Need swing tip/thought for flattening lead wrist

~QQ~

Reaction score
Handicap
I've recently realized through a lot of analysis that I have been cupping my lead wrist as I bring the club down and hit the ball. When I do this, I get a shorter, higher, and to the right ball flight. For some reason I just can't get myself to consistently get that wrist flat. When I do it's a thing of beauty though. :alien2:

Any mental thoughts or drills I can work on? I can do it pretty consistently if I'm just swinging the club back and forth, but at address and swinging to hit the ball is a different game. Thanks.

Buy yourself an Impact Snap training aid. You can thank me later.:act-up:

The impact snap will help for sure. It’s great.

As for a swing thought, I imagine my target is the bottom right of a goal net. Naturally I keep my lead wrist flat and hands forward at impact when I practice this.

Funny, I've had that impact snap up on Amazon for a couple of days now. Wasn't sure if it would be that awesome.

I don't know about buying that thing for $100! Go to your kitchen and get a spoon. I will link a video on how to use it. Fast forward to 5:13.

I don't know about buying that thing for $100! Go to your kitchen and get a spoon. I will link a video on how to use it. Fast forward to 5:13.

Hmmmm, $100 or the wrath of my wife. I'll have to consider.:beat-up:

I need to try the towel and tennis ball drills. OTT & no weight transfer plague me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the local bowling alley and buy a brace for your left hand(assuming you golf right handed) and put it on. Go to the range an practice with it on so you know how it is supposed to feel. (The guy I take lessons from did this to me for about 15 minutes, I could tell after that as soon as I felt my wrist break down when it happened. It will become memory on how it should feel)

i just don’t see this as a big problem...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i just don’t see this as a big problem...

Cupped wrist is the ****ing devil for me.

Check out golfdistillery.com

I think it is one of the most interesting golf read-throughs on the internet.

Cupped wrist is the ****ing devil for me.

but if it’s bowed that can be a problem too. you have to have some super fast core muscles and good timing to make that work. i think i’d rather cup than bow.

but if it’s bowed that can be a problem too. you have to have some super fast core muscles and good timing to make that work. i think i’d rather cup than bow.

I’d kill for a bowed wrist. Killllllllllllllll

Haha

Just remember your wrist angle at the top is largely in part due to your grip. If you have a strong grip expect some cup at the top. I think trying something like the spoon is a good start before spending money on a training aid.

Also look at Monte Scheinblum’s 300 Yard Impact training aid. I don’t think you need to buy it, but he has a drill on how to use it and you can do the same with your lead hand without the aid.

Also, like McLovin said, you can be too bowed. So be mindful of that as well. Especially since it can injure your wrist.

I definitely rather play with a cupped wrist than bowed. Bowed is harder to do. Right now I'm working on a flat wrist. I can play with it cupped with everything except long irons. Big slice.

I started using the SmartGlove by SKLZ in practice a couple of years ago. It works about like the spoon but you can hit balls with it. It’s not a quick fix by any means. It took a lot of practice swings but now at least the cupped wrist feels really unnatural when I start doing it and I can correct it pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the tips.

Mentally, I feel like I'm getting more lag when I "cup" my wrist on the downswing. I need to get over that. I can't seem to swing as fast when I keep my wrist flat. Hoping that is just about repetition. I can feel it when I keep the wrist flat and the ball flight is something to behold compared to that weak right pop up.

You can get a little more wrist hinge (lag) with a cupped wrist, but most of what you see is deceptive:

[video=youtube_share;pFLchZeN-ng]https://youtu.be/pFLchZeN-ng[/video]

Well 6 weeks later and I can't tell you how much this has changed my ball striking. Had to change a lot in my setup after getting that wrist flat to even a little more bowed and feeling like the back of my left wrist was leading the charge at the ball. I can actually hit long irons now. This is a little secret that had been alluding me for a long time and super stoked to now understand it!! No more pop ups to the right with my driver either.

Back