Callaway Apex UT Utility Iron

Had a solid day with the 18* and 24* yesterday...shot that stood out was a 268 yard 18* stinger that's rolled through the green on a par 5....these clubs continue to surprise me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Had a solid day with the 18* and 24* yesterday...shot that stood out was a 268 yard 18* stinger that's rolled through the green on a par 5....these clubs continue to surprise me.

That is a freaking BOMB!

That is a freaking BOMB!
Landed like 30 yards short but rolled up their nice haha

Glad to see the additions to the bag's. Honeymoon still exists after a lengthy bit of time. Smiles galore

I installed a rogue 95 black 85x into my 21* UT and it is hilarious good fun.. I really like the slightly lighter weight, and responsiveness I am experiencing.

So far as I can tell, I think I like UTs with graphite better than I do steel. I seem to swing them more adequately that way.

I am officially in love with my Callaway Apex UT 18*. This club is so money off the tee for me. I love that I can get it out there around 250-260 and will still be in play even if I spray it. It has been my go to club when the driver is not working! Still need practice hitting it off the deck but man it still performs so well!

Won a Callaway Apex UT 21 degree on eBay with a NS Pro Modus 3 X Flex shaft, 1/2" over which is my length... Just need it bent to 3 degrees up and I'm good. Can't wait...might yank the Apex CF16 4 iron out of the bag. I've got an 18 degree XR Pro hybrid that I hit about 250-260, looking forward to seeing where this fits in the gap. I hit my buddy's 18 UT and was blown away with how easy it was to crank one out there and straight

Well, Haven't dialed it in on the full swing yet...ive used it as a literal rescue club out of woods, off hard pan, hard punch back in my stance but still figuring it out.

I installed a rogue 95 black 85x into my 21* UT and it is hilarious good fun.. I really like the slightly lighter weight, and responsiveness I am experiencing.

So far as I can tell, I think I like UTs with graphite better than I do steel. I seem to swing them more adequately that way.

Canadan - what made you choose this particular shaft? Is the weight difference of approx 40g between your irons and the UT a deliberate choice?

I play KBS Tour Stiff ssx1 and was wondering if KBS Tour FLT in R or R+ for the UT 21/24 will be a good choice. Or should I go with something like iRod in 85/95g? Any other graphite shafts that will mesh well given my iron shafts?

i know it would be best to get fit for the shaft in UT but I wanted to get some opinions before I spend the money (or avoid spending the money)!

Did you ever try with a Recoil? Every time I swing mine it makes me ponder getting Recoils in my Apex.

Greg - yes, I will try with the stock Recoil. I was just wondering if a little heavier shaft will give me a better weight progression from my irons, plus my swing path & tempo is much better (or less horrible) with a heavier shaft. The heavier Recoils have a lower launch than the stock Recoils.

An add on thought/question - will hybrid shafts be more responsive than graphite iron shafts of a similar weight?

My god this club has been a game saver lately, long, straight and In the fairway every time. Gone 3 rounds without the hitting the driver at all. Absolutely a get out of jail free card every time.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the 21 degree back into the back for tonight's 9. It's got a rogue 95x in it which I think might be a touch too light, but overall I think it's a fantastic profile at 21 degrees. My J15 4/5/6 is 22.5, 25, and 28. Seems like an Apex UT 21 and 24 addition is actually a really nice fit.

Makes me want the 18 degree -- A lot.

I put the 21 degree back into the back for tonight's 9. It's got a rogue 95x in it which I think might be a touch too light, but overall I think it's a fantastic profile at 21 degrees. My J15 4/5/6 is 22.5, 25, and 28. Seems like an Apex UT 21 and 24 addition is actually a really nice fit.

Captain, what's the shot selection you're using this club for?

Captain, what's the shot selection you're using this club for?

Anything more than 195 and less than 215 I think it's an open door. I've also been using it on a couple shorter par 4s off the tee for accuracy.

Anything more than 195 and less than 215 I think it's an open door. I've also been using it on a couple shorter par 4s off the tee for accuracy.

Lower flight than normal 3i?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower flight than normal 3i?

Not for me with the rogue in it.

The 24 I have has a Tour V in it and it's lower than I'd probably like -- Perfect excuse to extend graphite into my bag as far as I'm concerned.

Any discernible difference to the regular iron in your bag? What's the advantage/twist to the utility?

Any discernible difference to the regular iron in your bag? What's the advantage/twist to the utility?

Hollow body promoted added forgiveness across the face, and probably a bit of launch help.
Wide sole is going to let me bounce the head off the turf a bit better.

It's a great connection between iron and hybrid.

The 18 degree is a fantastic club! I have used it quite extensively for the past year and absolutely kill this club off the tee. That being said, I found this club to be one dimensional. I couldn't get it high enough off the deck to hold any greens so I switched to the 816 5 wood and am getting the best of both worlds.

The 18 degree is a fantastic club! I have used it quite extensively for the past year and absolutely kill this club off the tee. That being said, I found this club to be one dimensional. I couldn't get it high enough off the deck to hold any greens so I switched to the 816 5 wood and am getting the best of both worlds.

Have you messed with the shaft pairings at all?

At 220-230, I'm not sure I would be too concerned about elevating, but I've found that moving to lighter graphite made a huge difference.

I play my utility iron in an X flex primarily to keep the launch a bit lower. It's a fantastic tee ball for short par 4's. But it's also a fun club to use when the wind is quartering the hole. Mine is an 18, although not the UTX. Hollow body design is fabulous for the heel to toe forgiveness, and greater spring effect which increases ball speed. Like you said the wider sole helps with turf interaction. It's a beast for second shots into par 5's.

Have you messed with the shaft pairings at all?

At 220-230, I'm not sure I would be too concerned about elevating, but I've found that moving to lighter graphite made a huge difference.

I currently have an x100 shaft in it which matches my iron set. It works great off the tee and I get about 240 carry with it but no stopping power. I think a graphite shaft would be a great idea to help get it high. Either that or a lighter shaft. It really is a phenomenal club. I wish they offered more weights for the bottom to make the head a little heavier.

I currently have an x100 shaft in it which matches my iron set. It works great off the tee and I get about 240 carry with it but no stopping power. I think a graphite shaft would be a great idea to help get it high. Either that or a lighter shaft. It really is a phenomenal club. I wish they offered more weights for the bottom to make the head a little heavier.
I switched out the the KBS Tour in my 21° for an Aldila NVS 105 and it made a world of difference in the ball flight. It's got a permanent place in my bag now with the graphite shaft.

Yep... Early December can't get here soon enough. We'll see if I can hold off long enough without buying an 18* Apex UT, because wow I hit the 21 degree well today.

It was like a laser beam of success.

Back