Lamkin UTx Grips Review

Just received an email that Lamkin is running a buy 2 get one free promotion right now.

They are just got some for my irons last week.

Probably missed it as I am normally using Tapatalk.

I think I may take advantage just to stock up on UTx grips as they are my gamers.

I love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them on 4-pw plus my wedges. I absolutely love them, no complaints!

question for those that use these grips.
I normally swap my grips to try other grips so I have never noticed a significant wear prior to swapping.
I've had about 15-20 rounds with these on my irons and I've noticed a wear pattern on my 7iron where my left middle finger rests.
Is that a normal wear pattern for these grips?

I normally swap my grips to try other grips so I have never noticed a significant wear prior to swapping.
I've had about 15-20 rounds with these on my irons and I've noticed a wear pattern on my 7iron where my left middle finger rests.

Not for me it's not. I used them on my last set of clubs for a whole season, and didn't see any noticeable wear at all.

Some people have reported noticeable wear, others have not.

I personally have not seen anything near wear and that's after about 40 rounds past year and numerous range sessions. I plan on using them all year this year too.

And others have TONS more use on them.

I noticed a pretty quick wear pattern under my left thumb on my driver. Didn't really lose any grip in the area, but it was visually noticeable.

Not for me it's not. I used them on my last set of clubs for a whole season, and didn't see any noticeable wear at all.

Some people have reported noticeable wear, others have not.

I personally have not seen anything near wear and that's after about 40 rounds past year and numerous range sessions. I plan on using them all year this year too.

And others have TONS more use on them.

I was hoping to get the same out of them, I did notice that the replacements that were sent by them from my earlier experience with defects that they were a little firmer but still had great grip

I noticed a pretty quick wear pattern under my left thumb on my driver. Didn't really lose any grip in the area, but it was visually noticeable.

yeah its crazy, I didn't notice any loss of grip just curious to how it will perform with a that type of groove wear.

I noticed earlier than normal wear on my grips and it was first noticeable on the driver. I still had a good grip but definite early wear. Still one of the best grips for all weather conditions.

I've still never worn one out, and I play every now and again. :alien:

I've not seen them wear out either, makes me wonder if it's the grip, or the grip pressure of the golfer really.

My current irons have Golf Pride CP2 Wraps on them, but of course I have a set of UTX waiting to get put on them.

Debating peeling off the CP2's that I haven't even swung yet to get the UTX on.

Love the grips but I do find that it feels like I need to clean them after every round to get the correct feel. Anyone else?

Love the grips but I do find that it feels like I need to clean them after every round to get the correct feel. Anyone else?
Not sure yet. I only have 2 rounds in with these on my irons. These are the best grips I have used by far.

Every utx I've had on my driver sees abnormal wear around where my left thumb is. Only ones that don't are the lime green ones. The lime green utx seem much more durable to me. As T2grn suggested, it's most likely has more relation to the golfers grip pressure

My UTx lasted all last season, probably 2-3 rounds per month and 2-3 range sessions per week. Zero wear that I can see, and hitting them with Gripes maybe 1x per month has kept the grips feeling like new.

I noticed these did wear fast, less than a season. I had them on my woods and wedges. They started to feel slick, like I had to grip too hard to hold the club. Moved to another brand for woods. Trying the Crosslines now on the wedges.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I know everyone seems to love these but the Srixon irons come with these as OEM. Now, I'm not exactly sure they are the same grips because I personally have nothing positive to say about them. I'm not alone in that gripe from locals who have tried or own the Z745s or the z545s have the same feelings.

Agree to an extent. I think they do not have much tack even when new because it is a cord. As a result, they could seem as if they are wearing - everyone sweats in a different manner and will feel differently about a grip. I could not get along with Tour Velvets. - but hit the UTx with your cleaner and they will feel like new. I use a tube with nylon scrubbers on everything but Winn Grips and they get new again. With Winn, a light dab of water on a cloth.

Last edited:

i've never cleaned a golf grip in my 16 years of playing golf! these utx feel great to me, and i like that the standard size seems to be smaller than the standard size of something like gptv to fit my smaller hands. that could just be in my head though. i've had them on all clubs since the beginning of the year. we'll see how they hold up in the muggy and often rainy summer and fall months.

Agree to an extent. I think they do not have much tack even when new because it is a cord. As a result, they could seem as if they are wearing - everyone sweats in a different manner and will feel differently about a grip. I could not get along with Tour Velvets. - but hit the UTx with your cleaner and they will feel like new. I use a tube with nylon scrubbers on everything but Winn Grips and they get new again. With Winn, a light dab of water on a cloth.

Thanks for the tip on Winn grips. My old putter has one and I cleaned it one time with soap/nylon scrubbers and pretty much ruined it.

I've had UTx on all my clubs for awhile including a set of irons that I traded early last year. I clean them every few rounds/range sessions but feel like I can get away with not cleaning them for longer.

I couldn't tell you when but I had to replace the 60* grip. Between missing greens, practice, and carpet chipping it held up well without a lot of cleaning. When I finally would get around to cleaning it, the grip would feel gummy and like sticky candy.

In my experience the grips with more cord feel like they need to be cleaned more often.

I have limited experience with these - came as stock on my MD3 gap wedge. After maybe 6 months of play, very minimal usage at that, the grip was so slick that I felt out of control of the club. I keep my grips pretty clean, normally with a damp towel, and tried everything with the UTX to get it back to tacky. Gripes, light all purpose cleaner, etc-nothing worked. I guess these just aren't for me.

Terrific product from Lamkin. I use to be strictly a NDMC guy but when I got these at Legacy, simply WOW!.

Played my first round with these on everything, and I'm sold for good on these. Such a fantastic grip. I'll keep these on my clubs for years to come!

Also I installed all but the driver with blue painters tape and my air compressor. Install was fairly easy with this method (it was my first time installing on hybrids/irons/wedges). I also had zero slipping issues at all during play today. I chunked several shots really badly, and had no movement from the grips.

I'm really pleased with these grips, and am starting to look to stick back up on there's grips!

Back