How Much Versatility Do You Have?

I am very versatile. I play really well 150 in, but I just have a hard time getting there so often.

I’m relatively versatile, I can fail to execute all kinds of shots.

I tend to fall back to either a low chip, or a high flop usually. If I can trust the shot I’m usually getting an OK result.

Below average versatility for my index. Almost all of my shots around the green are inside 30 yards and I have the low shot but the middle and high trajectory pitch both need lots of improvement as does my high, soft bunker shot. The aprons are mown super tight at my home course so my lob shot off of that tight lie needs to get much better. I have the low runner down pretty well but need to work on the low stop and check pitch shot that I was great at 20+ years ago before kids. I have the time now and a great short game area at my club so I’m planning on being much better around the greens by the end of the month. Today I’ll practice 25-45 yard shot for at least 45 minutes before my round. I really enjoy a 2 hour short game practice session sometimes more than playing 9 holes.

Last edited:
Around the green has always been my strength and I can pull off quite a few different kinds of shots. Lately though I've been adjusting to my new clubs and haven't had a ton of time to practice so it hasn't been impressive so I've stuck with some basics.

How Much Versatility Do You Have?

What used to be a weakness has gotten better over the last few years. Mostly thanks to some quick tips from the one and only Roger effing Cleveland at a THP event! I was talking to someone who at one time a long long time ago could have went pro and noticed how much I had improved and he said are you hitting chips with cut spin or draw spin yet? I was like.... um what? Lol still so much to learn!!

My short game (inside 85 yards) is the strength of my game. From a Phil Phlop to a low runner to my usual eye level pitch that takes a big hop then rolls out a bit. The low checking shot is the only one I’ve never had. Just because I’ve never practiced it. Never needed it. It seems like most people use the low checker off a tight lie, and very few of those at my nearby courses. So I can always hit a high soft landing shot.

This is probably a better part of my game. Which as typing this, just makes me realise how bad my game actually is, even off a 14.8 handicap.
Do I have versatility? Some, though not great. I usually stick with a 56 around the greens anywhere from 50 metres in. I am not good with putting or putting with a hybrid from off the green through the fringe (that hurt on Saturday) but will try it if I think it is the correct shot.

I think I really need to get Arccos to properly understand where I can improve the most.

There is no flop shot in my game. Everything else I'm ok with most days.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I need some more work on the low spinner but I do enjoy the high flip shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have none. Manly because I'm focusing on one particular shipping motion, ATM. It's getting more consistent and actually helping me save some strokes but I'm in serious trouble when I"m shortsided. I really need to work on a higher lofted shot and the dreaded flop (which oddly enough, I used to be able to pull off at a reasonable rate when I stopped golfing a few years ago).

I think I got up and down once in 27 holes yesterday. My best chip was ruined by missing a 6 footer coming back. It was one of those where you’re above the hole, short sided, and it ran downhill from there. Unless I hit the stick 6ft was as good as I was going to do.

I’m not very versatile. Flop shots scare the hell out of me and I’d prefer to never hit them. If I don’t blade them I’ll often go under them, hit it very high on the face, and have it go 15 yards when I need to go 30.

I’m usually an adequate bunker player, but most courses I play only have the occasional FW bunker and green side bunkers. Yesterday I found myself 3-4 times needing to hit a 50-60 yard bunker shot. That is a shot I do not currently have in my bag evidently as I either thinned the heck out of it or blasted it out 10 yards like I would from a greenside bunker. I can handle full shots from a FW bunker, I’ve just never practice the 50-60 range before. Not that so far this year I’m really capable of anything, lol.

Golf is hard.

Inconsistent at best, horrendous at worst!

I've got a very versatile short game. It's been described by others as pro level. The truth is it's pro level sometimes. It takes many hours of practice a week to be that precise on a regular basis. I say that as a complement to the pros. The difference between getting a ball 5-8 feet from the cup and inside 4 feet is huge!

Regardless, it's a lot of fun to stand beside your ball greenside and be able to review options for your next shot knowing you have different shots in your arsenal.

Zero versatility. I am just trying to establish a go-to shot for each situation that is fairly reliable.

I love chipping. I'm 99% certain I'm going to make good enough contact to get on the green so I just need to pick my spot and hopefully not hit it too long or decelerate.

I had a phase of flop shots a few months ago but it's a very low percentage shot. I practice it sometimes but in a round of Golf it's tough pulling the trigger on that, you have to be precise.

Bump-N-Run. Change trajectory on square face chips. Open the face slightly to reduce roll, etc. I like this part of my game.

I'm versatile in that I can produce the desired ball flight/type of shot. I'm not good at converting them to score often enough though as I either don't judge the break/distance well enough, or I miss the putt following the short game shot.

I try to practice as many short game shots as I can. But that's because I enjoy the variety of shots in the short game, so it's fun for me. I will say the 'low quick check' shot is one I struggle with the most.

~Rock

I pride myself on my short game, so I’m as versatile as I need to be if that makes sense. It isn’t the best, but it’s good enough to save a hole/round when my irons aren’t as sharp as they should be.

I don’t have a lot of shots, but two or three that I go to depending on the lie/situation.

Other than being a complete failure at the check spinners, I can hit most of the other shots pretty well.

I'd like for it to be more versatile or at least be able to execute the shots I'd like to hit rather than just thinning it or hitting it fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't go too crazy with it, but I like to have an available shot for most situations. So...moderate versatility.

hmm... I would have said pretty versatile before this past weekend, but I definitely don't have the low check spinner available on command, and the high flop had maybe a 40% success rate before I gave that up and tried some other options. I have a few shots and clubs I am comfortable using, but need to give some more time to that area of my game.

I'm pretty versatile and do a fair amount of flight and spin modulation. I like tinkering with the short game. I wish I were better out of bunkers, or, maybe, that the bunkers I play tended to be in better shape. Wet/hard/inconsistent conditions play havoc with me where I play. Does nipping a chip to 4ft. instead of playing and explosion shot off wet/hardpan sand count as versatile? :alien:

Very little. I also think versatility is pretty overrated. My inability to hit anything but a basic chip shot consistently costs me less than a stroke per round. Obviously I'd be better if I could hit more variety of shots but as far as I'm concerned I'll get more out of practicing basic shots.

I have about 3/4 shots around the greens but more often than not I will just try and throw it as close to me on the green as possible and let it run out.
Flops, checkers, runners etc are all possible with varying degrees of success

Back