Cut Matte Golf Balls

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
Some of you may have noticed I’ve been discussing matte golf balls recently and that’s because we got some Cut Matte golf balls in for review.

3c8001c1587a3e107c00aeaabab68809.jpg

They come in three super visible colors (and a matte white). And despite my firmly held belief, they are not scoops of ice cream.

0d574c69d15255df59112dc714974d06.jpg

From the company:

The Cut Matte line is for the player looking to add a little color to their game. Designed with a soft core and durable cover, Cut Matte Orange will deliver accuracy and excellent green-side control.

3-Piece Construction
Ionomer Cover Matte Finish
Soft Core and Mantle
314 Dimple Pattern
65 Compression
USGA Conforming

So what say you, THP? Are you a fan of the matte? And who has put the Cut Matte balls in play?

Last edited:
Cut Matte Golf Balls

Love that picture in the dish.
The packaging has a nice ice cream feel to it.

I’ve tried each of the yellow, pink, and orange during my recent rounds. Although they are the same ball, I have a huge favorite in the orange. That might be my predisposition to orange but I also think it pops the best in the rough.

Performance wise, I’ve seen some increased distance in my approach shots (not more than a few yards but some) but I’ve also seen a bit extra roll out on the greens.

For example, a high 8 iron shot that I would expect to be next to its pitch mark rolled a bit more than I would have liked:

fd8e721b326fd96c264e96ff6cc9e35f.jpg

It took a few holes to adjust to the lower spin on the approach shots but otherwise it’s been consistently performing.

c2ef97e264c2fdd57f8640359d3089fd.jpg

fc3a8ccb750df4c310550ee812f9926c.jpg

What do you think about the matte? Some people have reported matte balls getting dirty quickly, are you seeing that? I didn’t have that issue personally, so was curious.

What do you think about the matte? Some people have reported matte balls getting dirty quickly, are you seeing that? I didn’t have that issue personally, so was curious.

The longest run with a single ball was with the orange and I didn’t see anything that didn’t wipe off. I wipe the ball with a wet towel between each hole so that might help.

I’m curious about the yellow getting dirty because it is so darn light colored. I’ll try it tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

The longest run with a single ball was with the orange and I didn’t see anything that didn’t wipe off. I wipe the ball with a wet towel between each hole so that might help.

I’m curious about the yellow getting dirty because it is so darn light colored. I’ll try it tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Thanks. The yellow is definitely bright in hand.

I got this thing with me and colored balls. Don't know why, but my brain is telling me You've got to be kidding!!

Thanks. The yellow is definitely bright in hand.

So bright you really can’t see the dimples on it.

I got this thing with me and colored balls. Don't know why, but my brain is telling me You've got to be kidding!!

I find it strange on the greens, sure, but the increased visibility is nice. Do you think it would change after a few holes?

I picked these Cut Matte Golf Balls last year and I liked them. Even got a sleeve of Pink. They are very slick, not tacky like Superhot.

Be interested in your on going review.

I like matte balls in general. Those look great, especially the orange. Played half a round Thursday with an orange SuperHot. For me it's more about visibility. I think matte colored balls are easier to see in the rough, which I am frequently in.

I'll have to let my dad know about these. He wants to try the Vivid's but they're so expensive. He's playing yellow Q-Stars now.

I’m a big fan of the matte line from Cut. But then again I’m a big fan of all their balls (haven’t tried the cut red yet). For my game they are great balls. My brothers are big fans too.

I have a dozen of the yellow, but haven't gotten them on course just yet, but that could change next weekend. They are bright, but I like the look of them as well as how they feel in hand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I picked up a bunch of the MaxFly matte colored balls when they went on sale a while back. I'm personally a fan of the matte. Going to check these out for this season. Thanks for the post and review!

I have some Volvik Vivid, Callaway Superhot and Wilson Duo Optix all in red. So far I have only tried the Volviks, and they were okay.

The color is more of an aura than a color. Very hard to describe. It's just one of those have to see it for yourself things.

The color is more of an aura than a color. Very hard to describe. It's just one of those have to see it for yourself things.

Which color in particular?

I’m happy to report I played the yellow for (nearly) an entire nine holes in the rain. It was a soggy course and plenty of mud to go around but the ball stayed clean through each wipe. I was planning to snag a photo at the turn but of course I pumped it OB on the 9th tee. So through 8 holes the color stayed clean.

Roll out wasn’t an issue in soft conditions either. Here was a 7 iron from 165:

799ec5c92655a73b1f801f992e78afaf.jpg

And the above photo shows the “wear” through 6 holes. There isn’t any.

Which color in particular?
Really all of them but especially the pink. When I tested the Volvik late last year, I had orange. To be honest they were off putting at first they were so intense. Like many other things, after a few swings I really liked the color a lot. I've really like the Cut balls I've played in the past and these will be on my test them list for sure.

Really all of them but especially the pink. When I tested the Volvik late last year, I had orange. To be honest they were off putting at first they were so intense. Like many other things, after a few swings I really liked the color a lot. I've really like the Cut balls I've played in the past and these will be on my test them list for sure.

I’ve asked a few guys about the colors and one gentleman shared your opinion. He was not a fan of the yellow because it was too bright.

I’ll share a funny story about him in a short while - I know He bought some Cut Matte balls this week but the story is funny.

Maybe the yellow wasn't as shocking to me because I play yellow frequently (not usually matte though). The orange and pink are a foreign color to my game and the matte takes it to other levels, and then some.

Maybe the yellow wasn't as shocking to me because I play yellow frequently (not usually matte though). The orange and pink are a foreign color to my game and the matte takes it to other levels, and then some.

I’ll grant you the pink was an adjustment but I kinda like it. It drew a lot of attention (and a little ribbing) but maybe it distracted others enough to win some holes.

When I tested the orange Volvik Vivid, I took serious abuse from a few guys in my league. That never bothers me as all in good fun. After a while nobody cares.

Back