The Round (or Moment) That Got You Hooked

Initially I played golf starting at age 10 because my dad played and encouraged me to learn. It was that simple. But at this point I think of golf as a never ending series of "hook" moments. It is easy and impossible at the same time, and there seem to always be new and nuanced wow moments that set the hook deeper or re-set it. Even on those worst of days where I start having thoughts of disposing of all golf equipment on eBay, there is always some moment that grabs me and I endure the torture with a smile.

There was never a round or shot that did it. I started in my senior year of college with friends, and being pretty hammered every round, had a good time. It just kind of grew on me. Like moss.

I don't think there was a moment or round specifically. My Great Grandfather had a membership at the local Country Club, My Grand father had always played (his son) as well as my Dad was a good Amateur golfer. So, it ran in the family. My (twin) brother and I got some junior sets and we'd hit plastic golf balls back and forth at each other in the yard. We just kept getting better.

I guess I really started to take it serious when I won my first Tournament as a Sophomore in High School. It was a JV tournament, I was (honestly) upset that I wasn't at the Varsity Tournament that day. I was the 1 Man for that event and I cleaned house. It was a 9 hole event, I shot a 3 over 39 and won by 6 strokes. I look back on that, and the FIRE I had to prove my Coach wrong for putting me there instead of at the Varsity Event, burned in my gut. After that event, I was on Varsity for the rest of the year and the next two years as a Junior and Senior.

I think i was 11 and i was at my cousins birthday party. My grandpa bought him a full set of clubs and i took a couple swings with the driver and it just felt natural. Ended up hitting golfballs down the street and was surprised at how far they went and from that moment i was hooked

After taking some private lessons and really understanding my game. There's been some ups and downs (mostly ups) but there is always that one shot that brings you right back to the game every time.

It came in bits and pieces through the years.

The most graphic experience came with out of town trips with my high school buddies who are my closest friends. I hit a drive to where I wanted it, just between the trees. It was a wonderful feeling making the ball go where I wanted it to go.

I have prematurely white hair, so I look older than I really am, and there was a round about 10 years ago where I was introduced to a new guy. On a par 4 I hit a drive to 50 yards from the green. The new guy goes to one of my playing partners and points to me, "How old did you say he was?"

Probably the first time I hit a really solid iron shot.

When I was young, my mom came home from her yard sales with and old lefty 4 iron for some reason. I would take it out to a field near our house and hack some balls back and forth to pass the time during summer break, either hitting it backwards or trying to swing lefty...

Moment that got me hooked was probably years later playing a solo round with grandpas old clubs at the local course and driving the green on a par 4 with the persimmon #1 :)

Probably the first time I hit a really solid iron shot.

This exactly. It happened in 1978 when my dad started taking me to the driving range at age 13. I immediately quit baseball and started playing golf 3-4 days a week on a junior membership at the semi-private club in the small town in Wisconsin of 5,600 people where I grew up. By the time I was 16 I was consistently shooting in the mid to high 70's and golf has been a part of my life ever since.

Back