adjustments so I went with a local guy, Scott Felix. Great experience. He’s the best money I’ve spent on golf. I was playing irons poorly fit (measured) to me.

I’ve only had the clubs 2 1/2 weeks. I haven’t been able to play as much as I’d like and get comfortable with differences in distance. My scores haven’t made the big leap but my ball-striking is much more consistent. A good fitter can’t fix my bad course management decisions. I know the improvement is coming.

I’m a big fan of the custom fitting process. It was great to be able to try many different manufacturers and combination to see what was best rather than what I could be shoe-horned in with only one manufacturer and its fitting options.

• Admin
i would be very curious to hear an oem's response to this. if stock setups are chosen to work for the majority of the golfers, i would think the above should read, "in some instances..." most seems like a stretch.

I think most OEMs now talk about wanting golfers to get fit. I know TaylorMade's CEO has a quote in there and Callaway, Titleist and PING have all put that information out this year. So i'm not sure.

I somewhat agree. But in the article itself it states that most OEM’s have a fitting cart with some options. I think those “limited options” are better than something “off the rack”. Would an option not in the OEM fitting cart be that much better? My guess is that, while it may be better, it would be marginal. Just the fact alone the there “some limited options” in these OEM fitting carts is A big advantage and benefit to the average golfer.

Yep, you can't overstate the value of disassembling clubs and putting them back together with the shafts aligned. Or of stamping your initials on a wedge. Or getting one of those high-$$$ shafts that add four degrees to launch angle while simultaneously knocking 800rpm off the spin...or vice versa. Yep, you can't put a price on that kind of advantage.

6 strokes and 21 yards is huge. I know I could stand to lose those strokes and gain those yards.

I got better after a proper iron fitting, but I also didn't do that until I had been playing regular and consistent golf. I don't think a person just starting out would benefit as much and can get away playing something off the rack as long as the have the appropriate shaft for them.

I think most OEMs now talk about wanting golfers to get fit. I know TaylorMade's CEO has a quote in there and Callaway, Titleist and PING have all put that information out this year. So i'm not sure.

maybe i'm being too pedantic about that quote, but i seems unfair to say off-the-rack clubs are "hurting" golfers. maximized? probably not. but saying stock setups hurt most golfers doesn't seem accurate.

maybe i'm being too pedantic about that quote, but i seems unfair to say off-the-rack clubs are "hurting" golfers. maximized? probably not. but saying stock setups hurt most golfers doesn't seem accurate.

You might be right about that. Yeah hurting golfers might sound off, at the same time, if fitting makes someone better and the goal is to score better, then it kind of is.
I would argue the goal is fun, but that's me being me.

I was one of the golfers who purchased off the shelf or at most took a few swings in a bay at golf galaxy. After my Titleist Thursday fitting and what I learned I will always get fit going forward.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My question is how much of a difference does a solid cart fitting improve compared a true no-bias fitting like Club Champion?

My question is how much of a difference does a solid cart fitting improve compared a true no-bias fitting like Club Champion?

Million dollar question.
Maybe the answer relies more in the actual fitter doing the work than anything.
Some love Club Champion (and places like it), others have posted about their struggles. To me options are always good.

The salesman in the store is trying to sell you what he has in stock and/or what he gets the most commission from.

Club Champion is trying to sell Club Champion services and/or whatever upgrade shafts are the most profitable.

A Titleist demo day is trying to sell you Titleist clubs.

NONE of these is an impartial scientist running your swing through a series of experiments to determine some essential truth. They're all pitching. They all get paid by selling you something.

Why does Leadbetter say that in "most" instances non-custom clubs are hurting games, but then cite examples of 5'4" or 7' golfers? Sure, people at extreme ends of the physical spectrum have unique needs, but I doubt that most people can't get a solid fit from an OEM fitting cart. Try a few heads and shafts, work on your swing, and go play...

Having been through a few fittings, and the one at the Grandaddy in particular, I agree with the article. I ended up with some things I’d NEVER have imagined and the numbers don’t lie in that the clubs I received are right for me

I think only good things can come from a proper fitting. If we are going to spend $1000's of dollars on equipment, why would you not spend it wisely on gear that is fitted for you. I think the average golfer might get intimidated of a fitting because swing flaws will be shown and they fear embarrassment. This is where the fitter can play a big role in not understanding golf equipment, but being a pseudo swing coach to calm them down. Fit to the miss to maximize forgiveness and understand what well struck shots can/will look like.

