TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Gonna give it a go tomorrow, anybody used the iphone tunning tool?, is it worth trying?
The app is a very good starting point. Use it. Then be prepared to fine tune at the range. I wouldn't recommend changing it after every shot, btw. Hit enough shots that you see a pattern then adjust to make it better.

I'm going to have to get the shaft I'm currently using redone. Noticed this morning on the first tee that the logo was in the 9 o'clock position if looking at the butt. When I got the shaft it was at the 3 o'clock position. By the end of the round it was back near the 3 o'clock. So the shaft is slowly spinning inside the adapter. Still able to make good shots, so going to have to make it last through the last round of the tournament tomorrow morning.

I'm going to have to get the shaft I'm currently using redone. Noticed this morning on the first tee that the logo was in the 9 o'clock position if looking at the butt. When I got the shaft it was at the 3 o'clock position. By the end of the round it was back near the 3 o'clock. So the shaft is slowly spinning inside the adapter. Still able to make good shots, so going to have to make it last through the last round of the tournament tomorrow morning.

that is no good. Get that thing fixed!

Greg, I'm just picturing you swinging on the tee box and the head flying off and spinning as it goes. LOL Good luck in your tournament tomorrow.

The club offered me a loaner since they don't have heat to fix my club right now. I figure I'll use mine and if the head doesn't fly off, great. If it does, I'll have them being me an X2Hot.

That sucks good thing it did not break during the round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been able to get out twice now after the long winter hiatus. Still loving the R1, especially with the forgiveness I am getting on hits towards the toe.

The club offered me a loaner since they don't have heat to fix my club right now. I figure I'll use mine and if the head doesn't fly off, great. If it does, I'll have them being me an X2Hot.
Beware if you start to sense you are losing a little unexplained distance as this could get dangerous quickly. I had a similar thing happen mid round years ago with a fused hosel driver. I was perplexed as to why I was losing 30 ish yards on a couple holes. Well the next tee shot solved the mystery. The head flew off and thankfully whirled over the heads of my playing partners standing beside the tee box as it made a huge gouge in a tree behind them.

I've actually been hitting the ball pretty well...

TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

This club performed so well for me at the Invitational yesterday. It keeps me out of too much trouble, even when I don't hit it on the center of the face. This driver will stay in my bag for as long as it is in one piece. The new Big Bertha gave me some impressive numbers, but the R1 has been way more consistent, in my experience.

I've read somewhere on this massive thread that some of you have the R1 with the Oban Kiyoshi white in it, do you guys still love it? I am really wanting to buy this shaft since it seems it is a smooth feeling stick, I've been taking lessons all this winter and my pro shortened my swing a lot so one concern for me would be if this shaft feels like it loads even with a short swing but slow tempo, my SS is right now about 100 MPH give or take 2-3 MPH, and like I said I'm on the slower tempo side.
Anyone with any of the other Oban shafts in your R1?

I know this thread is pretty dead now, but here's my experience. I wish I tried the R1/Oban White combo before buying. My current setup is the R11 TP with Fubuki Alpha 60 S flex, and it's great for me. I also have a Kaili 60 S flex for the R11, which works almost as well as the Fubuki. With the Fubuki, I feel like I can be smooth/slower, or a little faster, and I get good results. With the R1/Oban, I feel like I have to swing faster to load the shaft, and I feel like I have to work harder to get similar results compared to my R11. I'm not sure if the 6 gram difference (63 vs 69) makes a difference, but the Oban feels stiffer to me. It's possible that years (r11) vs. couple of rounds (r1) is a factor. I've read about how smooth the Oban was all over the net, and I bought into it. The head feels a bit heavier to me as well. The launch is also lower with the Oban, but that's expected with the shaft profiles of Fubuki vs. Oban.