I went through a fitting from an 'unbiased' company once. Just a local owned shop, carried all the major OEMs and had just a ton of shafts (far beyond the 'stock' offerings). Spent an hour hitting different heads and shafts. Ended up with a My titleist 917 with a stock shaft. Weird how that worked. But don't get me wrong, I've never hit so many fairways as I do now, and I'm not real sure Titleist was on my radar at the time I was shopping drivers. The part I hated was I was indoors on a mat, which I never feel like I have much grip/traction on with my shoes.

I'm pondering new irons. I'd have to drive forever to find a titleist fitter. So instead, I'm going to go to the only course somewhat nearby and try a few different iron shafts in some TM clubheads, and then just order Titleist irons with whatever shaft I liked.

Finally, the one line in the article that got me was where it said "A Golf Digest study found that eight out of nine Club Champion custom-fit golfers lowered their scores by as much as six strokes per round and added an average of 21 yards off the tee." What were these people coming from to average an increase of 21 yards off the tee? Also, 8/9 golfers lowered their score 'by as much as 6 strokes.' To me, that reads that 8 out of 9 golfers lowered their scores, and one lowered their scores by 6 strokes. What was the average score reduction for those 8/9 golfers?

~Rock

To me, I see it as a question of what an individuals priorities are. Like JB, I'm in this more for fun, and of course there is also the concept of value. Sure, I want to get better, but when I went to Club Champion and had a driver fitting, the extra 6 yds of distance, and no improvement in dispersion, over my current driver, wasn't worth the $700 they wanted for the custom fit driver. Don't get me wrong, the fitting experience was well worth the time and investment, but the results weren't going to make my game more fun, and there was no bang for the buck in my case. Of course had that $700 driver provided me with 10 - 20 yds more distance, and narrowed my dispersion significantly, I would have thought differently about it, because that would be more fun!

I will likely continue to go the fitting route when looking at new clubs, just not necessarily going to go with the recommendations if I don't see a big enough fun/value benefit.

As an outlier on the standard shotgun approach to one size fits all system I can see the need to be fitted. I have read other articles that state a similar thoughts on fittings. Plus where almost all OEM's are starting to push for fitting there is little or no added cost to it, if you know what you need.

Custom fit clubs will help, BUT:

Ball. Stick. Use stick and hit ball.
I love to overcomplicate things. Fittings help improve results, and enjoyment of the game for me. However, most of my strokes are not lost on full swings.
Six to ten yard increase in distance or dispersion isn't going save me as many strokes as I'd like.

Was mentioned earlier, but fitters and salesmen are different. They are both there to make a living, but the product is different.

Course management and good execution is a must for great golf.

While there is certainly a benefit of properly fit clubs I'm not so sure that golf industry really ought to be making it the mantra. The battle cry of grow the game eventually runs in to a wall at some point when you now send the message that playing decent is all but impossible unless you fork over 3500 for a properly fit bag (or much more). I know some completely disagree and see ever increasing costs as a non obstacle, but at some cost point, there will absolutely be a decline.

Newbies should be encouraged to cobble together whatever the can and get out on the course.

Back when I actually worried about trying to improve and was hoping to squeeze every last stroke I could out of my handicap index, the only person I'd have trusted for club advice was my teaching pro. Nowadays I'm all about Awstyn's "Ball. Stick.Use stick and hit ball." and I'm all about playing, not practicing and taking lessons.

But if you're trying your darndest to improve your swing and short game, practicing 'most every day and seeing a teaching pro a couple times a month I just can't see going off to someone you've never met and trusting that in a 30-minute or 90-minute "fitting" session they're going to equip you in a way that aids your improvement process. Seems like most of the fittings I've overheard in big box stores and the like, the fitter spends as much time trying to tweak some hacker's ridiculously dysfunctional setup and takeaway as he does tweaking club specs.

I somewhat agree. But in the article itself it states that most OEM’s have a fitting cart with some options. I think those “limited options” are better than something “off the rack”. Would an option not in the OEM fitting cart be that much better? My guess is that, while it may be better, it would be marginal. Just the fact alone the there “some limited options” in these OEM fitting carts is A big advantage and benefit to the average golfer.

I think you are probably right about that for that majority of golfers. But I think most of them still need some help from a decent fitter to find what limited option works for them.

I'm still a big fan of Club Champion and other boutique fitters.

Back