So, with your SS, and if you're doing ok with the stock R flex, I don't think the Oban will work for you, but this is just one person's experience. I'll try messing with the settings, and see if I get better results. If it doesn't get better, I'm going back to the R11. The Fubuki gives me a higher launch, but I'm more accurate with it. The distance is also a bit better with the Fubuki. If I need a bit lower launch, I switch to the Kaili. These things are like toys to me, and I like trying different options. I just wish it didn't cost so much to try them all. I guess that's what demo days are for. I wish I could use my R11 shafts in the R1, but I'm hoping to pick up a used Fubuki Alpha for the R1 and see how that works.

I tried the Oban Kiyoshi Purple 55 in another head, and that felt better to me. The Oban white in R flex might be better for me since it's a bit lighter... I hope this helps someone.

I went something like 60/70 (86%) FIR over the weekend with the R1 at Bandon. About 1/3 of the misses were OB, another 1/3 were playable and the other 1/3 just missed the fairway. There are some generous landing areas so the numbers may be padded a bit, but overall I was really driving nails with this thing all weekend long. It wasn't so long ago that I was searching for a low lofted 3W because I struggles so mightily with the big stick. It is SO nice to feel real confidence on the tee. #happy

what are the differences between the r1 and r1 tp?

Thanks for this thread. Just purchased an R1, found a 44.25" R flex shaft for it, and can't wait to see how it compares with the R9 SuperTri i've been gaming for the last 2-3 years. Appreciate all the insights!

Thanks for this thread. Just purchased an R1, found a 44.25" R flex shaft for it, and can't wait to see how it compares with the R9 SuperTri i've been gaming for the last 2-3 years. Appreciate all the insights!

Nice club - and Welcome to THP!

that was my move.........from R9 to R1......you will see a difference in sound and flight....for the better. the R1 is an underrated club......I love my R1.....I made the jump again this year to R15!!! you will love the R1 man.

that was my move.........from R9 to R1......you will see a difference in sound and flight....for the better. the R1 is an underrated club......I love my R1.....I made the jump again this year to R15!!! you will love the R1 man.
I agree with the bolded part.

I have hit the r1 in the past with the stock shaft 55 gram shaft , it was so so for me. I hit my friends boys r1 with a Oban Kiyoshe white x flex and was smoking it down the middle. Considering I have 95 mph swing ...what the heck ?? so i went to ebay and picked up a R1
kiyoski white in a stiff shaft and it is bang on. Loving this stick , I had been blowing it all over
the course previous with my g30 sft and Bio cell driver both stock shafts in an r flex.
My thoughts on the shafts the stock shafts were 4.0 to 4.6 in torque the oban is 2.7.. so maybe that is what the doctor ordered . I really love the head ..just solid , love the sound and feel . It's fairway finder, and in the bag!!
gb

The driving range I frequent has some of these R1 drivers still new in packaging for $120. I'm wondering if this driver is still relevant and if that is a screaming deal.

i currently game a Tour Edge X-Rail 12* draw driver and am pretty consistent with it. I feel the 12* loft is costing me yardage and the top line is starting to crack.

i also have a taylormade Burner 9.5* S flex. I can't hit this one very consistently. Still get massive slices from this driver.

Relavent? Sure. Its a few years old now. Not sure on the deal, that would really depend on how well you hit it.

Just my two cents ... $120 strikes me as more like a price that is in the normal-ish range for a 2 year old TM driver than a smoking deal, although my hunch is it is harder to find this model in plastic new any longer. Is it relevant? Yes, 2 years old is not ancient. The flip side is there have been a lot of releases in those 2 years so there are many options with newer/ different technologies to choose from.

Just my two cents ... $120 strikes me as more like a price that is in the normal-ish range for a 2 year old TM driver than a smoking deal, although my hunch is it is harder to find this model in plastic new any longer. Is it relevant? Yes, 2 years old is not ancient. The flip side is there have been a lot of releases in those 2 years so there are many options with newer/ different technologies to choose from.

I believe its 3 years old.
Going off memory here, but I thought R1 was January of 2013 and then R1 Black was June of 2013

I believe its 3 years old.
Going off memory here, but I thought R1 was January of 2013 and then R1 Black was June of 2013

That is correct

Back